“Surprisingly Good Place to Stay”
Review of Dream Beach Huts

Dream Beach Huts
Wellington, New Zealand
“Surprisingly Good Place to Stay”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I was a bit apprehensive about staying here after reading some of the reviews. I needn't have worried. It was brilliant!!
The huts aren't the flashest but they are perfectly adequate for the job. I just LOVED the shower in the outdoor bathroom.
The food was very tasty and the service was wonderful. The staff here were good fun and very happy to have a chat and give lots of information.
Don't be expecting the Ritz and you will have a great time here.
The beach is gorgeous btw.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ballina, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Came here for sunset dinner... No sunset. Can not be seen from this angel. Meal were ok. Nothing special but nice. Cocktails were great. Pick up and delivery which was great. Better suited as lunch maybe or day spent here. Devils corner very close.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Adelaide
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Before we went to Bali to a flash resort we stayed at Dream Beach Huts for two nights. I'm not sure why people write that the staff were inattentive, we had great staff, I believe if you have a good attitude and a nice smile, that's what you'll get in return! We definitely had no problems, infact, we loved the staff! The food is also just fine, not restaurant quality but good food! We had no problems with the food at all. We stayed in the Family Beach Huts and really enjoyed hearing the waves crashing at night, a nice touch to the end of a relaxing day swimming. The beach was lovely too, I didn't go in but plenty of people did,I would watch little ones with the waves, but it seemed like plenty of people were enjoying the water. The pools were just divine, it felt luxurious to laze about the infinity pool while enjoying a bintang or a cocktail. Yes, the huts are basic, just beds, and not much else, but what else do you want? Our family really enjoyed the serenity of Dream Beach Huts, and hope to return one day to see the new restaurant which was being built while we were staying there. I also loved all the lights in the garden, serene. Thanks to all at Dream Beach Huts! I would say to people, if you want resort style, this isn't for you, but getting back to basics and enjoying the gorgeous surroundings makes the salt water cold shower worth it! A rubbish bin in the huts would be the only thing I would say to management that the huts need.

Room Tip: You may as well stay in a beach side hut, make the most of it!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 March 2014

For about $70 USD per night for a non-ocean view bungalow, Dream Beach Huts isn't worth it. It is the only game in town on this part of the island, so it's the perfect example of the complacency, indifference to customer service, and price gouging facilitated by a monopolistic environment.

PROs:
+ Mosquito net (but this is pretty standard on the island)
+ A/C
+ free iced drink upon arrival
+ free scooter transfer back to Mushroom Beach upon checkout
+ isolated beach that's not very crowded and far from everything - IF that's all you're looking for. It's a bit of a drive to get down to the dive shops and other activities, if you want to do anything more than hang out on the beach / by the pool.

CONs:
- I made my reservation in person in the morning, and when I returned that afternoon to check in, they didn't have my reservation and the receptionist was indifferent and slow to figure it out. I had to tell him to check in the booklet of sign-in forms, which is carbon copied, but they keep both copies, so I didn't have my copy to show them. Eventually, it got sorted out, but the service and attitude was terrible.
- Wifi is not available in the rooms, and in the restaurant / waiting area, it's painfully slow. It took me hours to book another hotel online (yes, I left as soon as I could), and one whole day (i.e., half the time I was there) the internet didn't work at all. No one seemed to care to fix it.
- Cold, salt water shower (which is ridiculous since you can get a place with hot, fresh water showers for $50 USD per night at Mushroom Beach)
- And since you can't drink the tap water, they charge you 5000 rupiah to fill a bottle from their water cooler (or you can buy the more expensive pre-packaged bottled water). Compare this to the $27 USD per night guesthouse in Ubud where you got free water (bottled AND water cooler), and the owner would often give me free lifts around town.
- My room wasn't cleaned every day. (There is a sign saying they won't replace your towel every day, but I didn't realize this also meant they won't clean the room in general.) This also meant that the free bottled water provided in each room was not replenished, which forces you to buy water from them (see above). This is normally not too much of an issue, but at this price point, drinking water should be included.
- At check out, they charged some food to my tab that I never ordered. Whether it's incompetence or grift, I don't know, but when I run a tab on a room, I keep track of what I order each day, and I recommend you do the same.
- Shampoo is not provided, and since it's far from everything, there's nowhere convenient to buy some.
- Final minor example of the thoughtless service: they don't bring napkins with your drinks.

Room Tip: The upgrade to an ocean view is not worth it unless you spend a lot of time in your room looking out...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank D C

Travellers are raving about these Nusa Lembongan hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Dream beach huts is in such a beautiful spot - the outlook from the pool is to die for and its a short walk to the key hole. We stayed in the family rooms which were two separate apartments with an adjoining room so our two kids (7 & 9) had their own room and bathroom which they thought was fantastic. The outdoor bathrooms are very basic with cold brackish water coming from the showers but it was so hot, the cold water was a relief, It would have been nice if it was fresh not salty. The rooms were basic and the linen pretty old. I wouldn't recommend eating at the restaurant here as its expensive (comparatively) and not very nice. The staff are very un-attentive but that didn't bother us. The pool was fantastic and the beach just below was lots of fun (careful of the pretty full on rips though) I would recommend having a massage on the beach.....very blissful. If your not expecting 5 Star resort and don't have high expectations of the staff, you will probably enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: family rooms were brilliant, 2 rooms with an internal adjoining room and big front porch.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jodie b
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed in Dream Beach Hut for one night in February.

We stayed in the garden view huts. The shower is open air and only saltwater. The rooms has a strong musty smell which I can't stand. Sheets are stained and old.

Service was terrible especially the unfriendly receptionist, no greetings no smile. Always seem impatient in answering our questions. Towel will only be changed if you bring your used towel to the reception. Safe deposit box is also located at the reception. Breakfast was just alright nothing to shout about.

The hotel is a little far from everything. You will need a scooter to get around the Island. Scooter can be rented from the hotel for 70K Rupiah.

The best part of the hotel is the infinity pool and the private beach. I can't tell you how much I love the pool. It's a two tier infinity pool overlooking the sea. The waves from the ocean are pretty huge that I don't think it's advisable to swim. The beach is a private beach of the resort and it's clean. The sea is crystal clear with different hues of blue. Absolutely stunning.

I will only recommend this hotel for the gorgeous view and nothing else.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sherryalexis
Collingwood, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We spent four nights at Dream Beach Huts in one of the family bungalows. It was perfect for our family of four and my mom to share:) Super view of the beach! The hotel was really comfortable and had a beautiful pool, lovely and private beach (good for kids 8+) and good food. The staff are always there to get you a drink or meal and have great patience with large groups and kids. Happy hour every night to enjoy so you don't have to leave. The location is on the far side of the island so it definitely helps if you can rent scooters as the island transport is not always available. It is possible to walk to another great place for dinner (Sandy Bay Resort) from here by food which makes a great outing.

Room Tip: The family huts are great for large groups and have the best placement! They have a room both upstai...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family