“Art and Busy Lifestyles”
Review of L'Art de la Fugue

and 1 more site!
L'Art de la Fugue
Ranked #3 of 9 Saint-Gilles B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Art and Busy Lifestyles”
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We booked at L'Art de la Fugue after reading the TripAdvisor reviews....And we were a bit concerned...would the hosts be there? Was the area safe? ..it was a gamble...and it paid off.

Firstly we were quite concerned before we arrived about the local area as so many reviewers had remarked ablout it, but we felt very safe. There is a Mosque a few doors down and it is a quick walk to shops and the metro. The area was very middle income, and we had no concerns as we wheeled our suitcases down the street.

Our room at L'Art de la Fugue was on the top floor..and there were stairs and many many of them...But the reward was pretty impressive. We had an African themed room and the sheer volume of pieces and style demonstrated an actual passion for art over and above just decking out a room for tourists, I felt a genuine passion for art.

We met both the owners Frederick and Michele at different times, and they do seem busy people (as other reviewers have mentioned), but they found time for us.

Breakfast was full of chocolate and....no....I won't spoil it.....but it was well worth it.

I would recommend this B&B for most travellers. If you are a confident traveller and you do not have piles of luggage....this is an ideal B&B.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MikeTheRiley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Paris
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Behing this big red door lies an unexpected bed and breakfast- close to the Train Station
full of exotic souvenirs
perfect hosts
we stayed in Indochina room, but looking forward to coming back to Brussels and stay in every other secret rooms
ideal both for business and romantic escapade

Tuyen and JC

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank neyut
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 8 June 2008

We absolutely loved this B&B - Frederick and Michele are absolutely the best hosts - personable, concerned about our experiences, and very helpful.

The location is just about 3 city blocks from the Midi station (which worked wonderfully for us since we planned on daytrips from Brussels); I never once felt unsafe in the area. The B&B, itself, is unbelievable inside - Frederick and Michele have filled the area with collectibles, antiques, thematic designs on each of the rooms. The breakfast area is being re-worked, so it was under construction while we were there - we must come back next year to see the finished product.

We stayed in the Lawrence of Arabia room - which is at the top of 75 or so stairs; it is a room with two levels - a living area (with two potential twin beds - but are used as seating) and a loft area reachable by a set of steps. The loft bedroom has a king-sized bed and an unbelievable bathroom - soaking tub, separate shower, double vanity sinks. The way the loft is designed, you get the feeling of being in a tent - hard to explain, but after a few days I figured it out. There is also television that had CNN and the BBC channels. My husband was delighted with the free wi-fi - he could set up the laptop.

The room was a little daunting, at first - the loft stairs have a rope bannister on just one side and open on the other. I was a little nervous about descending - but after a few days (we were there for seven nights), I relaxed - it was just fun to be there. The room was huge - I just cannot stress that enough - we had come from London where our hotel room was smaller than the first level of the "Lawrence" room.

Breakfast, as others have said was wonderful - the coffee machine worked fine for us and the fresh croissants, breads, and yoghurts were fabulous. I especially loved the chocolate spread offered. Since Frederick runs a restaurant (Et qui va promener le chien?) I am not surprised that the breakfast was so good. By the way - he explained the name of the restaurant - "And who will walk the dog?" - since both of them are so busy with their many careers - someone asked him when he started the restaurant - "so who will walk the dog/" (Dog is Vikki - a darling little terrier).

Brussels, itself grew on me - I wasn't really crazy about the place at first (as one TA contributor said - she preferred to come back to her lovely room here at the B&B rather than be in the City)- but I finally started to enjoy the different areas. I know that our great times here at L'arte de la Fugue helped a lot. I'm sure we will return to Brussels - and this place is a huge draw.

I realize that we were fortunate at having the hosts around as much as we did - some other TA contributors mentioned disappointment at being left without seeing much of them and I can understand that.

• Liked — Room and location
  • Disliked — Top floor room reachable by 75 steps
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
london uk
Reviewed 5 May 2008

B&B in a great area, as it is close to Eurostar train station. First thoughts about the area were a concern but over the three days I found the area safe.
I was greeted by the owner which was great as my train was delayed. However I didn't see the owners again during my stay (they did explain this to me as they work full time) but I would have liked to have seen them in person when I was paying for my stay before I left the B&B. I had to leave the cash in the room and wanted to pay by card. Also disappointed that my room wasn't cleaned everyday.
The B&B ' decor is lovely and my room was great. I thought the breakfast was good, loved the music.

