“Wonderful Wedding Reception and Amazing Hotel!”
Review of Dunsley Hall Hotel

Dunsley Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Kinver B&B and Inns
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Wedding Reception and Amazing Hotel!”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We held our wedding reception here on 3/9/11. The service was ecxellent on the day as it was on the lead up it. We booked 12 months in advance and kept in touch personaly with the Owner and the staff on regular intervals throughout. All our questions where answered and all our needs where met perfectly. We had meetings with the in house DJ to discuss the entertainment on the evening. They allowed us to have a sweet stall and popcorn machine and even a bouncy castle (although this din't show up,but that's another story!)

On the day my Husband was given free roam of the hotal and grounds to get ready with his groomsmen and they opened the bar for them (which may not have been a good idea,haha!)
When we arrived after our Church service we were greeted,as were our guests and our arrival drinks were handed out. We were given complete freedom to check in,use the bar,explore the grounds,have photos where ever we pleased,the staff even provided a step ladder and helped our photographer to take ariel shots from a bedroom window.

The wedding breakfast was exceptional as we knew it would be from our 3 course trial meal we had a few weeks before. Full portions including wine samples,yum! My husbad is a chef so he should knowand there was not one critical word. 2 members of my husbands family has gluten and weat intolerence and they catered for their needs. Any other special requirements we met as requested,nothing was too much trouble.

The evening buffet was perfect,again,our gluten intolerent guests where catered for and as they couldn't eat as much of the buffet as other guests,extra bits and pieces where brought out for them when they requsted.

Everyone had a lovely time and the atmosphere was so relaxed and friendly. The hotel had a feeling of being just ours,with a real homely feel. The staff were all friendly and polite. They were extremley proffesional,although we did catch them dancing to the Macarina at one point,which,is the reason we booked Dunsley for our reception in the first place,after attending a friends wedding there last October and dancing with the staff!
Another nice touch was a birthday cake being brought out for my mother-in-law's partner's birthday,as this fell on the same day,with Happy Birthday sang by the Dj!

Ryan does a fantastic job organising the staff,our guests all comented on how polite and accomadating he and his team were.

The evening ended around midnight and there was no rush to push out our guests,goodness knows how long the staff where there afterwards tidying up the sweets and our table decorations. I was all packed up neatly in the reception in the morning so our sweet shop lady and balloon lady could collect easily and our cake and flowers where wating for us.
After a full english breakfast served by the staff to an intimate table for a guests who stayed over,they helped us load up our cars and we all left feeling as if we were leaving old friends.

The honeymoon suite was amazing. We chose the Throckmorton Suite with a hudge bathroom downstairs and a french antique style bedroom upstairs. My parents stayed in the Rose Room with a hudge 4 poster bed and beautiful viws of the garden. The bed was that high my mom couldnt climb on,this problem was easily solved by Ryan who provided her with some steps!

Overall it was amazing day with every need met,we felt extra special,which is just what I wanted for our wedding day. I would highly recommend this venue for any wedding or special occassion as the food,atmosphere and the service are wonderful and I know the Hall is going through some changes and improvments so it will be even better. I will deffinatley be returning when the spa in unveiled!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Polish first
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I have now stayed at the Dunsley Hall half a dozen times and it never fails to impress. The staff are superb, and always make you feel welcome.
The rooms are quirky and spacious, with four-poster beds in some rooms and very clean and modern en-suite shower rooms. You get fresh milk in a flask in your room for making tea or coffee and home made biscuits which is a thoughtful touch. The restaurant is busy and serves wonderful high quality food for a very reasonable price. All this for less than a room at any one of the major hotel chains. Fantastic value for money, highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Kinver, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We held our daughter's wedding (ceremomy & reception) at Dunsley Hall in October 2011.
We had a superb day and everyone who attended was very impressed, very pleased with the day. The venue is stunning and the owner and staff did everything that they could to create a perfect atmosphere from start to finish. Nothing was too much trouble. Arranging a wedding is a 'nervous' thing because you want it to be perfect in every way and when, as they were leaving, our guests went out of their way to tell us how much they had enjoyed the day we knew that we had got it right. It was described to us by a guest, who had attended many weddings, as 'the best wedding that they had been to'. We have no hesitation in recommending Dunsley Hall to anyone looking for a wedding venue.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Nigel S
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2012

last visited this restaurant last August, a night in the week. Hardly any customers there,very quite and gloomy atmosphere. Food okay.

