“Perfect Moules-Frites”

Hambro Arms
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Came across this picture postcard Dorset Pub whilst out on a ramble. Beers great and welcoming staff who let me sample unfamiliar ales. Moules good size ,plump ...perfect wine shallot parsley balance and not over creamed, served with homemade chips and bread delicious.
Evening meal menuu looked very interesting and food locally sourced.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

A beautiful pub/restaurant in a beautiful village with food to match.

I used trip advisor in the past but I was not a member, but the experience was so good I needed to tell people. This really was fine dining at pub prices. The menu was short, which is always a good sign in my experience, but there was plenty of choice with 6 starters, 8 mains and 6 desserts. The quality was superb and the ingredients were obviously fresh. I had the chicken liver parfait while my partner had the beef carpaccio, both of which were excellent. The highlight of the night, was my duck dish which was superb while my partner had a pork belly dish which he enjoyed. The desserts were equally a real treat.

All of this experience was added to by extremely attentive staff. We will definitely be back, next time with friends.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

A friend and I visited this pub in early April on the off chance as we were passing by. The décor of the Inn is lovely and you’ll find the surroundings well kept and in keeping with the period atmosphere. The building itself is old and full of character, much like the street on which it’s located.

Regarding our visit ….this could have just been an off day, but the experience overall was, for us, quite slow and a little lacking in value for money.

We were one of only three couples in the entire pub – it was a quiet night- but despite this, after waiting for no less than 15 minutes after being seated I had to vacate my seat and approach the waiter to ask for our food order to be taken, I had to do the same when asking for the bill as well, which I found rather unnecessary considering the lack of customers present and the price we were going to pay.

The prices here are not the cheapest – which is fine, but the portion sizes we received and the lack of accompaniments certainly made our visit feel rather over priced for what we got. I ordered Sausages and Mash and received what can only be described as a spoonful of gravy and a less than conservative portion of potato. The meal was dry and very unfulfilling as a consequence. My friend ordered Braised Pork, which was well cooked and beautifully presented but came with no gravy at all and no accompanying vegetables apart from a small pile of red cabbage. Again a very small meal.

There were no additional vegetables to accompany the meals that we ordered, and the food we did get served was very small in portion size, so we left feeling hungry and over charged. This combined with the slow service made me feel rather disappointed. We paid the best part of £40 for two mains, one soft drink and one pint of Real Ale, which is not an insignificant bill to foot. But we did not get fantastic value for it.

As I said, this could have been an off day but nevertheless I am hesitant about returning without winning the lottery and having a very casual attitude to perceived meal sizes.

2  Thank Juett77
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Our family of four met up with friends at this pub for lunch on a quiet week day over Easter - the first time we had been there. The children all ordered a basic pasta dish with a cheese sauce which they were happy with and the men ordered egg and chips / club sandwich - pretty basic fare really, not cheap but fine. The two ladies struggled to find anything a bit lighter on the menu so ended up ordering a starter each with a bowl of chips to share (crab cakes / saffron and leek tart). Both meals arrived virtually cold. My tart was something to behold, and so bad I am compelled to write this review (having never before written a review on Trip Advisor). It was a sweet pastry base (which I am sure came out of a packet) filled with a yellow runny sauce mixed with bits of leek. More of the yellow goo was dolloped on top - maybe so you couldn't see what was underneath. Isn't a tart supposed to be at least a little bit set? It tasted like it looked - like a sauce that had come out of a bottle, mixed with a few cooked leeks. It was truly awful. I The manager did take it off our bill, but I am amazed that a pub can serve food of that quality, especially at these prices, and think they will get away with it. If this pub wasn't located in a pretty tourist village I am sure it would not survive! Having said all that, if you just want egg and chips and are prepared to pay over the nose for it - this is your place.

1  Thank Claire W
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Visited early one lunchtime with 3 other couples when very few tables were occupied. Couples ordered individually and food arrived for 3 of the 4 couples within 10 minutes. Reasonable food but small portions for the price. However food for one couple failed to arrive - despite constant re-assurances from staff that it was coming. After 45 minutes the staff tried to blame those on the table for taking it (however each couples order had a numbered spoon), or it must have been given to someone else. They very reluctantly refunded the cost without any real apology.