“Most Chilled Place in Bali”
Review of Playgrounds Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nusa Lembongan
Playgrounds Resort
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Nusa Lembongan
London
“Most Chilled Place in Bali”
Reviewed 28 March 2010

My Wife and I just stayed at Nusa Lembongan in one of the Villas. It had the most amazing view over the bay and across to the Bali mainland which is what we woke up to every morning. It had TV with DVD's, Fridge and cooking facilities so we were able to do some cooking ourselves with produce bought in the village which was a great experience.
The resort staff were very friendly and extremely helpful and all spoke good English. The bar was well stocked and the restaurant down in front of the resort was good value and good food which was handy.
The resort was only a few minutes walk down into the village which is a great experience especially at sunset.
Best of all, the resort is right in front of Playgrounds surf break. It was only a short paddle out there and you can watch the surf from the comforts of the pool. There is also a boat service in front of the resort for transfers to the further surfing reefs or for a cheap afternoon snorkeling which i highly recommend.
My wife and I will definitely be going back there and have already recommended my brother to go who has booked for June.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trimandglide

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Playgrounds is the place to be if your travelling to nusa L. The hospitality is that you recieve from the owners of the resort is extraordinary. Chris and minjarah made us feel like we never left our home in calif. Along with that the staff is Just as caring.

The resort has clean rooms and the best view money can buy. I would know since I live on the beach in calif.

You may find yourself sipping cold bintangs and talking story with chris and Minjarrah. Be careful because the next thing you know your going on a island tour with then for more beer and killer pizza at the local restraint.

We will be back in dec for our honeymoon

Love playgrounds!!!!!!
Scott and Nicole

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank Surfingscott
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2010

My partner and I booked one of the villa's in Playgrounds resort on the belief that we were booking a villa within a hotel complex, like we booked the Royal Pita Maha in Ubud. But don't be fooled by the website, it is a villa like you would rent from a holiday lettings company and the bar on the front of the small complex is simply there to provide you with a key.

When we arrived on the island we were met by the two bar staff Playgrounds Resort employ, who helped us with our luggage and directed us to the complex and took us up to the villa. Which I have to commend Playgrounds resort for, as the weather was so hot that day, possibly 40 degrees or more! Sadly we were pestered most of the way by Captain Nemo's little friend about a snorkeling trip, but more about him later!

We were shown to Villa Chantique, which looked very nice inside, however as you looked down from the infinity plunge pool to see a bunch of workmen digging the next hole for the foundations of the next villa to be built, along with the hotel next door circular sawing and banging and knocking to build a villa right next door, and they could see in as the blinds had gaps inbetween the next wooden slat, we began to think we had made a huge mistake. Along with the fact that you could lock the door, but it was pretty pointless as if someone wanted to get in, they could simply climb up the side of the bedroom and hop in. Once we went down to the bar to complain as this was supposed to be a relaxing break, Koman (the guy left with the responsibility) was fantastic and moved us up to villa Minjarrah, away from the noise.

However, villa Minjarrah smelt musty and the lock on the double doors didn't work. Koman fixed the busted lock, but because it smelt so musty we decided that we would stay in the room adjacent of what we thought was a two bed villa. We didn't know that the room adjacent was actually a different villa, advertised as villa Coco on the website, which we only realised at the end of our stay when they were totalling the bill for both of the villas. So please don't let the website fool you about this either. There is nothing to separate the two villa's, and I just find it weird how they can show the rooms as individual villas on the website. It's just cheeky!

Although towels were provided, I used my own beach towel as I mistakenly used one of the ones provided and it smelt awful. I don't know if it's because of the water supply on the island or not, but I didn't make that mistake twice! The room didn't feel like it was finished, the bed linen smelt stale and all in all I was not impressed.

They did provide a fantastic fridge full of cold drinks and ice cubes, but as we weren't aware of what water had been used to make the ice cubes, we didn't use them.

The villa has a small kitchen too but we didn't use it as we ate out at both Reef and Ware Ware, plus the cooker looked like it needed a good clean, along with the shelving units and crockery!

The pool was quite big and would have been nice if the pump worked to get all the dead bugs out, as there were always bits of stuff floating at the top, and the excessive chlorine damaged my husband's swimming shorts, luckily I took a white swimming costume! You are provided with a pool cleaning rod to scoop the bugs out which we did, but you can't always get them all.

Also, the website doesn't mention that the island is subject to an electricity rota. If it's the island's turn to have electricity you will have it, but if not take a torch and candles. I would contact the website to find out as they are provided with a schedule. Also, I wouldn't bother taking a hair dryer either because if there's no electricty supply you can't use it.

Going back to Captain Nemo and his little annoying friend! What ever you do, do not show him any interest in a snorkeling tour! All he did for the two days we were there was pester us, everytime we left the villa to go to the beach, or to go for food! The guys behind the bar were recommending him too, but he's a rip off merchant saying that he would charge 500,000 rupiahs for the two of us, which was £40 at the time and he would take you round the other side of the island which has very strong currents so much so Scoot the reputible tour company suggested this was a bad idea and wouldn't take us. Scoot do a tour to the mangrove point for 300,000 rupiahs for two, or even the guy on the beach would take you for 250,000 rupiahs in a traditional boat! What really broke the straw on the camels back is that Captain Nemo's friend followed by captain Nemo actually came all the way up to the villa uninvited! As you can imagine we were furious, and would suggest that playgrounds invests in a secure gate on the front of the complex to prevent this from happening! I could have been taking a shower, or walking around in my underwear! We told them to leave and that we were definitely not taking a tour with them. But as you can appreciate it was really unsettling as you don't know what strangers are capable of and slept with all doors locked and with one eye open that night!

I have to commend both Koman and Hendrick who are lovely guys, who work at the Playgrounds resort bar, they were fantastic and we learnt a lot about Balinese culture from them whilst supping cocktails.

All in all we had a disappointing time in the villa and would not recommend anyone booked to stay here until all building works have been carried out and a security gate is added to the front of the resort. Personally I would choose one of the hotels on the island, Coconut Beach looked pretty nice!

Please feel free to contact me if you would like any further information about the island or the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VikkiVaughanW
Perth
Reviewed 22 January 2010

My husband and I spent three nights at Playgrounds and it was the highlight of our trip to Bali. The villa was lovely, with the most stunning views I've evr seen, and the atmosphere was so relaxing and friendly. The only problem was that we couldn't stay longer!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Aussie
Reviewed 11 January 2010

We stayed one night in the standard double room with fan for $75US it had absolutely beautiful views but rarely had power so the fan had no point and there were no facilities (no bar fridge, tv). No free bottled drinking water in rooms - you expect this at the least when your paying so much in Bali and every other cheap hotel has it!! The bathroom had a window with no curtain so anyone going down the stairs accessing the resort had full view of your top half when your showering - not good for women. The shower has no curtain so your showering next to the toilet and water goes everywhere. The pool was disgusting and dirty/mirky. There was no food available. We then stayed two nights in the so called luxury Serene Vila - very expensive. It was pretty and had nice views but again NO aircon only fans and the power was never on so no point having fans! The whole balcony/front of vila is open with no windows or flyscreen and the first night we were invaded by flying ants/bugs and had to sit in the dark. We couldnt even light candles for the bugs were going mental. On the final day there was no cold water to shower in only scolding hot water which is horrible when its 35 and humid! So much more bad stuff but this was the main important things I wanted people to know.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple