“Great Hotel & Location, Shame About The Staff”

Park Inn by Radisson Brussels Midi
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Saint-Gilles
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel & Location, Shame About The Staff”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I asked my travel agent to book me in to a hotel that had easy access to Brussels Midi Railway Station, as I was arriving in from Luxembourg & was going to London the next day, by Eurostar.

The hotel was in a great location, being only a minute's walk from the station. It has its own courtyard which gives a little bit of seclusion away from the hustle & bustle of the city. My travel agent had provided me with a good hotel in this respect.

The day before my arrival, I had received an email from the hotel encouraging me to check-in online (something the Park Inn chain seems to be trialling, I believe). I did & everything was set for me to collect my key when I got there.

I arrived at the hotel at about 1145, somewhat earlier than I had originally planned (due to me catching an earlier train from Luxembourg) & did not expect to be able to check in to me room (I planned to leave my luggage & go off & explore the city). Therefore, I was delighted to be given a key to my room, located on the sixth floor. Check-in was fast (I had provided all the details needed, on line) & I was in my room a few moments later.

My room, 610, was large, comfortable & very pleasant indeed. Free wifi was a great bonus, & I used it whilst at the hotel. The bathroom had a walk-in shower (perfect for my needs), had plug sockets in all the right places for you to work & was spotlessly clean. I had no view as such, except to look on to other parts of the hotel, but that was not an issue as I wasn't there to sit gazing out of my window.

Tea & coffee making facilities & a complimentary bottle of water were provided & were adequate for my short stay.

Staff were perfunctory, but unlike those at the Park Inn Luxembourg (see separate review), I did not feel welcome, nor made to feel that my business was wanted, which was a pity, given that the hotel, in it's own right, was really rather good.

I'm lucky enough to speak French a little more than average & I can get by in basic Dutch. Therefore, although I was able to be "tri-lingual" it didn't make any difference as whoever I dealt with, I got no more warmth than a cup of cold coffee.

I decided to eat in the hotel that evening, & was offered a somewhat basic "weekend menu". Aside from a table of four ladies, there was myself & then another gentleman came in, followed by a couple a little while later. The waiter was pleasant enough, but he was alone the whole time.

We did get a visit from the chef to see if our meal's were in order, which was a pleasant touch. My meal was good enough & I had no complaints.

There was a bar, but this appeared to be closed at weekends, so it was not somwhere I ventured. So, after dinner I returned to my room to do some work. My bed was extremely comfortable & I slept soundly.

The buffet breakfast the next day was good & replenished by the chefs. However, at no time did I see a member of staff on duty, so I went & sat at a table & basically helped myself to the buffet. No one came to see if my meal was ok, nor if I'd actually paid (it was included in my room rate). Several people came & stood at the entrance & it was only when I becknoned them to come in, did they & they too helped themselves to food.

I have no complaints with the hotel & would return there again if I wanted somewhere with easy access to the Brussels Midi Railway Station. But, if service is important, please be prepared for a shock, as it really doesn't exist there.

For the hotel, it has nine out of ten, but for service, I think a one is being more than generous.

Room Tip: As there is a courtyard between the hotel & the railway station, most, if not all, rooms will gi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank wottraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just over the road from Midi train station (Eurostar), plus on Metro for easy access to centre of city, but no noise, set back from road. Staff couldn't be more helpful, rooms clean and good sized. Breakfast is buffet style with plenty to choose from, and open from early 7am - 10am (I think?). Would use again if in Brussels

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Park Inn by Radisson Hotels

Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Across from rail and metro lines at Midi Station. Very clean, large rooms, nice beds, restaurant, bar, fitness, wifi all on property. Area is actually nicer than some station areas in urban areas. We did NOT feel threatened by being in this neighborhood and we were out at all times of the day and night. Less pricey option for a Brussels stay than the properties in the downtown area. Easy access from airport as well.

Room Tip: Rooms were inside courtyard of business center and very quiet. twin beds were together so you actua...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great location directly opposite the exit of Brussels Midi with the Eurostar connection from london, and a twenty minute stroll into the centre of town.Clean rooms and smart look and feel in the public areas.Very good breakfast albeit pricey and cheaper option in the station.Rooms over the service entrance are noisy late at night and early in the morning so avoid room 104 and rooms nearby.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gav43
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed 28 May 2014

the location is great if somebody is travelling at Midi station for a short time .The room was spacious,clean.the staff were very helpful . My comment usually with all hotels is to make the Wi connection simpler .With registration ,give us the password which works everywhere without problems.
The area around the Station is said by many locals that is not very safe to walk around at night if you are alone. It takes about 20-30 minutes walk to reach Grand place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

If you are arriving at Brussels Midi train or Metro station, this is just about the closest hotel you will find - it is directly across the street from one of the station exits. It is a modern hotel with all the amenities you would expect from such an establishment. My room was large and comfortable. It had good wifi plus TV channels from across Europe and beyond.

My single criticism of the hotel was the breakfast room. It was simply too small for a hotel of this size, so was crowded. It also seemed to take an eternity to refill one of the hot dishes.

I cannot comment on its value for money as I was not paying the bill and was part of a corporate booking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank wakeupjames
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This hotel is in such a great location. We got the train from the airport and got off at the metro station directly opposite the hotel. The station itself had everything, shops, food hall and mini supermarket!

The room was spacious and spotless an very trendy. Loved the décor.

Staff were really friendly and helpful, very polite.

Would definitely recommend this hotel and will hopefully return ourselves too!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kiera F
Mr_ParkBXL, Guest Relations Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Brussels Midi, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Kiera F,

Thanks for your visit and the nice comments regarding your stay!
We are crossing our fingers too you'll stay again with us again!

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay updated about our hotel and specials!

Best regards,

Mr_Park BXL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
Ibis Brussels Centre Gare Midi
Novotel Brussels Midi Station
Novotel Brussels Midi Station
#6 of 22 in Saint-Gilles
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek

Been to Park Inn by Radisson Brussels Midi? Share your experiences!