“Skip the Blue Mountain Explorer bus and do this for free!”
Review of The National Pass

The National Pass
Aberdeen, New Jersey
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Skip the Blue Mountain Explorer bus and do this for free!”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Many people coming from Sydney into the Blue Mountains area blindly pay the $38 to hop on and off the Blue Mountains Explorer bus only to not truly experience the Blue Mountains.

We are so glad we went the National Pass route. With a MyMulti 3, we were able to ride the public Blue Mountains Company buses free of charge, which dropped us off at the Conservation Hut, where we commenced our walk. If you don't have a MyMulti, the trip would only take a couple of dollars I believe.

As for the actual hike, the board outside the hut says that the pass takes 4 to 6 hours, we were able to finish the entire walk in 1.5 hours. You would need to walk REALLY slow and take a ton of picture breaks for the hike to take you 6 hours. Maybe you walk fast...I don't know.

The views are stunning. You walk through the top and bottoms of waterfalls, through dense forest, and over high cliffs. There are some pretty steep steps so you need to be in some degree of fitness to complete the walk. I'm not an athlete and sometimes get breathless climbing a couple flights of regular stairs and I was able to make it without any trouble!

I highly recommend this walk. If you care to explore Katoomba and Leura, you will have plenty of time left in the day to take the public buses there. We were able to do the National Pass, go to Leura village, go the Wentworth Falls village, Three Sisters/Echo Point, and explore Katoomba all in one day riding on the public bus and saw a ton more than what the people on the explorer bus were able to see.

7 Thank aphroditehalo

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Ocean Grove, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Walk the National Pass is a must”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We were advised to walk the National pass track leaving from wentworth falls, well the best advice we recieved while in the blue mountains truly the best walk we had ever been on, magnificent views around every corner, and to think this was carved out by hand over 100 years ago!!
The track is well marked and about 10km from the start to the end and finished at the conservation restaurant giving you a chance to have some well earned eats.
Its a must if your interested in walking/hiking while in the blue mountains

1 Thank Darren G
Singapore, Singapore
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Best attraction in BM”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I love a good trek, and the national pass was exactly my cup of tea. Although the trek is rated 'hard', it was not as difficult as I thought it would be. There are plenty of steps, but if you have a reasonable level of fitness it is very do-able. The walk is well signed and very safe. Plenty of railings to hold on to.

On to the scenery - it certainly did not disappoint. We had breathtaking views of the mountains, and the waterfall was beautiful. We could even see a rainbow forming above it when the wind was strong. The 4 hour walk was very worthwhile, and I will not hesitate to return.

Directions - following the suggestions of some reviews, we started the walk from wentworth falls instead of conservation hut. We took the train to wentworth falls, started the trek with Darwin's walk (2km), then followed sign posts that led us to the national pass, and exited at conservation hut. I strongly recommend going in this direction, as the part of the walk at the edge of the cliff (near wentworth falls) has really steep steps, and if you were walking in the opposite direction, that will be near the end of the walk, and it is really tiring. Also, try to avoid going when there is rain/slight drizzle. The winds are really strong up there and it's really difficult to find shelter.

5 Thank innocia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Breathtaking, a must do!”
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

An unbelievable treck. My partner and I did the national pass treck we left from the wentworth falls end and finished at the cafe end. I would recommend to everyone to go this way as there are extremely step stairs at wentworthfalls end which would be exhausting to do at the end of a 6km treck (2.5 hours). Every about this treck is amazing. Take water and some snacks. I would do it over any other activities or trecks on the mountain. Enjoy.

2 Thank Peachandpetals
Portland, Oregon, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Car free hike”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My husband and I took the train from Sydney to the Wentworth Falls stop on the Blue Mountains line and then walked from the train station to the city park where Darwin's Walk begins. Darwin's Walk is a lovely track along a little creek til you get to the top of Wentworth Falls and the beginning of the National Pass trail. From there we hiked the National Pass all the way to the conservation hut where we had some delicious affogato and then walked the overcliff track back and back into town to catch the train home. Very doable for an all day trip and very, very beautiful. Not to be missed. There lots of friendly aussies on the track and you can buy food at the conservation hut. We packed our own picnic and snacks but had a snack at the hut.

Visited January 2013