“Lovely property, quiet spot, nice beach”

White Shells Luxury Apartments
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely property, quiet spot, nice beach”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We had a lovely stay at White Shells, which was very relaxing. The water view apartments were absolutely beautiful, with amazing indoor-outdoor living, lots of space and clever storage. We had a fantastic view from our rooftop spa. The communal rooftop pool was also great and quiet at the time of year we went.

We enjoyed the boardwalk to the beach which was very untouched looking. These apartments are perfect if you want to relax in peace. We enjoyed the Italian restaurant that is a few hundred meters away.

A couple of suggestions for management would be to ensure that communal areas such as lobbies and lift walkways are aired regularly, as they smelled a bit musty. And also to skim the rooftop pool more often. Otherwise, great. Thanks for having us.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
familyogfour, Owner at White Shells Luxury Apartments, responded to this review, 26 January 2015

I totally appreciate your comments regarding the musty smell and skimming the pool. We were undergoing a defect rectification process on all of the rooftop gardens by our builders and their contractors.
The residual smell you experienced was from the lift pads being in place for these works, prior to your arrival and whilst they are clean they contain a sacking fabric that causes this smell until it clears.

As to the debris on the pool top, the contractors were using polystyrene and dirt in the planter boxes and without any consideration for wind or our freshly cleaned pools. What could possibly go wrong..... :)

I would like to say that I only had to raise this issue with them once, but unfortunately this was not the case :)

The works were completed and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I like this hotel's attitude – enforcing a no loud party policy. This hotel is lovely with well appointed rooms and it is nice and quiet. There is a smallish pool and spa pools on the roof, with great views. The main downside is that there is nothing much in the area and this is a real problem if you haven't hired a car. The closest convenience store is 15 minutes walk away. If you want to visit a larger town, or to go shopping, you will have to use public transport and the buses are horrendously expensive.

Room Tip: We had a room with a roof top spa. Being up high was good, but I think if we went again we would pro...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We visit White Shells each year for a well earned rest because it is such a quiet peaceful area with easy access to the beach, great views, well maintained secure building & wonderfully appointed apartments. Any extra needs like early checkin are regularly happily met by the Manager of the complex.
This year at the beginning of our stay however the peace was shattered by incessant loud screeching & screaming of a bunch of selfish female guests. I called the Manager & she was very apologetic & assured us the noise would not continue. Happily it didn't as these 'ladies' finally went out & inflicted their loud behaviour on others.
We are stunned by the comments here. These 'ladies' showed no respect for other guests of the complex.
We will be very happy if they never stay again - please!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Maroochydore
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Last year along with a friend from New Zealand who had been through earthquakes, lost her job and needed significant repairs to her house I spent a relaxing week at White Shells Apartments and we loved it so much we decided to make this an annual event.

She now has a job, her house has been repaired and so we are booked to go back in early November.

My husband and I decided we needed some R and R so made a reservation for 20 September for 5 nights. On our first day there we were absolutely appalled by the behaviour of the women in the apartment above, in fact I thought I had stumbled on to "Schoolies" Week" with a mob of drunken teenagers.

I am even more appalled by the reviews written by these 30 year old so called "Professional" Women. I don't know what the "Profession" is but I suspect it is a very old one. The noise was unbearable with screaming and shrieking going on for hours. We went out for a couple of hours in the hope that they would tone down in that time but no such luck so day 1 of our break was ruined by these inconsiderate people.

At about 9pm I called the manager to our apartment and she phoned the women from there to ask them to tone down the noise. This was about 9pm and there was no screaming so I am absolutely astounded by the comments below.

The women went out shortly after and for the rest of our stay all was peaceful and relaxing.

On check out I thanked the Manager and asked her to ensure that we would not be subjected to such behaviour in November and was assured that these people would never be accepted as guests at White Shells again so at least they are in complete agreement on that.

We do feel sorry for the Manager in that her business has been maliciously attacked on a public website when all she did was respond to our complaint and of which I understand we were only one of a number of complaints.

We really enjoy staying at White Shells, the apartments are beautiful comfortable and immaculately clean. The manager and her team are all really friendly and they make us feel very welcome.

I would not hesitate to recommend White Shells to anybody looking for a thoroughly pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Valerie W
Thank you so much for your review and I am sorry that the beginning of your holiday was ruined by these inconsiderate guests.

I am often asked by our regular guests as to "what really happened" ?

