“Very nice food food but hesitant about returning”
Review of Hambro Arms

Hambro Arms
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 May 2014

A friend and I visited this pub in early April on the off chance as we were passing by. The décor of the Inn is lovely and you’ll find the surroundings well kept and in keeping with the period atmosphere. The building itself is old and full of character, much like the street on which it’s located.

Regarding our visit ….this could have just been an off day, but the experience overall was, for us, quite slow and a little lacking in value for money.

We were one of only three couples in the entire pub – it was a quiet night- but despite this, after waiting for no less than 15 minutes after being seated I had to vacate my seat and approach the waiter to ask for our food order to be taken, I had to do the same when asking for the bill as well, which I found rather unnecessary considering the lack of customers present and the price we were going to pay.

The prices here are not the cheapest – which is fine, but the portion sizes we received and the lack of accompaniments certainly made our visit feel rather over priced for what we got. I ordered Sausages and Mash and received what can only be described as a spoonful of gravy and a less than conservative portion of potato. The meal was dry and very unfulfilling as a consequence. My friend ordered Braised Pork, which was well cooked and beautifully presented but came with no gravy at all and no accompanying vegetables apart from a small pile of red cabbage. Again a very small meal.

There were no additional vegetables to accompany the meals that we ordered, and the food we did get served was very small in portion size, so we left feeling hungry and over charged. This combined with the slow service made me feel rather disappointed. We paid the best part of £40 for two mains, one soft drink and one pint of Real Ale, which is not an insignificant bill to foot. But we did not get fantastic value for it.

As I said, this could have been an off day but nevertheless I am hesitant about returning without winning the lottery and having a very casual attitude to perceived meal sizes.

2  Thank Juett77

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Our family of four met up with friends at this pub for lunch on a quiet week day over Easter - the first time we had been there. The children all ordered a basic pasta dish with a cheese sauce which they were happy with and the men ordered egg and chips / club sandwich - pretty basic fare really, not cheap but fine. The two ladies struggled to find anything a bit lighter on the menu so ended up ordering a starter each with a bowl of chips to share (crab cakes / saffron and leek tart). Both meals arrived virtually cold. My tart was something to behold, and so bad I am compelled to write this review (having never before written a review on Trip Advisor). It was a sweet pastry base (which I am sure came out of a packet) filled with a yellow runny sauce mixed with bits of leek. More of the yellow goo was dolloped on top - maybe so you couldn't see what was underneath. Isn't a tart supposed to be at least a little bit set? It tasted like it looked - like a sauce that had come out of a bottle, mixed with a few cooked leeks. It was truly awful. I The manager did take it off our bill, but I am amazed that a pub can serve food of that quality, especially at these prices, and think they will get away with it. If this pub wasn't located in a pretty tourist village I am sure it would not survive! Having said all that, if you just want egg and chips and are prepared to pay over the nose for it - this is your place.

1  Thank Claire W
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Visited early one lunchtime with 3 other couples when very few tables were occupied. Couples ordered individually and food arrived for 3 of the 4 couples within 10 minutes. Reasonable food but small portions for the price. However food for one couple failed to arrive - despite constant re-assurances from staff that it was coming. After 45 minutes the staff tried to blame those on the table for taking it (however each couples order had a numbered spoon), or it must have been given to someone else. They very reluctantly refunded the cost without any real apology.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had the standard room, which is quirky and comfortable, not for large people though! However, everything went wrong at dinner. We ordered steaks and were told we might have a bit of wait. We said we didn't mind, we weren't in a burry. However, 40mn later we were still waiting. When we chased up our order, the waiter to!d us it was just being cooked; they weren't even full! It was almost an hour before we had our food. It was a great disappointment, for £17 a steak, I was expecting something special. The so called hand cut chips were obviously straight from the freezer and pretty anemic with some small chopped mushroom and 4 small grilled tomatoes. I had to send it back as it was pretty rare and I had asked for medium; I couldn't face eating almost raw meat. To be fair, the supervisor was very good about it, and brought back a new steak with better cooked chips and steak. Unfortunately, it wasn't very tender. The breakfast was fine although they serve late, not before 8:30 at weekends and we had planned a long walk and had a long drive home at the end, so were keen to start earlier. We did get 10% off our bill, but that's not enough to make us want to stay there again. It is vastly overpriced for average food; shame as it's a great location.

1  Thank Mika55_9
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The location of the pub is fairly out-of-the-way. The village of Milton Abbas doesn't look like it receives that many visitors. However, for those lucky few who venture there, they are in for a treat. Surrounded by hills, next to a scenic lake, a grand old boarding school and lovely countryside, the village itself is a collection of mostly thatched cottages built in the 1700s. Their beauty, uniformity and placement along the main street would belong in a medieval fantasy movie.

The pub follows the exterior design theme. However, the interior is newly refurbished, matching old features with modern decor. The half of the ground floor with the bar looked as expected, old wooden beams, white plaster, etc.

Service was prompt, friendly and efficient. We went in a large group of 9, and they hastily rearranges tables in the dining room.

Food was traditional English with modern touches, using the finest local ingredients. There is a limited selection of 2 local ales, more than enough for us to try on our two visits.

The restaurant fits somewhere between smart casual and formal dining. We had several young children and they were well catered for.