“charming and attentive”

Ranked #9 of 19 Ixelles B&B and Inns
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“charming and attentive”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Bed-and-breakfast Longue Vie in Brussels was probably one of the most charming places we stayed, and of course came back! The owner and his Italian "lady of the house" are lovely people: attentive with much feeling for privacy. The rooms we had were absolutely spacious, beautifully decorated, very private and offered as a very intimate atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Brescia, Italy
Reviewed 12 June 2012

The firs impression was not so positive due to the strange impact of this city. The location is good, the african quarter it's not really the best but it is close to Metro station and not far to the centre also by walking! The africaans style and ethnic design give to this b&b a very nice place to stay. Also the staff is kind and quite helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 10 February 2012

As a solo traveler, this was my first time in Brussels. With many other hotel options, I chose to stay at this B&B considering my travel time and budget especially since I went for New Years. However my stay was as cold and rigid as the weather.

I stayed in the African room. I must share that the room was immaculate (for the first day) and very comfortable – in fact more than enough space for me. Bed was comfy, the bathroom was a good size but don’t expect any extra amenities. All I got were four thin clean towels, two toilet paper rolls, a blower dryer and a huge bottle of soap (all in one shampoo, body wash, and more in Costco super size bottle). I also missed coming back to a tidy room after sightseeing. Supposedly housekeeping is scheduled to come every two days (to save the planet) but I stayed for 4 nights and no service…no clean towels, no opportunity to request (see why below).

Location – 15 minutes outside of central Brussels, accessible by bus – never figured out the metro. Walk up one street – find yourself on a street with basic shopping stores and fast food – Pizza Hut and McDonalds. Walk down another by a church –find a cul-de-sac of a few cool restaurants. The rest of the streets – not so safe - super shady area. In fact I hated the location and in all my travels (I’ve been to some remote 3rd world countries and walked alone in some crazy neighborhoods, day & night) this was the first time I felt unsafe. The element just loitered the area at all hours of the day and at one time a car pursued me while I was walking in search of a restaurant for dinner – not sure what the men were saying in french. At one point during my stay, I was contemplating taking the train back to Paris.

Ok, the staff…where do I begin? When I arrived, immediately I was taken to my room, given a brief tour of the room, told I had the freedom to come and go as I pleased since I had the keys to the property and that was the beginning of being “solo for real” in Brussels. I asked about how to get to central Brussels – was given a bus and metro map –that’s that. No one sat down with me to explain the city basics like the other hotel and B&B I stayed at in Paris and Amsterdam. Thanks to Google maps, yelp and foursquare, my phone apps gave me all the restaurant recommendations.

The next day and only day of my trip, I experienced breakfast. A gentleman (seemed nice but of very little words) made a yummy omelette and coffee – he also gave me bread, deli meats, etc. However, I sat there on my own with locals (I guess friends of the staff) and they all spoke french and never acknowleged me or even asked how I was or needed anything – at least a good morning? The other mornings, I had scheduled tours which I had to leave by 8- 8:30am. Well breakfast on weekends start late, if I remember around 9 or 10am. So for three mornings, I helped myself with the OJ in the cooler and purchased my own breakfast in the city. (Tip to management: This is not guest-centric and should reconsider this process or deduct the cost of breakfast from the overall room price)

After touring, I would come back around 6-7pm and staff was gone. Then out again for dinner at night and upon my return, I was pleasantly greeted by the dog (Tico- Name?) On the last night, I had to hunt down someone next door for assistance in reserving a taxi since I had a very early flight (6am) Finally I found someone who lived next to the property. He said he would arrange for a taxi (it came thankfully) and I told him I had to pay the balance of my stay. He gladly took my money, did not provide a reciept and offered to give me his phone number to contact him personally once in the States (uncalled for and who knows if the money made it to the owner.) If I did not mention anything, no one except Tico the dog would have noticed that I left without paying. Unfortunately, I wish I can share a better review but my interaction with staff was nonexistent. I had more interaction with Tico the dog, he was so kind to greet me every night upon my return.

