“Diamond in the rough”
Review of Maison AZ

Maison AZ
Ranked #4 of 9 Saint-Gilles B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Tough neighborhood, but charming hotel. Owners were very pleasant and accommodating. Only criticisms were that the room wasn't cleaned and made up every day of our visit, my curling iron melted even though I used the converter supplied by the hotel, and the bathroom was upstairs from our sleeping/living area. The stairs were very narrow and awkward, and quite slippery. Made us both a little nervous as we are not young.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Maison AZ

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Maison AZ would benefit from better signage as it is just off the page from all the main tourist maps. When you find it, though, you'll be very pleasantly surprised. The renovated house is beautiful and our room was very spacious but high ceilings, fireplace, chandelier etc. Some street noise is apparent and ambulances from the nearby hospital sound loud but stop by bedtime. A cosy night was followed by a drench shower in a huge bathroom. Breakfast is continental style but lovingly laid out and personal attention I unobtrusive - freshest bread and croissants this trip in extremely generous amounts. Plenty of info about Brussels readily available and without any exaggeration, when you press the button for the owners they run to get to you immediately. We had an early flight on morning 2 and the complete breakfast experience was provided for us a good bit inadvance of the normal 7 am start - above and beyond in my book so brownie points +++ for an already excellent stay

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LJGscotia
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Although we struggled to locate this B&B, once we were there it was beautiful. It was so comfortable it felt like home & the owner very kindly gave us a bottle of wine upon arrival & his mobile number in case we got lost (our own fault).
we stayed in the superior suite which was very beautiful and had everything you needed, a very comfortable bed, lovley bathroom, excellent kitchen & a beautiful roof terrace. The roof terrace showed you the view over the rooftops of the city which almost reminded me
of the famous film bedknobs and broomsticks (a very famous old london film) very romantic & for someone who doesn't like heights I really enjoyed it & felt very safe.
The breakfast was very enjoyable and on new years morning the owner gave us a glass of champagne very nice.
I would definitely recommend this B&B, as previously stated surrounding area not great,.
The only thing I would of liked to have had was a mirror in the lounge or bedroom.

Room Tip: Its worth paying for the superior room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

A small and very inviting B and B. The location is wonderful and the innkeepers are marvelous and the price is quite competitive. My daughter has stayed here twice and recommended that I book while in Brussels in November. I arrived early, well before check in after an all night flight from the states. They provided me with a breakfast and secured my luggage. My room was not ready, but when I returned late afternoon luggage was in my room. I stayed three nights initially, then spent one night in Brugge and returned for a Saturday night stay. Short walk to the Gare du Midi Station and across fron the Porte De Hal Hallepoort. A good ten minute walk to the Place Royale. Excellent restaurants nearby. Highly recommended. Excellent WiFi which is important for my business needs.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Been here on a last second booking for a single night for a work trip and if it was part of a given reward program I'm member of, I'd be back here every single time I'm in Brussels (but alas...)

The hotel, which is actually more a mini-apartment place, is nice, with the reception area accessible from an internal courtyard. A few steps with no go around take you to a minuscule lobby area and the breakfast area (very nicely furnished). An, again minuscule, elevator (like, no more than one person with luggage at a time) takes you to the room, which are actually mini-suites.

Mine was not really fancy, but was large, nice, comfortable and, had I wished to, with a kitchenette. The bedroom was minimalist, but the bed very comfortable. Two bathrooms (shall we say, for different uses...) one of which with an enormous bathtub (which comes in handy in November, if you come back frozen).

The breakfast was very nice and the personnel exquisite. A little gem, all in all.

The bad note: as someone noticed, the neighborhood, altho at a walking dictance from teh Eu quartier, isn't the most well kept. Considering the metro station is a handful of meters away it might not be a problem for most, yet it might be a factor.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Hotel is OK. I had a big suite, more like an apartment. Bathroom was a bit basic though. Great breakfast and the proprieter is very helpful.

However the location is not great. A bit rough in the streets and surrounding areas. OK for the Gare du Midi but I think there are better locations in Brussels.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room, they are worth it and higher in the building.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LondonDavidS
Reviewed 21 May 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
NH Collection Brussels Centre
Made in Louise
Made in Louise
#1 of 15 in Ixelles
Hotel Be Manos, BW Premier Collection

Been to Maison AZ? Share your experiences!