“Good location, clean (but small) rooms/bathrooms, service problems”

Sofitel Brussels Le Louise
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Ixelles
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Location was great, on same block as metro and near great shopping/restaurant area, nice base for walking to most of the major sights. Room was modern and clean (most important to me) but the bathroom was small and dark. The bathroom in particular was not up to Sofitel standards based on others I have stayed in elsewhere which were really luxurious. Front desk staff were very pleasant at check-in, however I had various issues with the service (not all major things, but below the standard that I have come to expect from Sofitel!): the turn-down maid came while I was in the room, I asked her to return in an hour (I needed more towels and water, etc) then went out for a few hours; she never returned at all. Ordered room-service for breakfast, and their staff came by the room 3 times before I was finished eating to retrieve the cart (!); in fact, on the 2nd try, he just opened the door and walked in-- I was in my bathrobe, so this was extra highly inappropriate. And finally, I had to call my airline to confirm something and asked the Concierge for the local number of the airline. Before dialing the number he provided me from the room phone, I asked how much it cost to make a local call; he told me 1.30Eur flat rate. When I checked out a few hours later, I had a bill for $18Eur for my 30 minute phone call. When I brought it to the front desk agent's attention, he was entirely inflexible, and didn't even offer an apology for the Concierge's mistake even if he couldn't remove the charge. It was a very off-putting way to end the stay. All in all, wouldn't stay here again in Brussels. Clean hotel and nice location but that's it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank callippo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,173)

Reviewed 2 July 2012

This was a quick Eurostar escape for a weekend break. The hotel is about a 5 minute drive from the station. The hotel has a cosy feel to it, the lay out makes it feel larger. It somehow lacks the wow factor for a 5 star hotel. The rooms are small, but very comfortable. For a weekend city break, it is perfect. Perfect location for shopping and for the attractions. The only downfall, was Brussels itself, which we found to be particulary dirty, (litter everywhere)so much so, that we went to Anrtwerp for the day! The biggest dissappointment however, was the Eurostar itself, having delays on both the outbound journey as well as the return. What was most infuriating was the delay on the return leg - we were held at a station ( where we were offered to disembsark!) while they cleared ques at passport control at St Pancreas!

Room Tip: We overlooked the side street, very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My son and I had a great experience with the hotel. We have arrived early, way before check-in, and the front desk manager , Stephanie took care of us, offered us room very quickly. It was great, we had some rest and went exploring Brussels. she offered me some coffee , we were treated like family.
The room is super clean, very modern, the beds are superb as was mentioned by some responses on Trip advisor. Small nice things like water, chocolates, cookies gratuite- all add some nice feelings.
Thank you to hotel employees for making the stay so memorable.
central attractions are 10-15 minutes walk.
Enjoy this hospitality, fellow travelers.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sonostrov
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Arriving with a car to the hotel and no one was there from vallet to collect the car which was a point down for the hotel.

Other wise baggage collection and checking in to the room was ok and the room is spacious.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This is another great sofitel in a good location. It's right in the center of shopping district and 1 min walk from a metro station. About 25 min walk to Grand Place area (the first 10 to 15 min is a walk with not much to be seen, and no stores). The rooms although small, are nice and clean just up to sofitel standard. The concierge is great and very helpful. Our breakfast buffet is included and the food is good (both hot and cold items available). Love the freshly squeezed juices !

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed in the hotel during a long weekend in Brussels. Hotel is very good. Beautifully designed, clean and the staff are friendly. We were upgraded for free on arrival, although our room wasn’t ready until 3pm. The room was a decent size, had a great bed, cool decoration and a decent 'rainfall' shower. Hotel is ideally located a pleasant 15 min walk from the centre and is in an area filled with designer shops.

Only negative would be the staff on the front desk. Whilst they were very friendly, they couldn't recommend a decent bar/restaurant in the area and they failed to book us a taxi on two separate occasions. Neither are the ‘crimes of the century’ and we managed to get a taxi/find a good restaurant on our own but such service is something you do expect (and pay for) from a 5 star hotel.

All in all would 100% recommend this hotel for a couple looking for a boutique hotel in Brussels.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matty425
Reviewed 15 June 2012

OK so we go away and the one thing we all tend to worry about is sleeping in a bed that is not ours and having a bad nights sleep..... well at the Sofitel, Le Louise you have finally found a hotel that understands the key to great bedrooms is an amazing bed. Here you have the most fantastic bed, matress, toppers, bed linen and the icing on the cake .... a pillow menu.

I travel to Brussels on a regular basis and sometimes I go to bed at eight in the evening just to fully enjoy the bed, the pillows and the best sleep I ever get away from home.

I defy you to stay here and not want to take the bed et al. home and oddly enough you can for 4,000 Euro and that speaks volumes to the attention to detail that has obviously gone into making sure you have the best nights sleep you can.

The staff are always helpful, attentive and after my second visit used my name to great me for breakfast and dinner. The breakfast is lovely, well presented and very creative, great smothies, unusual fruits and amazing bread.

I often eat in the restaurant and to date have always loved my meal, who ever looks after the kitchen has a real eye for detail and a great palate. The food is a lovley suprise, although I noted last time a change to the menu so I'll report back if it's not as it's always been.

So the big question is would I stay again? Of course I always do... Only once has it been so fully booked that I've had to stay somewhere else and boy did I miss the beds and pillow menu's!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Sofitel Brussels Europe
Made in Louise
Made in Louise
#1 of 15 in Ixelles
NH Collection Brussels Grand Sablon

Been to Sofitel Brussels Le Louise? Share your experiences!