“The communal breakfast was not for me”
Review of Monty Design Hotel

Monty Design Hotel
Oslo, Norway
“The communal breakfast was not for me”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The idea of a low cost "design" hotel is not bad - but it did not work out for me on a business trip. Perhaps it would work out better if I was on a holiday trip where meeting new people was part of the "package". If so I think this hotel could work fine.
For me it did not - and the communal breakfast killed it to be honest. 8 people sharing a breakfast table is a good idea, if they are all between 16 and 30 (or feeling like it) and open for new acquiantances at 8am in the morning :) Well the 8 of us around the table were neither.
The other big negative for me was that the room on the street was only barfely sound insulated by the old windows.
+++ Good restaurants just outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Check in early to get garden rooms - the ones on the street are very noisy,
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank NasseNoff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Czech first
London
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I have never reviewed a hotel before, but after my 2 day stay at Hotel Monty this past weekend I feel compelled to let others know what they are in for if they choose to stay here...

The hotel interiors were very dated and cheap which I wouldn't have minded this so much if the place wasn't so filthy.The carpets were worn and dirty, the shower curtains manky - even the television remote was covered in grime. When the maid cleaned she didn't actually empty bins or tidy anything beyond making the bed.

Speaking of beds...it was tiny and uncomfortable with scratchy bedding and just one pillow. Neither of us slept properly either night. That could also have been due to the fact that you could hear every other guests movements - if someone comes in the front door, up the stairs or is speaking in the other room...you'll hear it.

The bathroom was also pretty gross - rusted shower taps, tiny paper thin towels and an unattached toilet seat that kept falling off. Also useful for waking up your partner and other guests...

The staff were very unhelpful - they didn't have an adapter or iPhone charger and were not able to offer any advice on where I might be able to purchase one locally. Also, the guy on front desk forgot to make my wake up call at 5:30am which meant nearly missing the train back to London.

Oh, it's also not at all close to Brussels Midi (€20 ride across the city) or the airport - or anything interesting...

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Woluwe-Saint-Lambert hotels

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed in this hotel for one night on a business trip. It was nice, clean, the staff is very friendly and helpful (they even printed out some papers for me). The breakfas room is like a big dining room in a family house - a big table with everything you may need for breakfast and the guest sit around - really like a big family. Complimentary tea and coffee service is a nice surprise. The big advantage is the free wifi in the rooms and even on the computer in the lobby.
The building looks like a residential building (not like a hotel), you can enter through the small garden (it took me some time to be sure that I am at the right entrance).
It is not far from the EU district (5 minutes walk from metro station Montgomery). The main road is quite busy and noisy but in the rooms of the other side it is OK.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back of the building.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank z_geller
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2011

my sister and I went to Brussels for her birthday and we found this hotel to stay in for 3 days. Staff are friendly, always helpful, approachable and multilingual. there is no elevator but we were on the first floor and we traveled light so that's no problem. It is a small hotel so don't expect big rooms. For us, it is enough. The most important thing is it is clean. Also if you are not fussed about the noise, then it is recommended for a short stay in Brussels. We slept well anyway. It is near the metro station, Montgomery which is like 5-minute walk. Overall I am satisfied.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank diobots
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I have travelled to 25 European states, spent hundereds of nigts in various hotels but never in my life I have seen a ''hotel'' like this. Filthy, noisy, with no elevator, no reception... My happiness was complete the moment I seen the pitfall for bugs next to the minibar... That is what you get during the day. And during the night, when the metro passes, the entire building trembles. In the morning you eat breakfast at the same table with all other tenants, as if in Big Brother house. Oh, did I mention - all of them are taking bread and croissants out of the box with their hands? But once is for sure - I will definitely remember this place - so that I NEVER EVER return here again! p.s. this joyful experience costed me 135€ per night!?

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank IvanaZagreb123
D
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We stayed in the Monty Hotel for 2 nights in September 2011 (room 101; 2 adults and 1 child of 3 years) and we were at first very pleased with everything:
The room seemed to be clean and in good estate, the breakfast buffet was very good and all employees were friendly, polite and helpful.
Public transportation is available.
The hotel is situated at a big road. We had a room on the backside, which was ok concerning noise, however the traffic could be heard and in the morning (so I assume that on the front side of the hotel it might be much louder, especially if you want to/ have to leave a window open for fresh air).
Free WiFi and free coffee/tee were very nice add ons.
(The price was quite high from our point of view with >100 EUR per night, but this seems to be "normal" in Brussels).

The only problem (which made this stay a very bad experience with long lasting effects) was the following:
already after the first night my wife and I had a lot of itching stitches and my wife nearly had not slept at all. We thought we had let in mosquitoes trough the open window.
The second night, I also nearly did not sleep, we got many, many more bites both all over our bodies (fortunately our son sleeping on a third bed was not affected at all), all of them itching and some of them got really tumid.
When we put on the lights at 3AM, we found one bed bug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug) sitting on the bed-head of my bed, which we could catch in a drinking glass.
In the following hours, we could hardly sleep at all.

The next morning we informed the hotel manager, which looked concerned and said he had never seen such animals before. He promised to contact an expert and not let the room to other people.
We just arrived today from the hotel, so we will see how to find a solution for all the troubles we've had (no sleep, itching bites all over) - but the worst thing is, that we had our open suitcase directly next to the bed so we fear to have brought some of the beasts at home.
So when coming home we had to seal all our luggage in plastic bags and contact a vermin expert to find out how to be sure that there are no remains left in our belongings, which maybe was and is the most annoying part ot this problem. :-(

If technically possible [this is my first review on tripadvisor, but I've often profited by the information given here so I want to warn everybody, that even good hotels can have very bad surprises], I'll try to update this review when we finally found a solution.

All information sources say that the presence of bed bugs does not necessarily mean a lack of hygiene, but that they can be everywhere and distribute rapidly...

Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank Jürgen H
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We often choose design hotels for our weeked escapes.Unfortunately most of the design hotels contain one or two design features.Suprisingly Monty Small Design Hotel really deserves to be a reall Design Hotel.Almost every item is from a designer such as Ron ARAD, P STARCK, İngo Maurer......
We have read about this hotel on National Geographic magazine.
The breakfast was really good and the staff is excellent.
We stayed in 104 and our friends stayed in 102 .The rooms are confortable, the wifi works excellent and you dont have to pay for it (mostdesign hotels charge it as extra).
We definately will be back...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SarahJohn00
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woluwe-Saint-Lambert
Ramada Brussels Woluwe
Tangla Hotel Brussels
#1 of 4 in Woluwe-Saint-Lambert
Best Western Plus Park Hotel Brussels
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek

Been to Monty Design Hotel? Share your experiences!