“Nothing special but comfortable!”

Hotel Leopold Brussels
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Ixelles
GreenLeadersGold level
Berkshire
“Nothing special but comfortable!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Hotel located close to the European Parliament, so a bit of a walk to the Grand Place but very pleasant walking through the park. Reception area clean and spacious and staff generally pleasant. Our executive room was on the 2nd floor. It was ok but nothing special. The bathroom was a bit worn but clean...... ish!. The pressure from the shower was fab and the bath was lovely and deep. My only criticism would be that we didn't have coffee making facilities in the room which in my opinion is a basic, particularly in an executive room. Breakfast was good with lots of choice to meet individual needs and set you up for a day exploring the city. It was an anniversary celebration which the Hotel were aware of but felt a bit let down by the room we were given.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WinnieBerkshire
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear Winnie
Thanks for posting your comments about the Leopold Hotel. I am happy to see you had a good time at our hotel.
We have recognised that some of the rooms need a bit of an update - as you say, nothing wrong but they just need a lick of paint and a new colour scheme.
We have a great buffet breakfast so i glad you made the most of it
We do not have coffee making facilities in the room as this just adds to costs for you, the customer. We prefer to offer the best possible rates and comfortable accommodation. We have a bar and several lounge areas in the hotel, so feel we have the beverages angle covered

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Lincolnshire, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

Things looked very impressive on arrival: a nice reception area and we were told that we had been upgraded to an executive room. What a disappointment: our room was on the 6th floor. We were obviously in the roof as there was only a velux window, so no view. This is not a large room, and the angle of the roof means you lose a third of the room area. Also it was extremely warm and the air conditioning did not work effectively.

There was a kettle in the room (which you have to move in order to plug it in) and basic coffee making facilities. However, considering this was a double room, there was only a mug for one person. There was also no milk, but this was quickly rectified by reception.

There is no free wi-fi.

The breakfast was ok, lots of options to choose from, however on the Sunday we went for breakfast 45 minutes before closure and things were already running out: no croissants or rolls.

The location is very close to the European Parliament. This means it is a very busy area during the week, with restaurants, etc for civil servants, but it turns in to a ghost town at weekends. It is a twenty minute walk downhill in to the old town (and uphill to return to the hotel).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spaldingtyner
Dear Spaldingtyner, thanks for your feedback and sorry to hear that you were a bit disappointed with some aspects of the hotel

Many of our guests request the rooms on the 6th floor, so I am sorry it wasn't to your taste. You just had to ask and we would have happily moved you ! We are in the middle of the city so there aren't views from any of the rooms, so you didn't miss out. We have a few issues with some air-conditioning units at the moment and are replacing several in the next months, so my apologies if you were a bit warm - it has been unusually warm and muggy the last few weeks, in Brussels.

We do not actually offer tea and coffee facilities in the room as we have a comfortable bar and several lounge areas in the hotel - it is not the norm in European hotels. We do try and anticipate our British clients demands and have some kettles available...

You are correct there is no free wifi but there is a pc for guest use, free of charge and we will be adding a couple more in the lobby soon.

As you noticed we have a huge breakfast choice and we are improving this all the time and as you saw on Sunday morning everyone comes to eat at the same time so we occasionally are a bit behind in refilling. I can assure you we keep the breakfast replenished right to the end ( I know because I am there every Sunday checking !!). We bake the croissants & rolls fresh so that there is always a good supply

it is true that the weekends are quieter around the hotel but I see that in a positive light because you get a really good night's rest and don't get woken by early morning traffic!! The Place de Luxembourg, 50m away has a large selection of cafes and restaurants and we have an excellent restaurant and bar in the hotel with the best prices - 2 course menu for 19.50 and very well priced wine by the glass or bottle

The hotel has a great location, next to the European Parliament and a pleasant stroll through the King's Palace park to the Grand Place. A bus stops in the front of the hotel for Grand Place and there is Trone metro station 200m away...

