“nice location, poor service”

Mushroom Beach Bungalows
Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Nusa Lembongan
“nice location, poor service”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

First of all, our reservation couldn't be found. Luckily, we were upgraded to the nice Honeymoon Room. However, it was difficult to get the staff to do their housekeeping there (we had to remind them every day).
The restaurant cannot be recommended at all. Poor service, no organization and the breakfast is not tasty.
The location is splendid, right at the beach and the rooms are nice, too.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I stayed in a bungalow at Mushroom Beach last week. It was clean (on arrival), there was air conditioning, and there was ample space to dump your stuff like spearfishing equipment/surf boards/ snorkeling kits etc.
Its right on the beach and the kitchen food (although can take over an hour to prep) is some of the best that you will eat on the island. Its also the best value for money - hotel next door is double the price for exactly the same set up.

However, what we didnt know was that our room had no hot water and that your room/bathroom it would only be cleaned if you asked them. After 4 days of bringing in sea sand and using damp towels it was a bit gross. They however do not tell you that you should ask them, you've just sort of gotta take the initiative.

Also something that irritated us was that if you pay with a credit card they will charge you an additional 3% (where everyone else on the island will only charge you 2%), however if your mates come to visit you and are not staying at Mushroom Bay the hotel will charge them an additional 5%. Just be aware of these hefty charges because they add up eventually. Come with loads of cash !

The hotel has goggles and flippers which are free to use, but I would advise you bring your own. Lots of mismatched pairs that are broken. Snorkeling / spear fishing right outside is possible. Lots of pretty corals, parrot fish, trigger fish and some squid. Beware however there is a serous rip current and the boats nearby care nothing for safety. If you are spearfishing bring a bouy!

The swell is quite small so its a great place to learn how to surf or just to have fun on a boogie board. Sets are awesome enough to take you to the beach from quite a way out.

We will definitely return. They were friendly and welcoming and happy to make a plan if you suddenly needed something.

Room Tip: Bungalows all face each other and the garden - no sea view. Family rooms/villas all face the sea/ s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tamsin_Mullins
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Set in pretty gardens high on the hill at mushroom beach. Great location. Ok this is where things go down hill. The property has two pools..... Both green and not useable, we had bungalows next to village and they were noisy at night. If you stay here only stay in bungalows closer to beach. Breakfast is pointless don't waste your money. I'll finish on a positive note, as per Indonesian custom staff very helpful and rooms clean.

Room Tip: Please only stay in bungalows closer to beach. Don't waste money on pre paying breakfast (A$20...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Huts are nice, setting and location are good, the place could use some renovations and is a little ran down but globally good value for money, if you don't care about a minimum of service !
My friend found an underwear in his room, and we did not have a proper bedsheet but just a bed cover. When you go to the reception to get information about activities or about the area it seems like you are bothering them. The food was really average (microwave, ants on the plates) , and only one of the cocktails on the menu was available. We met two ladies who were refused service at 8:30pm at the restaurant because it was not busy enough and they wanted to clean up and close !!!! There is no drinking water in the rooms and one evening we found ourselves wandering around the small village to find an open shop that could sell us a bottle of water because no one was to be seen in the hotel, the bar and restaurant were close and no one was at the reception, it was 9pm......
A big generator is located right next to the resort, and our rooms were really close to it. The night we stayed there had been a power outage (frequent in Bali and Lembongan) and the generator ran until 1pm, we could hear it like it was in our room.... Do not choose the first huts when you enter the resort, go as close to the beach as you can.
When we checked out, we explained the situation and complained about our experience but the person we talked to clearly did not care, and did not apologize but tried to find excuses for everything.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank zazou z

Travellers are raving about these Nusa Lembongan hotels

Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I wouldn't be able to comment on the actual hotel because I haven't stayed there. BUT I have used their scubadiving center, which is owned by the same family as the hotel. I have done approx. 120 dives in my life and this dive center had the worst equipement (they absolutely don't take care of it).
Well that is practically nothing compared to the scam of the center. I wanted to do my rescue diving course, which I did. But several weeks after my trip I hadn't received my scuba rescue certification, so I contacted PADI- telling me that my diving teacher hadn't done his certification to teach rescue divers. So I lost 400$ for nothing.
The irony of the whole thing is that they have a huge ''poster'' on their front window saying that they are authorized to give courses.... If the hotel is the same quality as the dive center, don't go there....

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank DIveadvis0r
Sweden
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The huts were basic and nice. But the best part was the beautiful view from the restaurant and closeness to the beach. We loved the small swimming pool area also and just next to the hotell is a "hidden" beach where we baded alone, very nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MasalaMunch
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in January for 2 nights after staying in another hotel the other end of the beach. Mushroom beach was far better value for money. The room was basic but had all you required. There is an infinity pool on the side of the cliff which is gorgeous and quite hidden. We had it to ourselves one day and I'm pretty the other guests didn't know about it.

I ate at the restaurant once and it was ok but nothing special. We ate at Bali Hi next door which was gorgeous.

I'd definitely stay here again but I'd be prepared for the cold shower next time.

• Stayed January 2014