“We loved it”

Milton's Country Lodge
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed here from 23rd to 26th August 2013 and had a lovely time.

We stayed in a cottage suite and it was great to have plenty of space instead of squashing into a hotel room. The bed was very comfortable and we were happy to find a thick, comforting feather duvet rather than a sheet and bedspread. The decoration in the room was lovely and neutral, nice furniture / sofas, nice size TV with free view . Bonus was a little fridge / minibar in the room filled with coke, lemonade, beers, wine and malteasers - I got a pint of milk and kept it in here as an excessive tea drinker. I also came across an iron and ironing board, a trouser press and hair dryer in the room.

The bathroom must be brand new, again neutral colour and perfect for our needs. Came with plenty of thick fluffy towels too (didn't have to nick the boyfriends for my hair for once). Lots of toiletries too. Hand soap in a pump rather than a fiddly bar of slippery soap.

We only had breakfast on the day of our departure (I notice previous complaints) however feel the breakfast was good quality and good value. For £7.95 you get a choice of hot items (bacon, sausage, egg, tomatoes, beans, black pudding). We opted for all except beans and black pudding and got 2 of each item. It came with white and brown toast, choice of tea or coffee, cereals / muesli, juices, fruit etc which to me represents excellent value when you consider the wide choice. I wish we'd had breakfast everyday

Hotel is situated on a quiet road so nice and peaceful at night. More traffic during the day.

Only downside was that after the first day the wifi stopped working. The owner tried to sort it out for us but wasn't able to. That was a selling point for us as we both have lots of gadgets and get twitchy without Internet access. O2 phone signal isn't great (data doesnt work) so we were relying on the internet.

Other than that, lovely stay, pleasant owner. Would like to go back again. Would have given a perfect 5 for everything if Internet worked.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Milton's Country Lodge

Reviewed 18 June 2013

Spent one night here away on business. The Room and facilities were fine, spacious and well appointed. Breakfast was a good start to the day. The owners son was very helpful.

For a simple business overnight stay it was pretty decent value.

Room Tip: Room 6 was fine with good en suite
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We stayed for 3 nights during the Easter and here is our review on this lodge.

<Room>

==Positive==

1-Very specious and clean. Our first impression on the room when we stepped in was “Wow”.

2-A bed was very comfortable and we had a good night sleep each night.

==Negative==

1-The room was so cold. Not enough heating system for the size of the room. We were given a tinny spare fan heater but not warm enough. I wrapped up myself with a blanket to keep warm.

2-Some electric sockets did not work including the bathroom.

3-Wifi did not connect properly. On the first day, the internet was on and off while we were using our ipads. From the second day, no connections at all.

4-A bad TV reception and usefulness remote control. I had to ask for new batteries for that.

5-Long life milk served in the room was expired two months ago. My husband used such old milk in his tea as we did not expect to be served expired milk and he was suffered from severe stomach-ache all night long on that day.

<Breakfast>

==Positve==

Good tea & coffee

==Negative==

1-Do not order English breakfast. The worst breakfast ever. We got ½ grilled tomato (normally tinned but we asked for fresh ones.), 1 sausage, 1 slice of bacon and a small bowl of beans. Cheap sausage and burned bacon. We saw a group of three in the room. When Breakfast was served, they looked at the plate, looked each other and put the plates on the side and walked out. They even did not touch their folks. I cannot believe that they serve such a poor quality food to customers and charge extra for it.

2-The breakfast room was cold. Again no proper heating. Just a small fan heater in the corner. I saw a woman wrapped up herself with a blanket.

We cancelled the cooked breakfast on the third day and the owner said,

“Great. Less wash up for me.”

What kind of comment is that!? She should wonder why people don’t have breakfast here.

I also mentioned that the breakfast room was cold, she said,
“Well we are so busy and people keep come in and go out all the time and the door hardly keep closed.”

Well, I only saw the group of three on the first day and I never saw them again and other people during our stay.

<Overall>
This is a great place to stay if you arrive late at night and just sleep over night. However, if you stay in winter or cold season, would like to enjoy breakfast, use your gadgets and watch TV during your stay, better to go somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2013

The hotel was clean and comfortable. The bed was just like mine at home so slept well. Facilities in the suite were good with plenty of choice with teas and coffee. Bathroom had under floor heating so feet always warm. Breakfast brilliant. Will book again

Room Tip: Just book it book it you shouldn't regret it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I was treated to a short break by my boyfriend and we stayed at this charming hotel. When we arrived we were shown to our cottage style suite by the very friendly and welcoming owner, who showed us around the room and ensured we were happy with everything. It was beautifully furnished and included all the right finishing touches in creating this quaint and cozy styled cottage. It also included the modern day commodities such as a widescreen TV , tea making facilities and a mini bar which made our stay comfortable and homely without affecting that romantic setting. The living area was very spacious and included a comfy three piece suite. The most attractive feature of this room has to be the bedroom area. There is an open staircase leading up to a mezzanine level which includes a luxurious four-poster bed which provided a very comfortable nights sleep. As a woman who packs too much, I was also delighted to see the ample storage space provided in this room ! And as if we were not spoilt enough by the living room and bedroom, we were provided with a modern and generously sized bathroom with a large shower.
We also arranged to have breakfast in the restaurant and as we expected, the food was delicious and there is a variety of food you can have.
This hotel is a lovely place to stay and is made all the better by the very friendly and helpful owner. We could fault anything about this place and I cannot wait to stay here again.

Room Tip: We definitely recommend the four-poster cottage style suite.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amy H
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I have traveled internationally extensively and found rooms to be a gamble when comfort is required. You will not gamble at the Milton’s Lodge in Bristol, UK as a room could not be more comfortable. I am 6’ 3” tall and the bed was better than mine at home. I was also delighted with the service and treated with the greatest of respect even though I am a “Yankee”. I was also very impressed with the quality of cleanliness and how though the staff was. When it comes to price versus value, the Milton’s Lodge is second to none. Rest assured I will be staying at the Milton’s Lodge next time I visit Bristol for pleasure or business.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank DaleLeor
Reviewed 28 March 2011

I visit the UK and Europe on business 2 or 3 times a year and always like to try smaller hotels near to the airports I fly out of. I spend my life in the large modern chain hotels and this establishment is a breath of fresh air. The rooms and main building are beautifully decorated and have a warm "at home" feeling to them. The beds and furnishings are ultra comfortable and the surrounding country side is breath takingly beautiful. Even the herd of cows next door are friendly! The English cooked breakfast was excellant and generous in proportions. The Manager was very welcoming and helpful and the service could not be faulted. This place is perfectly situated for Bristol airport and was excellant value for 95 GBPs (not to mention cheaper than their competitors). This is the sort of place I would love to retire in!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Redhill House
Redhill House
#1 of 2 in Redhill
Mendip Spring Golf & Country Club

Been to Milton's Country Lodge? Share your experiences!