“5* looks but no 5* service. Still quiet nice...”

Renaissance Brussels Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Ixelles
Antwerp, Belgium
“5* looks but no 5* service. Still quiet nice...”
Reviewed 30 August 2010

First of all I must say that we got a very good deal at this hotel during a weekend in august so if I keep that in mind we were very happy with what we got for the price. If I would have paid full price I wouldn't rate it as high as I do now.
On arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff, obviously well trained to deal with demanding business people daily. We were offered a welcome drink and we got the choice between sparkling wine or sparkling water. We both choose the first. The receptionist dissapeared, only to come back a minute later to tell us that there was only one glass of sparkling wine left... not exactly what you would expect from a hotel in this category. We accepted the one glass but soon found out the wine was room temperature. We are not very hard to please so we didn't make a big deal out of it (just wonder if a full-fare paying customer would).
When we went to our room we were very nicely surprised to see that the rooms are nothing like the pictures on the website. They are clearly recently refurbished in a very contemporary style wich we both liked very much. Everyone that says the rooms are dated and worn must have had the bad luck of staying here before the renovations took place. One thing that dissapointed both of us was the bed : extremely soft for our liking, we both slept very bad because of that. Sure it was the perfect bed for many people. Just not for us. A pitty...
We couldn't find a water cooker in the room, so the next morning I phoned the reception to ask for one to be delivered to the room (I was dying for a coffee after the bad sleep). It took exactly one (1!!) hour and 3 more phone calls to receive the water cooker. These are things they should work on. Good that we didn't have an important business partner waiting for us ;-))
The good points are the leisure centre wich is free to use for hotel guests (I've seen hotels that charge big money for these facilities - just a pitty they allow children) and the free parking during weekends (the city center is really not that far to walk).
Would we return? Yes, I'm sure we just had some bad luck with a few things so we will give it another try.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 August 2010

we had a wondeful stay at the renaissance for a couple of nights Aug. 22-24 on a short trip to belgium. we chose the hotel for the pool as my six year old son is crazy for swimming. the pool was sufficient, small, no frills. the room was fantastic--in keeping with the renaissance brand, the breakfast was o.k. typical business breakfast. wish they would have other belgian stuff besides waffles. the location is across the EU, some street noise, not too much.
we had a good deal so value was more than worth it. the bus stop is a two minute walk and brussels has an excellent bus system, i am told buses come every 10 minutes or so. tours are available from the hotel so we took the brugge and ghent tour. it was good. though the italian restaurant where we had lunch in brugge was so-so but expensive. better to have eaten in another location, not he one the tour guide recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Reviewed 20 August 2010

CONS
I booked on the Marriott website and there was NO INDICATION that the hotel was undergoing renovation (August 2010). When I got to my floor on a Friday evening and stepped out of the elevator, I found the carpet had been removed and my shoes were sticking to the old carpet glue (fortunately, the glue was more attached to the floor than to my shoes). My room was overall very nice and recently renovated (not everything was finished as I will discuss later). The room (a junior suite) was very large, but the bathroom was VERY small.

The next day the hallway was dusty and somewhat noisy as workers removed doors from rooms and engaged in various construction activiities, but it was only a problem when going to and from the elevator. By Sunday, new carpet had been installed in the elevator landing and on my end of the floor and they had put up a temporary door blocking the view and dust from the 1/2 of the floor they were still renovating.

The hotel's page on the Marriott website lists room safes, but the safe in my room was not functional (it wasn't even attached to anything, just sitting in a desk drawer). I asked for a new room but was told that none of the rooms had working safes (due to renovation?). I was given the last available safe deposit box behind the desk, but I couldn't fit both my cameras and my laptop.

The overhead light in the room did not work.

The TV had VGA and other inputs, but the ability to select external inputs was disabled on the TV. Why?

The entrance for the parking garage is on a one-way street and the sign is only visible if you are going the wrong way.

PROS
The location is right next to the European Parliament. Walkable to the center of Brussels and many tourist attractions (15 to 20 minutes).

There are several restaurants/bars within a few blocks of the hotel.

Competent desk staff.

Free mini-bar in Club rooms and suites. (Two beers, two waters, some soft drinks, two candy bars, and a small can of Pringles.)

Got a great weekend rate (75 Euros) which included free parking.

Treated well as a Marriott Rewards Platinum (upgrade to junior suite and free breakfast).

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 19 August 2010

not the most exciting hotel from outside (looks like a huge bunker), it is a good business hotel. in the middle of the EU area, 2 minutes walking from the EU Parliament, but also 10 minutes away by taxi or metro from the touristical city center.
A bit overpriced over working days, there are special packages for the week-ends. It has a good fitness center and one of the few hotels in brussels with a swimming-pool.
It is a good classical five star hotel.
Very good for conferences or business meetings also. You will not have problems with the noise!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Kyiv, Ukraine
Reviewed 11 July 2010

The location is convenient for "eurocrats", and OK for tourists (15-20 min from centre). The rooms and interior are getting old, the breakfast is good (as in all Renaissance hotels I stayed in).
Used as a base for exploring Belgium - do not miss Bruges (it's a nothern Venice which I liked even more than Venice:), but Brussels is a wonderful city for a week-end.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 6 June 2010

The location is very near to the European parliament. Some nice pups and restaurants are just around the corner. What I didn't like that it is not possible the switch off the a/c completely. That means its makes noise until 23:15 (after that it’s off until the morning). Front desk was not able to help as well. The shower switches temperature every few seconds, even cold, wakes you up in the morning.
There was a long line for breakfast as well, so make sure you join it not later than 8:30.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 June 2010

writing this review late, good hotel, very clean and very freindly staff, not much happening in that end of town at the weekend but that suited us.would stay there again if returning to brussels

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Radisson RED Brussels
Sofitel Brussels Europe
Sofitel Brussels Europe
#5 of 199 in Brussels
Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place

Been to Renaissance Brussels Hotel? Share your experiences!