“Quant little village pub. ”
Review of Hambro Arms

Hambro Arms
Ranked #2 of 3 Milton Abbas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in this lovely little village pub. Chocolate box villages with all the thatched cottages up the main street. The pub was small but had great food. Very high quality local produce. We stayed on the Chambers room which I think was the smaller room in the place. Adequate but a larger one would have been nicer as there was only one other room being used. I would still recommend this pub ask for a bigger room.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stopped off here for a pub lip inch, what a find idyllic location.
The food was really good and the pub decor was lovely.
Can't wait to return and book a room at this great retreat. The village is gorgeous so quaint, a street full of beautiful thatched cottages. There was a wedding taking place while we were there, I can see why this would be a wonderful venue.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked a four day break to the hambro arms last year. I was a little apprehensive as I had seen some bad comments and wasn't sure what to expect. But we couldn't have had a better time! The staff are so lovely, Mark the manager goes above and beyond for his guests, the room was very comfortable, with a lovely choice of breakfast. We devided not to take our daughter with us as she is only small and I had seen bad reviews concerning children, after experiencing the hambro arms myself I would definitely take her. I honestly cannot fault a thing about the hambro arms, yes the food is a tad on the pricey side, and we only dined in once, but the ingredients are superb and we were on holiday so didn't mind splashing out a little. We have booked another four nights away for this July and I cannot wait!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lorna B
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was a fantastic stay. The food was great quality, a reasonable price and really well portioned.

I stayed in the Capability room which was full of character, extremely comfortable, had a TV with free view and tea facilities. I slept brilliantly.

The building is beautiful. The setting is picturesque and the staff are superb. They could not have been more friendly and helpful, particularly Mark who was going out of his way to ensure everyone was happy.

The only issue was getting to Milton Abbas itself because there is no train station!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank cem27
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here for 4 days and I can honestly say we didn't want to leave. The location is stunning a proper chocolate box village, all thatched cottages and neat little gardens. The pub is a lovely old building, the floors creek, the doors don't fit properly but it a couple of hundred years old and adds to the charm of the place. The staff are really friendly and helpful and can't do enough for you. We never stayed for an evening meal so couldn't comment on what they were like but the breakfast was good tasty and filling. Lovely local sausages and duck eggs. I would happily stay here again and would recommend it to anyone looking for accommodation around this area.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank bigbear1972
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were send by our B&B to this place. The food is as excellent as the service. Even though a pub the food is well above the usual standard. The menu is a mixture of English tradition and Mediterranean influences. A nice wine list completes the picture. We were so impressed that we came back the next night. Well worth a trip to the beautiful village of Milton Abbas.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We visited here after renting accommodation in the village of Milton Abbas. Our host warned us it was a bit pricey, but we didn't worry too much as we were on holiday.

I wish we'd listened - this turned out to be a pub with ideas above its station I think. My partner had fish and chips which, although she said tasted fine, she added that her fish was "fun-sized", and that she was left hungry still after eating. She's not a massive eater so that's saying something.

I had sausage and mash, which really was, just three sausages and a very small portion of mash. I wasn't that impressed by it on first glances, but I thought I'd best not judge before tasting it.
The sausages were lovely, nicely cooked, and the red wine gravy was also tasty. However, the mash was cold, pureed to within in inch of its life, and there was so little of it I was kind of glad it was cold, so that I could send it back. The replacement was much hotter, and there was more of it, so I ended up enjoying it a bit more, despite the mash having the consistency of baby food.

One bugbear of mine are eateries that insist on charging you a relatively high price (I think our main courses were about £12-13 each) and then you don't even get any veg with your meal for that. In my mind, the least you can do is give a customer a meal that has everything you would expect as part of a main course.

All in, we were pretty unimpressed and felt a bit robbed. The dessert menu had two or three things missing from it that had really taken our fancy, so we cut our losses and went back to our accommodation.

This pub could be great but I think the chef needs to think about what he should be offering for the high prices they're charging. No-one likes the feeling of being taken for a ride.

I should add, the waiter was lovely, very helpful and cheerful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Poundbury
Luccombe Farm
Luccombe Farm
#1 of 2 in Milton Abbas

Been to Hambro Arms? Share your experiences!