“Place to stop going to whistler”

The Watershed Grill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Great local place. On the river really nice mountain views. Friendly staff, good food and local beer on tap. Relaxed environment. Stop, sit on the porch and have a beer you won't regret it.

1  Thank tom k
There are newer reviews for The Watershed Grill

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just got home from a lovely late afternoon turned late evening date at the Watershed Grill.

I thought it'd be a great idea to make a reservation because it was a hot Sunday. So I did a few hours in advance and was told on the phone it was "good idea" to do so. Thinking I was on top of the world and a slight genius for reserving a table I picked up my date and hit the road from North Vancouver. When we arrived our table didn't have a river view (I didn't ask for one but still...), rather every one else that showed up randomly without rezos sat by the river instead while we sat near the back of the deck. Gotta keep the regulars happy - fair enough.

Before we sat down though, we got to the deck and waited to be seated. A waitress said there was a wait so we should go sit at the bar and hang out for a while. I proudly exclaimed to her that we had a reservation. She rolled her eyes and repeated for us to go to the bar with sassy tone. She was a real treat.

We were then told it'd be about a 45 minute wait for food because the kitchen was backed up, so we just got appies which came within a reasonable half hour or so. So after arriving at 6:15pm we ordered our main courses at about 7pm and got our food at about 9:15pm. By this time the table behind us had had TWO parties of six come and go, the mosquitos were out, the cold was setting in and my patience was thinner than a vegan on a juice diet.

The food was par at best. Our server (not the veteran waitress from before) was actually very nice and apologetic for the wait. She should be promoted because nice people deserve better treatment in this world. The rest of the staff was about as useful as male nipples. They just wanted to close up shop and get out of there. This was evident by the stacking of the chairs on the deck around us as our food was just arriving. They had anything better to do.

I would definitely recommend The Watershed if you're in to being talked down to by restaurant staff, sitting in the same spot for three hours, paying full price and not being offered even a 1% discount for horrible service.

All in all though, I think I will return to The Watershed when hell freezes over, pigs fly or I'm at least 78 years old - I'm assuming I'll have all the time in the world to do nothing but wait at that point.

8  Thank Sullivancouver
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We reserved a table after stopping by and chatting to one of the waitresses, who told us to 'reserve a window seat on the patio beside the river', which we did. When we got there our table hadn't been reserved, and all the seats were taken. So we were shafted in a corner beside a fridge with no view. The host attempted to re-seat us when someone left but that was halfway though our meal. We sat down and waited for our server, who never came. Went to the bar and got our own drinks (ten minutes later)... I decided to get up and ask if we actually had a server. The tables around us were also not being waited on, and several people had to get up to ask for things. Eventually a lady came but it was the slowest service ever. Every time I ordered a drink, the server forgot it and so it came about half an hour later. The shame is, the food was delish, so cudos to the chef. Wouldn't return to this place simply for the absolutely terrible service. Didn't tip the lady, which was a first for me of my 11 months in Canada. Serving people is not rocket science. Figure it out.

4  Thank Rosie B
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Fun and popular spot with outdoor dining and seal/otter viewing on the Squamish river! Great atmosphere after any adventure! Great specials weekly keep me coming back!!!

2  Thank palmadora
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband and I came in during a weeknight dinner rush. We were greeted by a friendly server, a lady with long curly blonde hair and body tattoos who, despite the rush, was moving at a rather slow and leisurely pace.
We ordered from their good selection of beer as well as a beef burger and the salmon and prawn pasta. Their burger was good but I like the ones at the Shady Tree much better. The pasta is very delicious: linguine tossed in creamy tomato sauce with a generous amount of seafood. Delicious.
We had not seen our server since she took our order. In fact it was another server, a younger brunette with friendly smiles, who ran our food and ran our transaction. We had to order more beer directly from the bartender as she walked by us. It wasn't until we paid that our original server came to check up on us. Maybe she could have walked a little faster? I should have tipped the brunette server instead.

2  Thank Moondog604