“Disappointed”

Novotel Brussels Midi Station
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Saint-Gilles
Reviewed 15 August 2013

To be true, I don't know what other people usually demand from a 4-star hotel, but personally I expect to get at least a clean and quiet room. The first room I was assigned at the Cascade Midi Brussels hotel was neither clean nor quiet.
OK, here comes the full (sadly pretty long) story:

I arrived after a long and tiring journey late at night at the Cascade Midi. The friendly gentlemen at the front desk gave me a room on the 7th floor - facing the rail-road tracks. When I finally wanted to go to bed I detected two yucky looking spots on the bed sheet; each measured roughly 1 inch in diameter (see photos). It escapes my mind how housekeeping could have overseen such a stained sheet!

Anyway: It was in the middle of the night, it was a king size bed and the stains were “only” on one side of the sheet. The rest of the sheet seemed to be OK so I decided to cover the stain with a towel and to sleep on the other side of the bed. Of course I wanted to talk to the front desk the next morning to make sure that I would get a clean sheet for the following 2 nights I was staying at the hotel.

Then, a couple of hours later, shortly before dawn I heard how a train was rolling into the Midi (Southern) train station. It was not particularly loud - but still clearly audible. The window (probably only double glazing instead of the necessary triple glazing) was closed by the way. And another train and then yet another train followed. You've probably guessed it already by now: It was impossible for me to sleep in that room and I asked the person at the front desk to please give me another room. Without further ado he gave me a room on the 6th floor - facing the ugly backyard (see photo).

Anyhow: The contemporary designed room was quiet (no noise from trains entering the station) and it also appeared to be pretty clean. Only drawback of that room compared to the previous one was that the bathroom was substantially smaller - but I could live with that detail. There was a bathtub with shower. Amenities were sparse; for example there was no separate shampoo available, just the one-for-all shampoo-and-soap dispenser which reminds me more of a 2 or 3 star hotel than a (supposedly) 4-star hotel.

The powerful a/c (air conditioning) in the room worked very well. The room also had an electronic in-room safe, but I think I didn't see any user manual. Unfortunately, there was also neither a kettle nor a coffee-maker in the room. The flat-screen TV was good, with a lot of programs in various languages, but the brightness of the screen changed slightly on its own every few seconds.

After such as bad start, I tried my best to feel comfortable in that hotel. So later that day I decided to have a drink at the hotel bar. That was largely wishful thinking because a staff member soon explained to me that the bar was closed during the summer months. But he asked me if I wanted something from the bar and so I actually got to have a drink at the hotel bar - even though it was officially closed.

In the lobby area they have a desktop computer with a highly welcome printer that guests can use for free for example for printing boarding passes. I didn't try the WiFi system as I had access to the Internet somehow else most of the time.

I've paid 48 Euros (42 £ / 64 USD) per night - without breakfast however. Front desk advised me that breakfast would cost 15 Euros extra per day and person. I decided to try breakfast the second morning of my stay and overall I'd say breakfast was good. Not as good as at other 4 star hotels I know of but it was OK. The hotel restaurant itself has a very modern look!

The person on duty in the restaurant was very friendly and for example immediately replenished the spoons when they run out and so on. Nevertheless 15 Euros is too much for what was on offer. 10 Euros would have been adequate, especially on weekends where they - as it seems - offer less choices than on weekdays.
By the way: Upon checkout you have to pay the Brussels City Tax (in French: “Taxe sur les établissements hôteliers”, which I think is generally not included in the hotel prices of the hotels in Brussels) which was around 7 Euros per night.

There are a couple of alternative options for breakfast (and dinner by the way) around the Midi train station, especially at the Horta Square, which is located on the opposite side of the tracks (you basically just walk straight through the train station to get there) and where there are a couple of nice restaurants and bars catering to the Eurostar and Thalys travellers. However, on weekends they seem to open later than on weekdays (9 am or 10 am?).

As other reviewers have mentioned already, the immediate area around the Midi train station is a bit rough with some homeless people sleeping there at night. Otherwise the general area is OK. The Midi train station is much nicer than the Northern train station in Brussels for example. If you can afford it and absolutely want/need to be near a train station in Brussels, then I'd suggest staying at one of the hotels near the Central train station, the nicest of the three main train stations in Brussels city.

Next to the Midi train station there were also a bus, a tram and a metro (underground / subway) station. From Brussels National airport there's a direct train connection to Midi train station (journey time was less than 30 minutes and cost less than 10 Euros if I remember correctly). So the hotel is also very convenient for travellers that arrive in Brussels by air.