This group of eight females booked two apartments and were advised at time of reservation that this was a quiet area and that there is a zero tolerance policy for parties and excessive noise. This was again discussed at check in and they signed a conditions of stay. They advised that they were a group of mothers just wanting to get away from their children and relax

We had extended an early arrival and they congregated in one of the apartments, which unfortunately was located above you) and proceeded to drink, so that by late afternoon they were very intoxicated, shrieking and screaming.

At 1900 they called and demanded I bring them ice and advised that they had taken the cover off the fridge icemaker and now couldn't get it back on or shut the freezer door. I asked them to remove the cover, shut the freezer door and I would fix it in the morning.

I then received your call regarding the noise and the screaming and came up to your apartment. And whilst there I called them and asked them to please be considerate of other guests and tone down the noise. They then went out screaming and shrieking for all to hear whilst waiting for the taxis.

I called them at 0900 the next morning to advise that I was coming up to fix the ice make cover and they advised that they had put the cover back on and all was fine.

At 1100 they called and said that the fridge was not working so I reset this and advised I would call in an hour to check that it was cooling down, and if not I would bring in a fridge repair person. When I called back they advised that all was fine and the fridge had cooled down.

On departure they advised that the fridge hadn't cooled down sufficiently and demanded a refund.

I was considering a partial refund.............. until I checked the apartment on their departure and discovered that it was a mess, the air con was left running on full fan set at 18 degrees and with all the external doors and windows open, which I can only assume was to damage this. I then checked their rooftop spa to discover that they had filled the spa with detergent.

As we were fully booked and with a guest arriving at 1400 the spa had to be drained, cleaned, refilled and rebalanced.

A fridge technician was brought in and we discovered that they had left the freezer door open all night and as a consequence had frozen the evaporative cooling pipe to the fridge. A hairdryer sorted this out.

When I called one of these guests to discuss this malicious damage and advise that due to this I would not be refunding any monies,I was abused and threated with negative postings on this site.

And whilst I only met two of the group of eight during their stay I note five posted reviews :)

Valerie, we look forward to welcoming you and your husband back again soon.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Beautiful spot on the Sunshine Coast with an amazing view of Mt Coolum. Unfortunately our stay was negatively impacted by the appalling behaviour from the hotel manager Karen. The way in which she managed different situations throughout our stay was impolite and most certainly unprofessional. In the end perhaps she recognised her behaviour and stopped being so rude but by that stage it had already spoilt the weekend. When people asked how my weekend away was unfortunately the constant unpleasant experiences with the manager was a standout.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Alexis R
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

The apartments are great, very spacious, clean and has everything you could need.....

Customer service on the other hand was the worst ive ever experienced anywhere. Incredibly rude and would not reccomend going there because of it which is unfortunate as the apartment and location were great!

• Stayed September 2013
5 Thank Groovydoovy85
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

I have never experienced such shocking treatment on a holiday. If i had not experienced it myself i dont know if I would believe it.

I have been to over 30 countries and work in the industry myself and have never encountered such disgraceful treatment by management.

We stayed two nights, Friday and Saturday. On the first night we were having nibblies and drinks on the balcony of the penthouse talking and laughing. We received a call about 8pm from the manager Karen. She was screaming down the phone complaining about the noise to the point we could all hear her through the phone. We were all shocked as we didn't believe we were that loud and the apartments noise constraints don't come into effect until 10pm. We didn't want the hassle so went out for the night at around 9pm.

The following day we noticed the fridge was warm so called to let the manager know there was an issue. We were again greeted with abuse accusing us of breaking the fridge and berrated about the noise from the previous night. The managers accusations were completely unfounded, she hadn't even seen the fridge and I doubt she is a fridge mechanic. We had to throw out all of the meat we were intending to BBQ and the manager never offered any compensation. She came up and turned the fridge on and off saying it should cool down. It never did and she never sent anyone to fix it.

This is completely unacceptable treatment, we paid for the penthouse plus another apartment and were never offered another room when the fridge broke, Nor was the issue ever addressed. We told the manager twice we had to throw out our food and she did not care one bit.

Things break, it can't be helped. Management normally do everything they can to resolve the issue without impacting your stay too much, this was the polar opposite.

It's a real shame as the apartments are lovely and we would have had a great time if the manager handled herself as such.

• Stayed September 2013
7 Thank meredith24
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marcoola
Mantra Mooloolaba Beach Resort
Coolum Caprice Luxury Holiday Apartments
Sand Dunes Resort
Sand Dunes Resort
#2 of 7 in Marcoola

Been to White Shells Luxury Apartments? Share your experiences!