“big disappoinment”

GreenLeadersGold level
Ireland
“big disappoinment”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

well I don't know how this hotel received all there stars.....I mean the pictures look great and when you enter the hotel you still impressed. The staff speaks lots of different languages but the shock was in the room.....too small and they haven't even cleaned it. Never had this before and I stayed in loads of hotels.....well they gave us a free drink at the bar. Also upstairs looked like a building side.

The only thing I was impressed was the restaurant area and the breakfast, huge and great quality but to be honest for the rest I wouldn't recommend. It is also a bit outside of the city center. The restaurants around it are too expensive so just wait and better use the once in town

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear saNNy82
Sorry to hear we were a big disappointment to you - we are genuinely very surprised to read your comments. We cannot find any trace of your booking nor of any complaint in our log books during June of 2013 when you claimed to have stayed with us. Are you sure you have the right hotel ?
All I can say is if we gave a room that hadn't been cleaned, my greatest apologies - we do make mistakes from time to time. If this occurs it takes us 20 minutes to clean and prepare the room and we would of course offer you a drink in the bar while you waited.
There were no works going on in our hotel in June, so again I am not sure what 'building site' you are referring to.
We are located in a prime position next to the EU Parliament in the centre of Brussels and are surrounded by restaurants where you can eat a kebab for 3 eur or a gastronomic meal for 100 eur, with everything in between.
We receive our star rating from the independent Flemish Tourism authority and are also in the process of renovating the hotel over the next 18 months - 50% is already complete. The photos on our website are accurate and realistic, although it is fair to say we have a wide variety of room sizes and types.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed in room 731. It was large and spacious. The bed huge and comfortable. The fridge an added bonus. Hot drink facilities good. If was very clean and the room serviced daily. The food and drink delicious. We liked being in the quiet location and enjoyed the 20 minutes walk into the centre of old Brussels. We loved this long weekend and would recommend the Hotel Leopold. The staff all very helpful,friendly and always a welcoming smile. Well done :0)

• Stayed March 2014
Dear PIPPIN27
It was a pleasure having you stay with us in our home from home in Brussels and we are pleased that you were well looked after and that you enjoyed your stay.
As you said when you were here, where do some of the comments on this site come from ?So we thank you for setting your thoughts down and putting the record straight :)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 8 March 2014

The room was ok, the breakfast lacking, for four stars a large disappointment. I would not recommend for longer stays, only for emergencies or when all booked. As was my case. Location to EP ideal, but not worth headache

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lalunne
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Lalunne
I would normally thank you for taking the time to review our family run hotel...but unfortunately you didn't take the time to comment on anything specific. It was just a pointless moan. We cannot find any trace of a complaint whilst you stayed at the hotel nor any comment on checkout.
We are all a little puzzled what your problem is ... Breakfast is a large buffet - from fresh vegetables and fruit with home-made cakes and fruit salad, to fresh baked breads and pastries and hot eggs, bacon etc. What on earth were you lacking ?
Maybe all the choice gave you a headache ?
We look forward to welcoming you back to our homely hotel when next you cannot find anything better :)
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Near public transports and near parliament. The rooms are comfortable and the breakfast is very good with great variety. Free wi-fi only in common areas (should be also in the rooms. As a 4 stars hotel might have some ameneties like soap or shower gel... In general, a very good hotel for staying in Brussels

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sandra
Many thanks for your very kind and positive comments about your latest stay with us. You are one of our many returning guests, so we must be doing the right things !
Thank you for your tip regarding giving free wifi in the room. We do offer some guests this facility - please book direct with us for best prices and conditions. We are generally 30 euros better priced than the other 4* hotels in the area and include breakfast in all our rates but we think it best to let guests choose whether they pay for wifi or not - our competitors just charge everyone in the room rate and then say it is free...
We look forward to welcoming you back later this year
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This hotel was part of a package and 5 of us spent three nights in Brussels over two rooms. One room was upgraded to a suite which was a huge room. The beds were comfortable and there was plenty of space, with one of the beds being on a separate level. The only downside was that the room was slightly old-fashioned but I heard that the rooms are currently being refurbished so maybe this will get some attention soon.

The location of the hotel is good as there is a 2.50Eur bus right next to the hotel that takes you into the centre. The area is quiet as it is the Parliament district but there is a Delhaize supermarket around the corner if needed.

The choice at breakfast was excellent as there was continental breakfast including cereal and a meat selection plus hot food. The quality of the food was also great, regardless of what other reviewers have said.

The staff are very helpful and would happily book taxis for you as well as a restaurants if you desire. One of the staff members repeatedly rang a restaurant to get a table for us for around an hour on the last night which we are very grateful for. We also needed a new key at 3am as it stopped working and someone was on hand to rectify the problem.

The only bad points were that there was no older for the shower head in the larger room and the smaller room had no hook on the back of the bathroom door.