Conclusion:
As luck would have it, the hotel was not fully booked (70% occupancy rate as one of the staff members told me) so it was no problem to change rooms. And every major problem I had was somehow professionally resolved by one of the staff members (that's the reason by the way why I gave this hotel 3 stars instead of only 2). But: I simply experienced too many problems at the Cascade Midi Hotel to even consider returning there any time soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Voyager
Joris C, General Manager at Novotel Brussels Midi Station, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all a big thank you for taking the time to share you experience at the Hotel Cascade Midi.

As you took the time to give a detailed feedback I took time, with pleasure, to read it through several times.

I have noted down the positive points, mainly the staff, being of major importance for a hotel.

It goes without saying that I have made a detailed analysis of the points where we can work on.

In the meanwhile we have installed coffee & tea facilities in all of the rooms and are revising the amenities in the bathroom.

All of the other points have been spoken trough with the department heads in order to adapt where necessary and/or possible.

We will keep on working hard to improve where we can, in order to meet your and our standards.

Despite your less positive experience we hope to be welcoming you back to show you that the inconveniences that you had were exceptional rather than general.

Kind regards,

Joris Cammaer

Reviewed 2 August 2013

The location is great because it is right across for the Euto Star Station. The rooms we a good size and very comfortable. There is no air conditioning so we opened the window. It was a bit noisy at times. Staff was nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Debbi G,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Cascade Midi Brussels.

Just for the record I would like to mention that all of our rooms are equipped with an individual air conditioning. Next time please feel free to ask our receptionists to give a hand in case anything is not clear in the functioning.

We hope to welcoming you back soon in Brussels.

Kind regards,

Joris Cammaer
General Manager.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed here last November 2012 and really enjoyed the fantastic location with Brussel Midi Station just across the road after arriving by Euro Star from St.Pancras London.Staff are friendly and informative with local knowledge.Rooms are very modern and clean.That goes well with the bathrooms with modern design with power shower/bath.Early check-in no problem,because they have lockers at ground level.Useful if you just want to dump the luggage and shoot off to explore like we did.And also after check-out we used it so no need to carry luggage around to wait for the train to go back to London,while having lunch.Local Metro opposite and buses readily available.We walked all the the way to Grand Place stopping by different bars,cafes and restaurants.Definitely will go back again.

Room Tip: We booked with thetrainline.com package.Great value.Sometimes laterooms.com or trivago.com will have...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert8888Lee
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed here en route to a meeting outside Brussels (in the middle of nowhere) so I wanted somewhere right next to the station. Due to its location I was expecting the hotel to be another overpriced place riding off the back of being next to the station but I was very pleasantly surprised to find a decent sized room and bathroom. Despite being opposite the station and on the main road it was very quiet although it was winter so I didn't open the window. I ate in the restaurant as I arrived so late and some of the food was a bit remniscent of a school canteen but breakfast was much better.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Clean, elegant design. Spa bathroom. Great location next to Midi Station, but with windows closed, you don't even hear the trains and such (note: if open you certainly will). Easy walk to everything. Small but excellent, safe parking garage (though very steep/narrow to enter/exit). Easy to drive to (vs most other locations in central Brussels). As others note, the rooms are not large, but for the city, they are not what I would call 'small.' Some note concerns about the neighborhood. I would only say that although we stayed alert, esp. late at night based on other reviews, we did not find it at all concerning. It's just very multicultural and middle class rather than 'upscale.' The extent of ethnic food options in the area was fabulous, which is a 'plus' of such a neighborhood. Will return.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kristy N
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Two nights short city break in Brussels. This hotel is within easy walking distance of the main Eurostar train station (once you work out which exit to use from the Station). The room was very comfortable and clean.
The Breakfast buffet was very nice - and contained cooked breakfast items (which is unusual in my experience in Europe).
Being so close to the station you can then explore the city easily using the metro, tram and bus system - for instance 3 metro stops from Le Grand Place.
Definitely Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I used this for an overnight stay in Brussels. It is Opposite Brussels Midi station within 5 minutes walk and as you expect the area is a bit rough at night. The hotel is clean and tidy, quite and cosy rooms. I haven't tried the restaurant as i arrived quite late and left early.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
Ibis Brussels Centre Gare Midi
#6 of 22 in Saint-Gilles
Hotel Metropole
Hotel Metropole
#69 of 198 in Brussels

Been to Novotel Brussels Midi Station? Share your experiences!