Let me know the next time you come to Brussels and I will make sure you get more of what you want !
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

First of all I would like to thank to Travelrepublic for a great deal regarding this property and to all bookings I have made with them and never had any problems so far. I go away every two months and I always book with Travelrepublic, website can't be more presentable than it is and information given about accommodation very clear.

As for Leopold Hotel, in general very good, nothing spectacular, but very decent, BUT for the price and location it is EXCELLENT! As it has been said, it is 2 minutes (if that) from the EU Parlament. Normal rooms (which would be standard queen bed ot twin room) are not too small at all ( I work in a 5 star hotel in London's Mayfair so I know what I am talking about) and I had a look in the bigger rooms (as they call them executive rooms) they are very good size. Normal rooms do not have tea/coffee facilities. Cleanliness was very good, nothing spectacular, but cleaned on a daily basis and plenty of towels etc.

Breakfast - served in a very pleasant big conservatory, really nice, plenty of food, fresh bread (brown/white), toast bread, English Breakfast, Continental breakfast (ham, cheese - 5 different types!!!), jams, cream cheese, etc. ) Coffee, tea (plenty of it!!), plain and fruit yoghurt, fresh and tinned fruit, plenty of cereals,..... So those people who previously complained about the breakfast one cannot help but wonder what they eat at home??!!

Staff very helpful and nice.

I absolutely loved the iron (with a timer) and ironing board on the corridor (BRILLIANT!), used it all the time :-)

I would like to add again - it is not a spectacular accommodation, but AN EXCELLENT VALUE FOR THE MONEY PAID!!!! City tax was included in the price booked with Travelrepublic which made it even better value for money.

I would definitely come back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank AlexLondon1980
Dear Alex
Thanks for your very positive review. I am always happy to see we get things right!!

We are a decent standard 4* hotel in an ideal location for the European Parliament. As you say our Standard Rooms are a good size and are Executive Rooms are much bigger than average. We have our own Housekeeping staff in the hotel (unlike nearly every other hotel in the city), so we can control our cleaning much better - I am glad you noticed.
We have a comfortable bar and several lounge areas so we do not have tea and coffee facilities in the rooms, though we can provide a kettle on request

You noticed we have a good choice fro breakfast ! and it is going to get better, with more choice and better quality jams etc, as we think it is one of the most important things about staying in a hotel

We pride ourselves on the friendliness of our staff and i think we give excellent value for money

Once again thanks for your realistic and positive comments. Let me know when you are back in Brussels and I would be happy to offer you a drink in the bar !
London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

The breakfast was good.
Rooms are ok.
There appeared to be a bar or club nearby, so I had to bear with thumping music till about 2am.
Taking a long hot shower activated the fire alarm; that was awkward.
The hotel charged E 7.50 city tax on top of the price I was quoted by a major travel website. This was annoying a) because it was not clearly signaled on the website (as it was on top of "Total price includes all taxes and service fees, but does not include any extra guest charges") b) because the hotel was unable to produce a total bill including the room rate and the tax
The again, it was by far the cheapest option in that part of town

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Thanks for writing about the Leopold Hotel and giving us your feedback.
We have been improving our breakfast and will be making more additions to the already big choice we give.
I am not quite sure what happened with your shower and the fire alarm, although as a result we have the technician arriving next week to investigate ! It hasn't happened before...
I don't know about the "club" nearby - there isn't one and the houses at either side of the hotel are lived in by more mature people ! Perhaps you were here when the Presidency of the EU changed ? There is generally street parties when that happens...
I am sorry that you were surprised by the City Tax charge. Unfortunately if you don't book direct you seldom get all the right information - always best to go direct to the hotel for the best rates, all the correct information and you are more than likely to be upgraded too !! Again if you book through an online website no hotel is able to give you an invoice - that has to come from the agency, I am afraid.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon and to show all the latest improvements we have made to the hotel
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

Have stayed here twice this year on business - couple of hundred yards from EU Parliament and easy to get to Commissionand other buildings. But that's about as far as it goes. Rooms OK but singles very cramped. Breakfast so so , would expect better given the price. I think I would rather stay in Ixelles area and take the short commute as hotels generally better and certainly cheaper.

, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Thanks for your comments Jodian and good to hear you have stayed with us more than once. You are right, our location is ideal for the EU area and we also have a great restuarant, brasserie and bar for the evenings. It's true our singles are small, so it's worth paying 10 eur or so more for a larger room. Let me know next time you are coming and I can make sure you get a bigger room, if you book direct. We will be renovating our older rooms over the next 12 months, so look out for that. I agree with your comments about the breakfast, so we are changing what we offer and hopefully you will notice next time - better coffee, juices and a bigger selection of our buffet!
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

The location to the European Parliament was perfect. A very short walk to the European Parliament and Troon metro station.

For 190 Euro including breakfast the price was considered very good value. However, the price for WiFi was high 3 euro for an hour !

Breakfast was excellent with a wide selection.

Room Tip: Room was clean and quite.
, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Parkskov, thank you for taking the time to comment about the Leopold Hotel Brussels. As you say, perfect location for the EU and near to Troon metro and Luxembourg railway station.
Our prices are competitve for the area, as you noticed and the wifi charges are the norm for a 4*. Next time you come, let me know and I will arrange free wifi for you if you book direct with us. We do have a free pc in the business centre if you just wnat to check a few emails!
We have been improving our breakfast buffet selection in terms of choice and quality, so I am pleased you noticed.
Next time try eating in the restaurant - the chef has been coming up with some new menu ideas, or at least have a drink in the bar. After all Belgian beers are "probably the best in the world"
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

I stayed here before a few times, mostly because of its location, and haven't had the ebst of expereinces with it. Some of the rooms are dire, very small and with a high level of noise from outside aircon units.
This time I booked late and got a larger room at the front of the hotel, which included a sittng area and kitchen. While I didn't need the kitchen, the more spacious room was more comfortable and was actually quiet, given its location at the front of the building.
Breakfast is adequate, at best. Typical buffet fare, nothing too exciting but fills a gap. However it isn't worth more than ten euro at best; go outside to one of the cafes in Plac du Luxemburg and eat better for less.
I paid 210 euro for one night; far too much, but it is right beside the parliament and I needed to be close to there. I believe that it is a lot cheaper at weekends, so might suit weekend breaks, but then it's away from everything in the city centre.
Bin in the kitchen hadn't been emptied, and was smelling a bit, but that's probably not typical, in fairness.
Staff pleasant enough, doing their best in a busy place.
I'll probably use it again, but I'm not a big fan!

Room Tip: The rooms off the narrow staircase to the right of reception are good, about two per floor in this w...
1 Thank Rockyroad2dublin
, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Thank you for the review, Rockyroad...Yep, we have a great location but I was sorry to hear your experiences weren't the best. We are starting some room renovations and aircon issues are top of our list. Yes, we do have single rooms and these are the best prices, so it's a;ways worth paying a little more for a bigger, upgraded room. We have some really big ones!
We are making big strides with the breakfast, so I hope you will notice next time - proper espresso coffee and decent juices are a must in my book. You won't get the spread we offer for 10 eur at the local cafes, however.
The prices are always higher during the weeks when there are things on at the EU but we are still the most competitive around and we have some great rates in the holidays and weekends. Only a 15 minute stroll from Grand Place and the number 96 bus goes directly there from in front of the hotel.
Sorry you experienced an unemptied bin, that really isn't the norm. We are one of the few hotels that have our own housekeeping staff, rather than using outside companies, so I know how clean the rooms are.
Let me know next time you are staying and I will have a beer with you (at our expense) in the bar and find out what we can do better
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Radisson RED Brussels
Stanhope Hotel
Stanhope Hotel
#20 of 199 in Brussels
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,197 reviews

Been to Hotel Leopold Brussels? Share your experiences!