“Piss poor hotel!!!”

Citadines Toison d'Or Hotel
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Saint-Gilles
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My experience as it relates to the stay in this hotel was indescribable. The room was deathly cold, the pillows were as flat as a badly beaten pancake. The room lacked a reading lamp as well as a simple notepad and pen. The bed was prepared with an old duvet not consistent with the ones on the other beds of the hotel. The hotel staff appeared to be accommodating initially but after complaining they seemed agitated and unhelpful. The microwave was not cleaned, there was no iron in the room and a garbage bin was brought in as an afterthought. I would never, ever stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Keren P

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Hotel is located near the metro station, helpful stuff in the reception, nice and modern simple rooms with great bathroom. I had some troubles with electricity not working properly in my room during the first night. Second night was without problems. Recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Our stay in April found the facilities upgraded with modern room, kitchenette and bathroom.

Our room on the side street was a little noisy as it was immediately above a supermarket that had early deliveries.

The side street has access to that supermarket and a modern convenience store with package meals a further 100 along.

The side street also leads to a small group of restaurants and brassiere in the next intersection.

Televisions have a mix of UK and Euro television channels.

Free WiFi is available in room. Signal is strong and speed good.

Free coffee and tea facilities can be found in the main foyer.

Well positioned hotel to rail and trams.

Summing up will stay here when back.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms on the off street side would provide quieter sleep.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Travel3220
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Booked into this hotel for four nights at the end of January 2014.The hotel is in a great location, wide avenue with loads of designer shops and too many places to eat!
The staff were great to us (Thanks Sebastien!). Metro station less than 5 mins walk and the Grand Place around 10-15 mins walk. Self catering appartments were very clean and well equiped. Overall, a good place to base yourself if you want to visit Brussels.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank hibee07
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I spent a few days here in February of 2013. I know it was a while ago, but standards are solid and should not change during this kind of short periods. The hotel has a very good public transport link to the most important sites of Brussels, and is in a reasonable walking distance from the city center. It is totally worth to pay for bad & breakfast, because the buffet has a very wide selection of continental and Anglo Saxon type of food. You get the basic amenities in your room like coffe, tea, kettle, small biscuit, etc. and the non-basics like flat screen TV, indivual HI-FI system as well.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lazarusz R
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I read mixed reviews on this hotel but we were quite satisfied. We found the staff charming and helpful, and the room was very comfortable. It may have been in need of renovations, if you are looking for glamour this isnt the place for you, but we felt quite at home at a very good price. A good value for your money. We had an Apartment room with a small Kitchen which was quite satisfactory. We would stay again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DianeAmundsen
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I had requested a non-smoking room, and the one I was given stunk awfully. Since I was in an incredible rush for an appointment, I couldn't mention it to the reception, thinking I could make a room change in the evening. When I returned, the staff claimed they had no rights to manage a room change, and only after my insisting that I had health issues and couldn't possibly sleep in the one I was given, did they give me another one.
The internet did not work.-
I felt very uncomfortable with the presence of people who were clearly not customers, in the internet corner next to the reception. It mostly happened in the evening, and they were clearly acquaintances of the receptionist, monopolizing the computers and the coffee machine... All this, despite the security code one needed in order to enter the building at night.

What is more, I contacted them after I left, regarding an iPod I thought I had forgotten there, probably due to the rushed room change, and their reaction lacked effort and empathy, since they only dismissed my concern.

When I filled a contact form with my comments, on their website, I got no reply.

Although the location is fine, the rooms large and the breakfast was very good, I would *not* go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank OlgaMo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
Pantone Hotel
Pantone Hotel
#6 of 22 in Saint-Gilles
Citadines Sainte-Catherine Brussels
Ibis Brussels Centre Gare Midi
1 mi away
Adagio Brussels Grand Place
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
MAS Residence
MAS Residence
#1 of 199 in Brussels

Been to Citadines Toison d'Or Hotel? Share your experiences!