So in closing, conceptually the idea of this B&B sounded cool, but once there, the delivery was absent. Overall, this B&B did not meet my expectations, I was very underwhelmed with my stay and it left much to be desired. I can’t say I recommend it. If I ever return to Brussels, I won’t – I would rather just take the next train to Bruges and stay there.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank jetsetMar

Travellers are raving about these Ixelles hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2012

The overall feel from the B&B is pretty good and I can see how it got such good reviews previously - the house is very nicely decorated and the owners are very nice and helpful, making the place feel like home.

But a few issues are to flag:
The isolation of the house is simply AWFUL – we could hear our all of our neighbors walk, talk, flush the toilet, have their breakfast, their dishes etc – so if you are looking for privacy, this is not the place to go!
As mentioned below, the location is scary – I wouldn’t venture walking around the street at nigh on my own!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alona_domnina
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My husband, Mother and I stayed at B&B for two nights. We had a studio with a loft bed and bed in the main area. There was a small kitchen, washer and dryer and balcony overlooking the main house. The room was clean and spacious, the bathroom was small and the shower even smaller but average by European standards. There was work being done on the building we stayed in, but there was no issues or noise that bothered us. Noa greeted us and sent us on our way with suggestions on where to eat and how to get to the main areas of town and what we would find there. Olivier was very kind and helped us get reservations at French restaurant down the street that he promised would not disappoint and it did not!! While the area is multi cultural, we never felt uneasy or in danger. Noa explained the atmosphere of the area and we had no concerns.The location was excellent, very close to the metro and within walking distance of all the sights. We knew it might be hard to find, so I took notes on what the door and gates look like and had no difficulty at all. Breakfast was nice with juice, cheese, eggs and other items specially prepared for each guest. They served some of the best coffee we have ever had. We would definately stay again.

Room Tip: We had the studio apt. and it was quiet and private.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank angelic1-2
Reviewed 7 January 2012

This is more like an upmarket hostel, which would be fine however you risk your neck getting there! Brussels is huge and the location geographically is relatively central, just off a busy high street shopping district. However one step off you will see local drug dealers, dont make eye contact! Walk a bit faster and locate the iron door with a very faint "b&b" marked on it. Not easy to spot without the aid of a Maps App. We were able to check in 15 mins early which was helpful especially with an early check in time anyway and dump the bags to assume a less-touristy look. The room was very clean very high spec and newly decorated. However as mentioned by the owner(?) it was still a holiday which may be reason for the building work that was happening. Not a problem but was a bit unnerving with a lot of people around, mainly due to the area and feeling quite unsafe. We had to taxi to Grand Place later on would not be a good idea to walk at night, and taxi straight back after we had eaten. We werent able to have breakfast but it did look very nice and somewhat cooked to order. Overall its just a shame about the location, however probably would have bern more reassuring to go summer time when it stays lighter longer.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank sammybean91
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2011

OK I won't pretend, this place is easy to find! Brussels with it's winding, one way street can be confussing to drive in and it can be easy to get disoriented. Having said this, once we found the pay parking lot everything got a lot easier!

Once you've found the entrance your invited in to this tranquil world, relax, bohemian and friendly. the environment it a spacious, newish looking pad! it has some great art work and mixes some morracan style with chic city architecture. The room was clean comfy bed, new washrooms with rain shower! hardwood floors and a quiet view of the courtyard below. The area surrounding seems to be of african influence, with a friendly buzzing atmosphere and plenty of cheap great food around. There are easy transport links close by, and a huge variety of shopping. All in all this place once found is a great base, quiet and tranquil for your jaunts around the city. if there needed to be a negative it would be that it's hard to find and that not many staff spoke any english making it hard to even check in.

Room Tip: the Parking lot near Rue du Trone, is very close but doesn't open until 7am (terrible if you hav...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Made in Louise
#15 of 199 in Brussels
Pantone Hotel
Pantone Hotel
#6 of 22 in Saint-Gilles

Been to L'Arbre de Vie? Share your experiences!