Great hotel, helpful staff, great location... I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear JimmyJams12
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. It's nice to hear all went well and that you were well looked after.
As you noticed we have made lots of renovations to the hotel and there are many new beds, mattresses, pillows etc which obviously makes for a comfortable nights sleep.
Some of our rooms remain a bit old-fashioned in decor, it's true but they are well looked after and very clean and tidy thanks to our in-house Housekeeping Department.
Thanks for your kind comments about our breakfast offerings - it's great to see that you managed to test most of it !
The tips on the shower holder in the bath are useful - as with many of the refurbishments we are getting round to the older bathrooms and adding more modern shower heads. All 35 new bathrooms have rainshowers.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Brussels
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Spent three nights at the Leopold on a city break to Brussels.

The Hotel is close to the European Parliament, about a 20 minute walk from the city centre. But for E2.50 payable on the vehicle, Bus 27 about 100m away gets you to the centre. Bus 95 or the metro get you to the Eurostar Gare Midi.

Our room at the hotel was quite compact but was in very good decorative order and had everything we needed.

Pretty good buffet breakfast.

Helpful staff at reception.

We had a deal with Wi-Fi included; otherwise this would have been quite expensive so it's worth checking this out.

Room Tip: Reading earlier reviews prompted us to ask for a refurbished room which the hotel ensured we got.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear NorfolkArthur
It was a pleasure to read about your stay with us and to hear that we exceeded your expectations.
We are getting very favourable comments from our guests about the newly renovated rooms, so I am glad you also enjoyed it and also our lovely buffet breakfast.
Regarding the wifi, we offer free connection in the public areas and 7.50 eur (currently) for high speed connection in your room.
We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Brussels
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Uff, I don't know where to start.
For a hotel with 4 stars in a heart of the Europe and in this price range I'd expect to have a free Wi-Fi in the room which isn't a case here. The room is very small and if I had have a standard size travelling bag I would have to put it on the bed. There is no safe in the room either. For three mornings I placed do not disturb ring on the room door but anyway room service entered my room every day. Breakfast is below average too. I also noticed that reception tends to lock the hotel doors (I noticed this happens around 23 hours) and there was noone at the reception desk to open it when I came. Later I have found that there are two small doorbells that are not marked as it should be and that are used to call someone on a mobile phone who will open the doors. Strange for a hotel I must admit. I also noticed that personell is rather impolite except few ladies mainly on the reception. When I came there was only 3 TV programs available but I assume that was a temporary issue since TV channels ware avalable later on.
4star hotels are usually much better but it is different from country to the country. This hotel would hardly have 3 stars in most of the destinations all over the world I have visit so far
I also must say that hotel and the room is very clean and the location is perfect so this is the only reason for 2 star review grade.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank marenostrumkk
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear marenostrumkk
Thanks for taking the time to have a moan about your stay with us...
I am sorry that you did not feel everything was up to scratch and that we weren't the hotel you wanted. However, I suppose price tells a story...I notice that you booked a single room on a non-refundable rate (in other words the cheapest you could find close to the European Parliament) and then complain that the room was small. Just a suggestion : check our website for details of room sizes and facilities before you book. If you had done you would have noticed that single rooms are 14m2 in size. So if you desired a bigger room, book a double for single use or one of our lovely newly renovated Executives.
I do apologise for you not having a safe in your room. We have been waiting for replacements to arrive from our supplier. However, had you mentioned this to Reception during your stay we would have been very happy to have placed a new one in your room (as we have a couple of spares).
I am also sorry to hear that you thought breakfast was below average. I am not sure why... we have fresh home-made cakes and bread, smoked salmon, fresh vegetables, 4 types of fresh yoghurt, cereals, fruit juices including a locally produced fresh apple, fresh fruit, choices of several coffees and teas...I could go on.
Regarding our Reception staff, I am pleased our young ladies were polite and friendly. I am not sure which other staff you found impolite...but it does not seem like the staff we have in our hotel, where clients return time after time, precisely because our staff are friendly and helpful.
We, like many hotels, have a night reception from 2300 onwards and from time to time he/she needs to leave reception to help a guest in another part of the hotel (maybe taking a new safe to a room fro example). In this case he/she is connected to the front door by a mobile phone and can open the door. We shall add a larger sign to the door bell so that it is more obvious for our guests - thank you for the tip. Maybe you could have mentioned it to us on checkout ?
I am sure we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to your home from home in Brussels the next time the city is busy and the prices high. Next time book direct and check out the upgraded rooms...let us know what you want and we can provide what is more appropriate to you. Lowest price does not always = best quality !
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Radisson RED Brussels
Stanhope Hotel
Stanhope Hotel
#19 of 199 in Brussels
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,202 reviews

Been to Hotel Leopold Brussels? Share your experiences!