I asked my travel agent to book me in to a hotel that had easy access to Brussels Midi Railway Station, as I was arriving in from Luxembourg & was going to London the next day, by Eurostar.
The hotel was in a great location, being only a minute's walk from the station. It has its own courtyard which gives a little bit of seclusion away from the hustle & bustle of the city. My travel agent had provided me with a good hotel in this respect.
The day before my arrival, I had received an email from the hotel encouraging me to check-in online (something the Park Inn chain seems to be trialling, I believe). I did & everything was set for me to collect my key when I got there.
I arrived at the hotel at about 1145, somewhat earlier than I had originally planned (due to me catching an earlier train from Luxembourg) & did not expect to be able to check in to me room (I planned to leave my luggage & go off & explore the city). Therefore, I was delighted to be given a key to my room, located on the sixth floor. Check-in was fast (I had provided all the details needed, on line) & I was in my room a few moments later.
My room, 610, was large, comfortable & very pleasant indeed. Free wifi was a great bonus, & I used it whilst at the hotel. The bathroom had a walk-in shower (perfect for my needs), had plug sockets in all the right places for you to work & was spotlessly clean. I had no view as such, except to look on to other parts of the hotel, but that was not an issue as I wasn't there to sit gazing out of my window.
Tea & coffee making facilities & a complimentary bottle of water were provided & were adequate for my short stay.
Staff were perfunctory, but unlike those at the Park Inn Luxembourg (see separate review), I did not feel welcome, nor made to feel that my business was wanted, which was a pity, given that the hotel, in it's own right, was really rather good.
I'm lucky enough to speak French a little more than average & I can get by in basic Dutch. Therefore, although I was able to be "tri-lingual" it didn't make any difference as whoever I dealt with, I got no more warmth than a cup of cold coffee.
I decided to eat in the hotel that evening, & was offered a somewhat basic "weekend menu". Aside from a table of four ladies, there was myself & then another gentleman came in, followed by a couple a little while later. The waiter was pleasant enough, but he was alone the whole time.
We did get a visit from the chef to see if our meal's were in order, which was a pleasant touch. My meal was good enough & I had no complaints.
There was a bar, but this appeared to be closed at weekends, so it was not somwhere I ventured. So, after dinner I returned to my room to do some work. My bed was extremely comfortable & I slept soundly.
The buffet breakfast the next day was good & replenished by the chefs. However, at no time did I see a member of staff on duty, so I went & sat at a table & basically helped myself to the buffet. No one came to see if my meal was ok, nor if I'd actually paid (it was included in my room rate). Several people came & stood at the entrance & it was only when I becknoned them to come in, did they & they too helped themselves to food.
I have no complaints with the hotel & would return there again if I wanted somewhere with easy access to the Brussels Midi Railway Station. But, if service is important, please be prepared for a shock, as it really doesn't exist there.
For the hotel, it has nine out of ten, but for service, I think a one is being more than generous.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Park Inn by Radisson Brussels Midi is a smart, colourful and vibrant hotel in the heart of Brussels. With easy check-in, great connectivity and a team specialized in friendly service, we aim to make your stay as uncomplicated as possible, because life is complicated enough. From check-in to departure, Park Inn by Radisson Brussels Midi is friendly and smart with an uncomplicated service. From our colourful lobby, great RBG bar & grill to our spacious rooms, find the best sleep in town...Every time. The hotel is located directly at the busiest international railway station of Belgium; Bruxelles Midi / Brussel Zuid . The building offers 142 rooms, 5 meeting spaces, marvelous RBG bar & grill, with direct access to the garden with terrace and fitness room and secured underground parking. Park Inn by Radisson, Carlson Rezidor's mid-market brand, has most recently been re-launched as a vibrant offer for the growing clientele of Gen X and Gen Y. Based on the three pillars of "choice", "connectivity" and "community", Park Inn by Radisson offers friendly and welcoming hospitality at a competitive price and features services such as free high speed internet access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Rezidor, Booking.com, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Park Inn by Radisson Brussels Midi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Park Inn By Radisson Brussels Midi Hotel Saint-Gilles
- Park Inn By Radisson Brussels Midi Belgium