“Breathtaking views and a must do hike”
Review of The National Pass

The National Pass
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This was one of the most spectacular hikes I’ve ever done. The hiking path spans between two waterfalls: Wentworth and Empress. The hike is a little strenuous at the two ends because of the steep stairs at both ends. The Grand staircase is probably more strenuous to climb than the stairs near the Empress waterfall. But most of the trail is at one level along the cliff.

My husband and I started the hike from Wentworth Falls. We had to abandon the hike on our first attempt because of rainy weather with strong gusty winds. If the weather is rainy, windy or if there is a lot of fog, try doing the hike on another day. The hiking experience is definitely dominated by the weather conditions. Our second attempt was on a sunny day and we loved every moment of it.

The grand stair case near Wentworth falls is very steep and was carved out of the rock face over 100 years ago! The path winds over, under and through several waterfalls along the way. The views of the cliff face and the valley are breathtaking. The whole trail is around 6 km long and it took us about 2.5h (with lots of photo stops) to complete it. This is a heritage walk not to be missed. If you can do one hiking trail in the Blue Mountains, make it the National Pass trail.

3  Thank Minal D

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Many people coming from Sydney into the Blue Mountains area blindly pay the $38 to hop on and off the Blue Mountains Explorer bus only to not truly experience the Blue Mountains.

We are so glad we went the National Pass route. With a MyMulti 3, we were able to ride the public Blue Mountains Company buses free of charge, which dropped us off at the Conservation Hut, where we commenced our walk. If you don't have a MyMulti, the trip would only take a couple of dollars I believe.

As for the actual hike, the board outside the hut says that the pass takes 4 to 6 hours, we were able to finish the entire walk in 1.5 hours. You would need to walk REALLY slow and take a ton of picture breaks for the hike to take you 6 hours. Maybe you walk fast...I don't know.

The views are stunning. You walk through the top and bottoms of waterfalls, through dense forest, and over high cliffs. There are some pretty steep steps so you need to be in some degree of fitness to complete the walk. I'm not an athlete and sometimes get breathless climbing a couple flights of regular stairs and I was able to make it without any trouble!

I highly recommend this walk. If you care to explore Katoomba and Leura, you will have plenty of time left in the day to take the public buses there. We were able to do the National Pass, go to Leura village, go the Wentworth Falls village, Three Sisters/Echo Point, and explore Katoomba all in one day riding on the public bus and saw a ton more than what the people on the explorer bus were able to see.

7  Thank aphroditehalo
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We were advised to walk the National pass track leaving from wentworth falls, well the best advice we recieved while in the blue mountains truly the best walk we had ever been on, magnificent views around every corner, and to think this was carved out by hand over 100 years ago!!
The track is well marked and about 10km from the start to the end and finished at the conservation restaurant giving you a chance to have some well earned eats.
Its a must if your interested in walking/hiking while in the blue mountains

1  Thank Darren G
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I love a good trek, and the national pass was exactly my cup of tea. Although the trek is rated 'hard', it was not as difficult as I thought it would be. There are plenty of steps, but if you have a reasonable level of fitness it is very do-able. The walk is well signed and very safe. Plenty of railings to hold on to.

On to the scenery - it certainly did not disappoint. We had breathtaking views of the mountains, and the waterfall was beautiful. We could even see a rainbow forming above it when the wind was strong. The 4 hour walk was very worthwhile, and I will not hesitate to return.

Directions - following the suggestions of some reviews, we started the walk from wentworth falls instead of conservation hut. We took the train to wentworth falls, started the trek with Darwin's walk (2km), then followed sign posts that led us to the national pass, and exited at conservation hut. I strongly recommend going in this direction, as the part of the walk at the edge of the cliff (near wentworth falls) has really steep steps, and if you were walking in the opposite direction, that will be near the end of the walk, and it is really tiring. Also, try to avoid going when there is rain/slight drizzle. The winds are really strong up there and it's really difficult to find shelter.

5  Thank innocia
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

An unbelievable treck. My partner and I did the national pass treck we left from the wentworth falls end and finished at the cafe end. I would recommend to everyone to go this way as there are extremely step stairs at wentworthfalls end which would be exhausting to do at the end of a 6km treck (2.5 hours). Every about this treck is amazing. Take water and some snacks. I would do it over any other activities or trecks on the mountain. Enjoy.

2  Thank Peachandpetals