• Liked — location and decor
  • Disliked — lack of staff
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
Nottingham
Reviewed 11 April 2008

We stayed at L'Art de la Fugue on New Years Eve 07. The room was nice, but it was not the one we had booked - we booked the Farnelli, but were given one with an Indian theme.

Our main complaint there was no breakfast available when we got up and no one around to help (except other guests). We had to leave by 9.30am for a train, so could not wait. We appreciate that it was new years’ day, but it would have been nice if provision had been made for guests to make their own breakfast (or at least a coffee).

Finally there was nobody available to pay, so we had to call a mobile number (and wake someone up) to check what to do. We were told to leave the cash in the room (actually a bit more than we'd been quoted despite having had no breakfast).

• Liked — The building
  • Disliked — No breakfast!
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LucyB08
Madrid
Reviewed 24 March 2008

Hi, we are a young coupple from Madrid, Spain, and we were in this nice B&B for 3 nights during this Easter week.
Let´s go step by step.

Personal touch:
Many reviewers say that there is no personal attention and that they didn´t meet the owners. Okay, i think it is probably true and when i say that i mean that probably you will not see anyone there during the day time due to the owners jobs.
We called Frederic before getting there, one hour, and he was at the hotel when we arrived to show us our room and give us the keys. It was early in the morning and the room wasn´t ready but we had no problem leaving the luggage in the living room.
I´ve to say that they were under improvement jobs in the ground floor so Frederic was there every morning. We saw him every day and also was perfect when we leave the hotel. We paid and left the luggage in the room. At mid day when we came back we took our bags and left the key in the room´s door. Nobody there but he told us so.

The room:
We stayed in the red-coloured room, i don´t remember the name, but it is the one called "austin powers" by other reviewer, hehe. It could be true!hehe
Anyhow, nice room, huge size and also huge bathroom with a lot of space. Separated bath and shower cabin. The water (which is important for me) was of a nice pressure and temperature instantly, even being on the top floor.
The bed was really good. The mat was firm and very comfortable. We didn´t like so much the pillows but you know...that´s pretty personal.
The only weird thing was that they didn´t make up the room any day! and with that i mean that nobody seemed to enter the room during the 3 nights we had it.......
anyway.... nice place and nice room as well.

Breakfast:
Unbeatable. We enjoyed it the most. The coffee was really good (i like coffee a lot and i can tell you that coffee was delicious) and you got also orange juice, milk and different teas.
The breakfast consisted on different bread types (loved the dark one with sweeds and cereals) and some croissants. Butter (loved that butter) and many different jams and dark/white chocolate and praliné creams to top.
Also some yougurts and fruit available.

Location:
It is really really close to the train station "Gare du Midi" in Brussels. Also, with a tram line at the end of the street and multiple ones to the train station which is nice as well.
On the other side of the street, more or less at the same distance you got the Metro station (line 2) in a much nicer area.
Area and surroundings. A lot´s been said about this task but the real truth is that the area is 100%safe and we had absolutely no problem with it. I guess many people is concerned about the muslim people living in the neighbourhood. There is a cultural center close to the hotel, where the kids and the older people go. Something like a school or so. I can repeat that there is a safe area anyhow.
Beeing said that, the transports are simply perfect. You can go walking easily to the station and to the center.
The Grand Place is 15-20 min walking. We did it at night several times and it was an easy walk and totally safe.
If you want to take the tram or metro it is 5 min from the center. Bourse stop i think... or gare centrale if you want to get to the gare du midi station.

All in all, a nice place to stay, nice priced and sure we would stayed there again if we go again to Brussels.
;)

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank redivan666
England
Reviewed 20 March 2008

I spent three nights in L'Art de la Fugue and would certainly go back there if I went to Brussels again. I was in the Indochina room which was huge and lovingly furnished and had a large and immaculate bathroom. The room was somewhat gloomy because the walls are painted a dark colour and the drapes cover some of the large windows, but apart from that it was a very nice place to be with a desk to write at (including a proper lamp) and two cosy easy chairs. The hosts were not there that much but were there at the right times, e.g. when I arrived, so that was just fine with me. I had heard many warnings about the area but in the short time that I was there it did not seem particularly sinister, not even at night. On what was practically my last day I discovered that one can in fact walk to the centre from there - it takes a while but you go through all sorts of interesting places on the way.

• Liked — the atmosphere and individuality of the house
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank CarlaCook
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
Park Inn by Radisson Brussels Midi
#16 of 22 in Saint-Gilles
Mercure Brussels Centre Midi
Mercure Brussels Centre Midi
#37 of 199 in Brussels

Been to L'Art de la Fugue? Share your experiences!