Hambro Arms
The Crown Hotel(Blandford Forum)
US$147
The Fiddleford Inn(Sturminster Newton)
US$126
Priceline
The Saxon Inn(Child Okeford)
US$112
TripAdvisor
The Langton Arms(Tarrant Monkton)
US$168
US$151
Travelocity
The Casterbridge(Dorchester)
US$156
US$137
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Wessex Royal Hotel(Dorchester)(Great Value!)
US$157
The Crown Inn(Marnhull)
US$125
US$121
Hotwire.com
Premier Inn Dorchester(Dorchester)(Great Value!)
US$115
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe pubpicturesque villagekings roomadequate storage spaceno mobile phone signalolde worldewonderful pubroast dinnermilton abbeyevening meals arepretty villagebooked a tablereceived a warm welcomestayed here for nightsfantastic weekendyorkshire puddingnight stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was a fantastic stay. The food was great quality, a reasonable price and really well portioned.

I stayed in the Capability room which was full of character, extremely comfortable, had a TV with free view and tea facilities. I slept brilliantly.

The building is beautiful. The setting is picturesque and the staff are superb. They could not have been more friendly and helpful, particularly Mark who was going out of his way to ensure everyone was happy.

The only issue was getting to Milton Abbas itself because there is no train station!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank cem27
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here for 4 days and I can honestly say we didn't want to leave. The location is stunning a proper chocolate box village, all thatched cottages and neat little gardens. The pub is a lovely old building, the floors creek, the doors don't fit properly but it a couple of hundred years old and adds to the charm of the place. The staff are really friendly and helpful and can't do enough for you. We never stayed for an evening meal so couldn't comment on what they were like but the breakfast was good tasty and filling. Lovely local sausages and duck eggs. I would happily stay here again and would recommend it to anyone looking for accommodation around this area.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank bigbear1972
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were send by our B&B to this place. The food is as excellent as the service. Even though a pub the food is well above the usual standard. The menu is a mixture of English tradition and Mediterranean influences. A nice wine list completes the picture. We were so impressed that we came back the next night. Well worth a trip to the beautiful village of Milton Abbas.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We visited here after renting accommodation in the village of Milton Abbas. Our host warned us it was a bit pricey, but we didn't worry too much as we were on holiday.

I wish we'd listened - this turned out to be a pub with ideas above its station I think. My partner had fish and chips which, although she said tasted fine, she added that her fish was "fun-sized", and that she was left hungry still after eating. She's not a massive eater so that's saying something.

I had sausage and mash, which really was, just three sausages and a very small portion of mash. I wasn't that impressed by it on first glances, but I thought I'd best not judge before tasting it.
The sausages were lovely, nicely cooked, and the red wine gravy was also tasty. However, the mash was cold, pureed to within in inch of its life, and there was so little of it I was kind of glad it was cold, so that I could send it back. The replacement was much hotter, and there was more of it, so I ended up enjoying it a bit more, despite the mash having the consistency of baby food.

One bugbear of mine are eateries that insist on charging you a relatively high price (I think our main courses were about £12-13 each) and then you don't even get any veg with your meal for that. In my mind, the least you can do is give a customer a meal that has everything you would expect as part of a main course.

All in, we were pretty unimpressed and felt a bit robbed. The dessert menu had two or three things missing from it that had really taken our fancy, so we cut our losses and went back to our accommodation.

This pub could be great but I think the chef needs to think about what he should be offering for the high prices they're charging. No-one likes the feeling of being taken for a ride.

I should add, the waiter was lovely, very helpful and cheerful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CoffeeLover1176
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were visiting the village on a day out, and decided to have a pub lunch. Sufficient parking. The staff were very polite and the food very good, served promptly. We sat outside as it was a pleasant day, and enjoyed the view of the village. We had our dog with us, dogs are not a problem at all, and the waiter brought out some dog biscuits for her while we ate our lunch. In fact they are permitted in the bar area of the pub. The meals were presented well. The only criticism is they were a little pricey - say £1/£2 more than you would pay elsewhere, but the view outside was lovely and relaxing, so worth every penny. Would definitely stop there again if we are passing through.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple