“Bewildered”

Ranked #1 of 1 Kinver B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Bewildered”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Having read a negative review for this idyllic retreat I'm bewildered as to what exactly was the problem; and at worst was I in the same location as the other whinging guest?
My experience on the 29th of March was one of a friend enjoying a true family wedding. Terrific staff and fast moving scene shifting - worthy of a RSC production.
Nothing was too much trouble. And for those of you folk with a disability this is the place to come. My severely autistic son turned up suited and booted for the evening celebrations and could not have been greeted in a kinder way than if he'd been the star turn. As a footnote I left that night and on the way home realised I hadn't paid my bar bill. When I called the next morning there was little fuss. Can you imagine that in a big chain hotel? Please give this place a go. I, for one will be going there again.

1 Thank llewela b
benjaminrobbins, Owner at Dunsley Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Thank you for coming back and paying your bar bill. So kind of you to be truthful and trustworthy. I am glad you enjoyed the wedding so did we. We look forward to seeing you again.

Wilf and the Team x

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I attended my sister's wedding here, the setting is absolutely beautiful and the rooms were 5* quality, so clean and had everything you needed. We were made to feel so welcome and relaxed by every single member of staff, they were on hand to help and accommodate us at all times. The food was absolutely gorgeous, really generous portions and gorgeous flavour, this also goes for the breakfast. The management, waiting staff and bar staff were all so helpful and friendly which allowed us to enjoy our family wedding with no worries, the staff made the day go so smoothly. The setting in itself is beautiful, for the wedding and I can imagine for a lovely meal or afternoon in the gardens. Everywhere was spotless and if anything was needed the staff were more than happy to help. I cant recommend Dunsley Hall highly enough and I can't see any evidence of the negative comments posted on here. I will be back in the future without a doubt and look forward to the same wonderful experience. Thank you to everyone at Dunsley Hall

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your kind review and we look forward to seeing you again.
Burton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

In March 2013 I had the great honour when my then girlfriend agreed to become my wife upon my proposal; We then started to look for the ideal setting for one of the biggest day of our lives. We came across Dunsley Hall, Kinver whilst searching around for venues across the West and East Midlands and from the moment we walked through the door on that Saturday afternoon we knew this place had the personal touch we’d been looking for. The following 12 months Wilf and the Dunsley team of very experienced staff helped us plan and develop ideas for our day; they listened to what we wanted and helped us where we needed advice (this was the first and last time we’re getting married so we were novices at the wedding malarkey). In no way did we ever feel pressured as they knew the day should be created around us and our family and friends. On the 29th March twelve months on I can truly say from the bottom of mine and my new wife’s heart they delivered the PERFECT day for our wedding. Upon arrival my wife was provided with the most remarkable room and service for the bridal party to dress and prepare for our wedding that morning. Upon my arrival I was greeted with the same level of service and support as yes I was nervous as I’ve ever been in my life but the one thing I knew which helped was all the planning leading up to this day with Wilf and Dunsley Hall team gave me great confidence I could rely on them. Then the 100 guest started to arrive and the Dunsley Hall team stepped in to action guiding guest and catering to their every need which again made me relax waiting for my bride to arrive. The main room for the ceremony was set out perfectly with the intimacy at the registrars desk at the French windows overlooking the beautiful gardens for close family and friends as well as the remainder of the room set up for the other guests looking on. Once again the Dunsley Hall team made the ceremony go perfectly from which we ventured out on to the forecourt and gardens to enjoy amazing photo opportunities with a glass of the sparkling stuff. Following this came the wedding breakfast which had been pre-planned to perfection with each guest having the choices of 3-4 dishes on each thee courses with extra effort being made to cater for carnivores, veggies, vegans and glutton free guest. Upon service to the 100 guest it was streamlined and well perfected and on later asking how they found the food every single person said it was unbelievable and one person quoting “it was the best meal I've ever had”. Once again I can only thank the chef at Dunsley Hall for the quality of food provided. After speeches and such like the evening events began though to midnight with plenty of fun and dancing including the technical facilities and support to enable live music and singing for our first dance and then our DJ to play into the night. The bar was plentiful in variety of choice to accommodate our guests’ needs with excellent and sufficient bar staff on hand. Once again the evening buffet we had chosen with the guidance of the Dunsley Hall chef which was of the highest quality and again with all the guests and my new wife feeling very impressed. Throughout the day and night the Dunsley Hall team were always there in providing a quality of service which was second to none but somehow stayed in the background and did not impede on the relax atmosphere of our perfect day and in many ways it felt like they were part of the family helping celebrate our big day. Dunsley Hall also provide as part of our wedding package all of their luxurious rooms of which had top marks from all our guests and the bridal room for myself and my new wife was exceptional and full of history. The following morning after for the 24 guests who were staying over in the Hall we were again treated to a very nice and intimate breakfast of superb food and quality of service which enable the fun events of the wedding day and night to be recalled with a lot of a smiles and laughter. In summary this is the perfect venue for a wedding with the support of experienced friendly staff (who I would happily call friends now) to give you the confidence you need to have an amazing wedding which lets you concentrate on being in love and enjoying the company of your family and friends whilst all the hard work is undertaken by the Dunsley Hall Team. To some up quotes from a few of our family and guest “even though it’s a grandiose Hall It felt as if it was our home for the day”

If you want the best service and quality of food in a beautiful location with history and amazing gardens for that perfect photo opportunity I would urge you to pick Dunsley Hall as it ticks all the boxes.

