“Non-clients hanging out in the lounge, poor service, bad internet, good breakfast”

Citadines Toison d'Or Hotel
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Saint-Gilles
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I had requested a non-smoking room, and the one I was given stunk awfully. Since I was in an incredible rush for an appointment, I couldn't mention it to the reception, thinking I could make a room change in the evening. When I returned, the staff claimed they had no rights to manage a room change, and only after my insisting that I had health issues and couldn't possibly sleep in the one I was given, did they give me another one.
The internet did not work.-
I felt very uncomfortable with the presence of people who were clearly not customers, in the internet corner next to the reception. It mostly happened in the evening, and they were clearly acquaintances of the receptionist, monopolizing the computers and the coffee machine... All this, despite the security code one needed in order to enter the building at night.

What is more, I contacted them after I left, regarding an iPod I thought I had forgotten there, probably due to the rushed room change, and their reaction lacked effort and empathy, since they only dismissed my concern.

When I filled a contact form with my comments, on their website, I got no reply.

Although the location is fine, the rooms large and the breakfast was very good, I would *not* go back to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank OlgaMo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed 15 October 2013

On paper this hotel seems perfect. All rooms come with a kitchenette and they are pet friendly. Near the metro and a garage attached to the hotel.

All of these things are true. Unfortunately, there is more to the story. While we did park in the garage - it was practically impossible to get out of the garage. There are instructions to "flash your headlights" to get the gate to open - and in order to flash in the appropriate angle to get the gates to open, you couldn't actually make the turn out of the garage (without distroying your vehicle in the process). So we had to rush around to the other direction to get out, and by that point the gate had closed. Maddening. We have a small European car - so it certainly isn't an issue of auto size - basically the construction was just stupid.

Additionally, while we did have a kitchenette, it was crammed into the hallway of our bedroom, so practically unusable (we had a studio apartment, possibly the larger rooms are better). It was equipped with a two burner stove top, microwave, fridge, dishwasher, and sink. Had service for 2 - 4 (although there was no place to actually eat, execpt the bed).

The temperature in the room was ungodly. Not sure why the heat was on full blast (it averaged 55 degrees, certainly not cold) - we didn't have our radiators on in our room, but it was so warm we had to sleep with the window wide open at night. Which wouldn't be a problem but because we were near a few night clubs, it was extremely loud.

Also, our room was next to the elevator shaft, which shook our mirror in our bathroom every time the elevator moved - loud and disconcerting, to say the least.

However, I will give this place props for being in a good location - outside of the city center, but we were next to 2 metro stations (on lines 2 & 6) which were easy connections to the center and other attractions.

If you bring your pets, be aware - there is NO grass near this hotel. We had to walk down the block and cross a busy street for a strip of grass. However, this seems to be true across the board for Brussels - they seem to favor concrete & gravel over grass.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EB K
Marbella, Spain
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Location: very close to Avenue Louise metro and trams; not far from city centre (15 min. walk) but noisy (road traffic).
Kitchenette area cramped, but functional and handy (with good supermarket round the corner in the neighbouring street plus a good delicatessen some 100 yards farther on in same street). Some nice restaurants in side streets off this one.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Clarx
Sutton, Surrey
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My booking was for the sister hotel Sainte Catherine but was changed on the morning of my arrival due to a 'Technical Fault'. However the management took all possible action to inform me by email and via my mobile. They were also very fair in compensating me for the inconvenience of being further from the city centre. I found the Toison d'Or Hotel to be comfortable and clean with a good size room. The cold breakfast was fine and more than adequate for my needs.

Room Tip: My room was on the main road side and as I didn't need to open the window noise was not a proble...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nigel L
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Whilst the hotel apartment is quite spacious and in a perfect central location, it needs major rennovation, the walls are peeling, the carpeting is so old and some areas have this weird extra carpeting over the original one kind of like patches as if they are hiding tears or something! The sofa bed had a broken piece of metal hanging out of it! There is only one toilet in the apartment (2 bathrooms with showers and sinks but no toilet) so in our situation with 4 adults and 2 kids it was not very convenient. There was no hot water on the first night then it seemed to be working fine after that, the sinks in the bathroom were a bit clogged which really disgusts me. The staff are not friendly at all, the lady behind the check in desk does not even bother to greet you, she raises her head to see who walked in or walked out and that's it! In the 3 nights we stayed, house keeping passed by us on the 4th day as we were getting ready to leave but during our stay our apartment was not serviced, and the housekeeping lady too didn't seem friendly at all, she didn't even smile.
If we ever return to this hotel it will only be for it's location.

Room Tip: We were on the 7 th floor at it wasn't noisy however i'm pretty sure the rooms on the lower...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank youngfamily08
Bangalore
Reviewed 10 May 2013

A no frills hotel, clean and comfortable and in a great part of town. I liked the layout with the 1 bedroom as we were a couple + 1. The toilet is separate from the bathroom and that makes it a lot easier with 3 people. Super close to the metro with helpful staff and 24 hours coffee & tea i nteh lobby. The hotel umbrellas for use when it was raining added a nice touch. Would definitely recommend

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank isheenthisheen
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Hard to find a modestly priced hotel in the center of Brussels. This is one is just that. Nothing fancy but room was clean and staff were helpful. In the vibrant Louise area. Had a room at the back so was very quiet. I'd go back here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank djp789
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
Pantone Hotel
Adagio Brussels Centre Monnaie
Made in Louise
Made in Louise
#1 of 16 in Ixelles

Been to Citadines Toison d'Or Hotel? Share your experiences!