“Friendly and welcoming”

Ranked #12 of 16 Restaurants in Framlingham
Price range: US$3 - US$27
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A typical English country pub on the outskirts of Framlingham & next to Framlingham Castle, serving local ales in prim condition with pub type food and country food specials all sauced locally and produced in house. Tea and coffee with cakes is available if that is your preferred choice. Be assured a warm welcome awaits you.
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stopped off at The Castle Inn on our way to Aldeburgh having been recommended it by a friend. When we arrived (mid pm on a wet November Friday) we were the only visitors. We were made to feel most welcome and we were assured that there was no issue with us ordering food. In short order a lovely Cabbage and bacon soup together with a bowl of proper home made chips was presented to us. Nice to see something other than tomato and basil which seems to be the soup on offer at every pub in Britain at the moment! Parking is next to the Pub in the English Heritage car park for the Castle (£2 - all day IF the castle is open, otherwise free). P.s - dog and child friendly.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Walked past this quaint pub on my stroll to the castle with my dog Koda. As I walked in the landlady said, "hello come in, dogs are welcome all are welcome." Food is served on a Saturday up until 3pm. I returned before 3pm and ordered a fresh baguette with ham and tomato. The food arrived promptly and the drink was brought to the table. I was able to sit down in the bar area with my dog and read my newspaper. The food was fresh, the baguette very tasty and the quantity of ham and fresh tomato was very plentiful. It was value for money and I felt the service was good. As I left, the staff said goodbye which is a nice touch and something that rarely happens when I eat out. Food in the castle is limited as there is no cafe so I would recommend a pit stop here for your afternoon snack attack. Home made cakes were also on offer alongside a wide range of flavoured teas. If what you want is not on the menu, just ask, they are very flexible.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

On our recent visit to England we stopped in here after the castle for a quick pint. They had my new favorite Aspall Cider on draft so I was content. We sat outside with our 2 year old and just snacked on chips and chicken. They were great! We were back and forth from the small pond across from them to play a bit. When I asked about buying a glass to have at home they were amazing! I was able to get a very cool Aspall goblet. I love it! One of the owners also helps out a local charity that helps chemo patients. (I think I remember that correctly.) Please donate when you stop in!!

Thanks for a lovely afternoon!

Reviewed 24 September 2013

This pub is situated adjacent to Framlingham Castle and is in an excellent position to serve food and drink to visitors. There was a good selection of snacks, light lunches and cooked meals but it was all rather average. However it was not overpriced and I would still recommend it to hungry and thirsty visitors.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

This inn is excellent. We sat outside in the sunny courtyard after visiting the nearby castle. Their special offer was pimms at a very good price. It was perfect on a late summer day. Our food was plentyful, good jacket potatoes and great salad. No wonder they were busy. The owners deserve it