“The Crown”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Framlingham
London, United Kingdom
“The Crown”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Crown last month and had a fantastic stay at the hotel. The staff were great, had lots of interesting knowledge about the history of the hotel and were very polite and attentive. The room we had was lovely, we had a whole selection of herbal teas and coffee and the room was stylish and very comfortable. We ate in the restaurant and had delicious food, as a vegetarian I often find restaurant food can be boring and repetitive but the menu had some really interesting vegetarian options and my main of truffle macaroni was incredible! The wine was reasonably priced and the local cheeseboard was also fantastic, the waitress could tell me which cheeses were vegetarian and could also tell us who supplied the fish which my partner had. We also had breakfast in the hotel, the breakfast menu for meat eaters had a great selection and my partner had eggs benedict which he really enjoyed. The vegetarian selection at breakfast was slightly disappointing, there wasn't as much "hot" food to choose from, it would maybe be nice to have a greater selection of cooked veggie breakfast such as mushrooms on toast or grilled tomatoes on toast. I asked for scrambled eggs and the waitress said that was not a problem but it didn't look as special as my partners food! Aside from that very very small complaint, we had a fantastic stay at the Crown and will be recommending to all our friends and family, hopefully we'll be back soon!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pattycake0489
David C, Owner at The Crown Hotel - Framlingham, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you very much for your very kind review. I have spoken with chef with regard your comments about vegetarian options at breakfast and he is in complete agreement and a revised menu is being prepared.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Although the surroundings were beautiful, and I enjoyed Framlingham as a town.I think the crown advertising themselves as the heart of the community is an insult to Framlingham. I found the food over priced, and the quality and taste lacking. The decor was not 'stylish' as advertised, but random and ugly. Although some of the staff were very friendly and inviting, the owners do not seem to understand how to treat a customer and need some serious lessons in customer service, and need to learn to not be rude, immature and proud. I wouldn't go again, even if I was paid too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank hannahj34
David C, Owner at The Crown Hotel - Framlingham, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
I accept your criticism that I am proud - I am. I am proud of The Crown, proud of the customer service that we offer and proud that we will not allow the threats and bad behaviour of the minority to spoil the enjoyment of staying at The Crown for the majority. We very much care about our customers and it is not in the interests of the majority to allow the minority to behave without any consideration for their surroundings or for other guests. Sometimes the interest of customers is best served by saying "no".
Readers of this review should look at the many others on this website which are completely at odds with this, to use your word, "immature" review.
You say that you would not come here again "even if I was paid too." (sic) - I was happy to read that. We , that being owners and staff alike, work extremely hard to ensure that people enjoy their stay here and I am happy in the knowledge that we provide excellent customer service - very occasionally a customer fails to behave in a manner appropriate for civilised surroundings.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My family and I stayed at The Crown Hotel over the bank holiday weekend and had a very enjoyable weekend. The owners and staff were helpful and friendly: the rooms very clean and we had a beautiful four-poster bed. Dinner and breakfast were excellent - there is lots to choose from so something to suit everyone. We had pork loin and chicken burgers which were absolutely delicious. The breakfast was a good portion size and lovely too. The town is very pretty too with a market on Saturdays. We will definitely come back - not a bad word to say about our stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan P
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here and do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed for one night in March, and went for a feature room, which faced over the front of the hotel, and had a four poster bed, and a roll-top bath. We loved the room, it was lovely. Staff all very helpful, both at booking stage, and once we arrived.
We ate in the restaurant, and really enjoyed our meal, some less common dishes, such as the pigeon breast with a rabbit tortellini.Really enjoyed our stay here and would definately come back. One downside at breakfast was rather slow service at breakfast (i think they forgot about us) as well as the fact that they'd run out of salmon . This was highlighted on the menu as a locally produced item. As it features on both the evening menu and at breakfast I'd think that it's the sort of thing you'd not want to run out of. However, the alternatives were very nice too.

Room Tip: Feature rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank holidaygal38
Thank you for your review, I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry about breakfast and that we ran out out of the smoked salmon, but am glad you enjoyed an alternative. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Visited with friends for a weekend ,like the hotel and bar area lovely to sit by the open fire chatting with friends and having a drink or three!
Breakfast and evening meal above average portion sizes good and staff very helpful.

Only bad comment floor boards in bedroom very creaky almost impossible to get up in the middle of night to go to the bathroom without waking up your partner !

Would stay again but a different room .

Room Tip: Check floor boards in your room!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peter S
David C, Owner at The Crown Hotel - Framlingham, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. There is sometimes a down side to having a wonderful historic timber framed building and creaky floor boards can fall into that category. When you next come please do ask for a room in one of the later brick extensions to the original 16th century building and your partner should enjoy an uninterrupted night.
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Crown has been refurbished in quirky country style - you wont be able to take your eyes off the livestock in the bar! - and provides a fabulous place for a stay, meal, drink or just a coffee in this pretty market town. The spacious rooms are all individually designed, and ours had a nice dressing room/lobby between the bedroom and bathroom, which was decorated in dark wood with crisp white linen. All the amenities are there, except strangely an alarm clock - not a problem for us as we were attending a family event, but might be useful for business travellers. There are two lovely lounge areas with open fires as well as the bar and it can get very busy at coffee/lunchtime. Service is unfailingly friendly and helpful, and the team did a wonderful job putting on a family gathering for us in their smart Stables function room. Good choice of wines, beers and even cocktails in the bar and the menu looked great although we didn't actually dine there. We did enjoy two breakfasts though, with traditional and more local fare well cooked and served. It took a long time to come both mornings, although we were at the end of the breakfast period which might have had something to do with it. There are lots of attractions, lovely countryside and more places to eat within walking distance - and I can thoroughly recommend the Crown as the place to stay in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ironhorse_10
Thank you for such an excellent review, I am almost inclined to ask you to write our marketing material for us. On the issue of the alarm clock we do offer an automated wake up call via the phone system. Thanks again.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed here on the evening of 22 February 2014 and had a wonderful stay. The staff are very friendly, helpful and inviting. The bar and restaurant are very well maintained and charmingly rustic. I loved the fairlights in the courtyard garden. Our room was spotless and comfortable. Perfect getaway. the only problem we encountered was the small amount of customer parking at the rear of hotel - but apart from that lovely. I would definitely return

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel P
Thank you very much for posting such a positive review, I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay. Your comment about parking is absolutely fair, I would love more spaces, but it is impossible. Next time you visit please feel free to ask for a space to be reserved - we will more than happily do this for you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Framlingham
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
The Crown & Castle
The Crown & Castle
#1 of 1 in Orford
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to The Crown Hotel - Framlingham? Share your experiences!