Returned there this Saturday giving it the benefit of the doubt it being a weekend.
What a dissapointment again. Car park in darkness, not even the latern at the front door was lit. No welcome in the hallway, no staff in sight-went and sat in the "snug". The young man that came to see us was very sociable.

The table we were taken to in the dining room was bang against a wall on a very busy thoroughfare for staff and customers, which we refused and took another table practically in the fireplace. Heaven knows why, there was plenty of room in the main dining room. The small room lacks atmosphere and was like sitting in a doctors surgery. The room is too small and has too many tables in there. It could so with someback ground music at least to kill the silence.

The food was okay but the portions would not satisfy a hungry man.

After we paid the bill there wasn`t a member of staff there to wish us goodnight and thank us for the custom or please come again. Off we were out into the darkness again.

Will not return for another low key evening to spend my hard earned cash.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank niccy90
dunsleyhall, Front Office Manager at Dunsley Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
I am so sorry that you felt you had a poor service at Dunsley. We always prefer to be told on the evening especially Chef if you wish to have more vegetables with your food or, that there is anything else not to your satisfaction.

Unfortunately, the light did go that evening and as it is a specialist light fitting the staff could not replace the bulb that evening. I appreciate this seems an excuse but health and safety do not let unqualified staff replace electrical items. Yes, I feel so unhappy that there was no one at reception to greet you, this was unprofessional. I do hope this does not put you off coming to Dunsley Hall again and if you do PLEASE tell us there and then if you are not satisfied.
Regards Ryan.
england
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We held our wedding reception on October 1st, at this wonderful hotel. All the staff were so professional and welcoming, that it made the whole occasion stress free and full of joy. The location is so beautiful, even more so on an Autumn evening, ( we were so fortunate to have 26degree heat and the french doors open onto the patio area), with the colours of the trees and surroundings just spectacular. The hotel rooms are all unique and so comfortable, and we had a delicious breakfast the following morning.
Highly recommend for a wedding venue, and for a lovely night away, as the food is superb and with such a relaxing environment you are sure to come away relaxed and refreshed.
Thank you so much to Terrie, Wilf, Simon and all the wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Beautiful view from Rose Room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Stourbridge,West Midlands
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Visited Dunsley Hall recently for Sunday lunch and which also coincided with my birthday.Had a nice meal in very pleasant surroundings.Service was pleasant and not at all stuffy.
Unfortunately on paying the bill on us leaving we were informed there would be 2.5 % charge for payment by credit card.I had no other means of payment so reluctantly paid.I was informed that by debit card there was no charge.Not much use to me.
I have visited,ate and stayed at many top establishments and this charge of 2.5.% I have never come accross.Dunsley Hall need to keep customers and not let customers leave with the wrong impression of the place.My impression was one of being ripped off.I shall now think twice about visiting again as there are other nice places which have no charge.Come on Dunsley think about it.Build a reputation not lose it as soon as you get up and running.
Shows a real lack of professionalism and possible money grabbing attitude.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JB4
dunsleyhall, Owner at Dunsley Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am sorry that you have taken the decision you have over the 2.5% charge which is clearly stated on our reception, but we feel it is unfair to penalize others who pay by debit card and cash, or to increase our prices another 2.5% overall which is what others companies do to cover their charges.

We do not ask for a gratuity payment also, as we feel it is only justifyable if you have had a good service and food, then its only right that you decided what you give and not charge 12.5% gratuity fees. I relation to being ripped off we feel your challenge should be to the banks and merchant services, and others such as American Express and Diners Card who, due to high charges we no longer accept.

If you e-mail me personally I will be more than happy to hand over the name and address of the banks merchant services for you to challenge them on their charging structure to small businesses.

I hope this puts your mind at rest and your feelings of Dunsley being a money grabbing business.

Regards

Wilf Beardsmore Owner.
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I have visited Dunsley on four occasions with my partner, and we have always had a great time. Although we have not stopped overnight we intend to do so soon. Great setting and relaxing and a very regal and historic building. We have dined on the evening and also enjoyed great sunday lunches which for the quality of the food are very reasonably priced,
we relaxed on the terrace afterwards and were made to feel welcome and not rushed, The food was excellent and well presented and all the staff were A+
Looking forward to the new health club etc.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinver
Hogarths Stone Manor
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Stourport-on-Severn
Himley House Good Night Inn Hotel
The Granary Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Dunsley Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!