“Superb”
Review of Le Fruit Defendu

Le Fruit Defendu
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Le Fruit Defendu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 203 Restaurants in Ixelles
Price range: US$35 - US$85
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Business lunch with colleagues. We all (5 of us) had a 3 course meal (no set menu - you choose from what is available that day) and i think we all enjoyed every dish we had.
Restaurant is not large and the kitchen is really quite small (open so you can see your meal being prepared if you wish) but nice feeling to the place.
what i really loved is that each of the main courses had a wide variety of wonderfully prepared and presented vegetables. Although I like vegetables i'm not fanatic about them but these were delicious.
For desert i choose the wild blueberries: yummy but had a sneaky spoon of my colleagues strawberry tiramisu which was to die for... scrumptious!
Not a cheap restaurant but definitely not too pricey. For 5 of us we had a bill of approx 250 Euros: 3 courses + 2 bottles of water + 1 bottle of house red wine (light but very drinkable)

1  Thank BritInBelgium

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I love this place. It is unpretentious and effortlessly chic. The chef has made a conscious decision not to be too fancy -- he's not going for a Michelin star -- but instead to focus on delivering delicious meals. Don't get me wrong; the cuisine is sophisticated and refined, but it is not as fussy as some of the gastronomic restaurants tend to be. Excellent wine, impeccable service . . . I've never been disappointed. You must reserve, well in advance, and unfortunately they are not open on Saturday night.

1  Thank NatMcN
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was taken here by friends -- a married couple -- that live in the neighborhood and come here often. They are well-traveled and have excellent taste, so the fact that they brought me here on my one night with them says something. The food was indeed excellent, as were the service and the décor.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

A friend and I ate at Le Fruit Defendu during a recent visit to Brussels. The menu is varied, produce very fresh and main courses served with a good selection of vegetables. Our waiter explained each dish in detail and there was an interesting - if expensive - wine list. However, it was too crowded, the tables were far too close together, making it very noisy and difficult to carry on a conversation. I also felt very rushed with the next course being delivered almost as soon as the previous plates had been cleared. Although a fan of hot serving plates, our fish main courses were delivered on such hot plates that the sauces were bubbling (and the waiter warned us about this as he put the plates in front of us) so by the time the food could be eaten without burning our mouths the fish was very overcooked. I had wanted to try this restaurant for some time but was very disappointed – it certainly was not a relaxing, gastronomic experience I was expecting.

3  Thank Deborah W
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We were planning to go there already few times and finally we managed to make it happen in our agenda. "Le plat du jour" was exellente, the taste of the vegetables, meat and sauce were very good, you did not miss any flavor. The dessert was also very special!! I said to my friend that I would try to make it at home " tarte au figes" !
Certainly a place to visit, the service and the decor is very nice and charming.
If you are looking for a seasonal French cuisine in Ixelles you should not miss this place.