I’ll say it again it was PERFECT – thank you Dunsley Hall

Room Tip: Speak to the management team for any special requirements as they are very accommodating to help the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
benjaminrobbins, Owner at Dunsley Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you both so much for posting your review. It will help when other future brides and grooms look at us for their special day. May we wish you both the very best for your future and look forward to seeing you again xx

Wilf and the team
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I cannot commend this gem highly enough! From start to finish our daughters wedding has been a wonderful success. Everyone felt so welcome and the staff allowed us to have the run of the place - giving the feeling of an intimate house party - all the guests commented on how comfortable they felt as if we were welcoming them into our home! This was due to the helpful but unobtrusive team -THANKYOU! Despite catering for over 100 guests the food was first class :- fresh , hot , beautifully presented and full of flavour! An excellent choice and later a fantastic buffet and a lovely breakfast the next day. The setting is perfect and the hotel clean, stylish, luxurious and at the same time comfortable and homely. Nothing was too much trouble and at no time did we feel rushed despite the fact that the hotel was fully booked for Mother's Day lunches and teas on the day of departure ( a fact we only discovered on the website) I am perplexed by some of the negative reviews on here as I can honestly say non of these sound like the same place! THANKYOU Wilf and the whole team for all your care and attention and congratulations on providing what must be one of the best wedding venues in the country!

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. We have printed it off like we do all reviews and posted it on the staff board. We are so proud of our staff and how hard they work and look forward to you coming to see us soon

Wilf and the team
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We booked Dunsley Hall as a base for exploring the west midlands black country -- and its good for that. The hotel is small and we seemed to be the only guests staying for a couple of nights - we had the dining room to ourselves which can be rather nice when in splendid baronial style surroundings. It was disappointing that the service required prompting a couple of times - no tumblers put out when we asked for mineral water and astonishingly it did not dawn on the waiter to give us serving spoons with the vegetable dishes!

Bedrooms are lovely and well cared for. Again the poor service comes to the fore - we have to phone down one night to get a second bath towel. It arrives with the night porter pointing out to us that it was probably there all the time under the one towel we had found on the towel rail. People who stay in a hotel like this are very unlikely to be that thick!!!! Its really depressing that guests can be talked to in this way.

We had quite a lot of extras to pay for - mysteriously, although we paid in full in advance for the accommodation by credit card we were required to produce a debit card for the extras. No explanation given and just another example of the guest unfriendly experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Frank S
benjaminrobbins, Owner at Dunsley Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
May we say we are so sorry that this was not brought to our attention throughout your stay. Its so easy to resolve and put matters right when addressed immediately. All the times we spoke to you never did you bring up any of the issues raised in your review. It hurts to think that you also feel that items had mysteriously appeared on your bill when clearly they were purchases you made.

You booked dinner in the restaurant on your second night and as your booking was only bed and breakfast these were the only extra you incurred. we would be more than happy to send your invoice again if you wish.

Terrie Beardsmore owner of Dunsley Hall
Willenhall,West Midlands
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Over the last 8 months up until our daughters wedding 8 weeks ago I cannot fault Wilf and his team.At all times every member of staff was courteous, polite , professional and welcoming. Wilf could not do enough from the moment we went to view this wonderful ,majestic building until the final departure the morning after the wedding.The meals and the afternoon teas that we have had here have always been a culinary delight .The food has always been exceptional and the chef is always keen to discuss his 'masterpieces' ensuring an excellent service.Personally I believe that this venue and staff is 'a hidden gem'.I could not find fault with anything and struggle to understand some of the recent comments posted on this site.We booked all the bedrooms and each one was quirky,individual and immaculate. Dunsley Hall is a must to stay , have a meal or just afternoon tea.I travel the country and overseas frequently ,staying in various hotels etc. ,and can honestly fully recommend this venue for its hospitality and excellent level of service and food.

Room Tip: All rooms are brill , but our favourite is 'The Rose' room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Stevei
Thank you so much for your review.
england
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Firstly,i will say that i always write honest and fair reviews,....

We had booked a room for my moms 70th birthday at 70.00...so you would think that a sign would be put on the door to stop people wandering in....er ..no!!

Two of the party who couldn't pre order were totally forgotten about and had to order as our starters were coming out,which ment we had all finished by the time they got theres....
I had the terrine,which I can say with total honesty ,was tastless and I have no idea what the chutney was ment to be,but again....not good...nicely presented tho.
every single meat dish had o go back as they were cold......my main,the veggie dish was just revolting,some over dry bits off butternut squash,i left it all.the veg howerever were very nice.

the sweets.....bread and butter pudding with current....yes I did say "current" thrown from a great hight,obviously the chef had run out that day...was served as it was,no custard or cream choice.two exta puddings were offered that we hadn't even ordered...but the brownie was to die for,really really good and very well presented.
over all the food wasn't good,way too many people booked in in my opinion.
the waiting staff were all lovely,especially the young blonde lad who was very funny and the young foreign lady who took the payment credit to you .
I did see the owner once,who asked me briefly if everything was ok,i said simply "yes thank you" as he has 3 other guests with him,and I dint want to bring any problems up in front of them...its a shame he didn't think to do the same,when he went into the room earlier on and asked"do you have a cake",infront of my mom!!!! as it was MENT to be a surprise,she didn't know about!.i left in in the car,as I had asked if I could bring it down before hand on the Saturday,and was abruptly told "NO,WE HAVE A WEDDING ON"...
Beautiful grounds and stunning place,but if youre going to serve food,it need to be good,and frankly....its not!

3 Thank EnglandLizzy
We are so sorry that this has happened and have left messages to see if we can resolve the matter face to face. I did ask as you say if everything was okay and at the time of asking I was never led to believe that there was a problem, nor were non of the waiting staff informed.

Its a shame that we are not told on the day so any issues can be addressed immediately.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinver
Premier Inn Stourbridge Town Centre Hotel
Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
#7 of 20 in Wolverhampton

Been to Dunsley Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!