“Tranquil this place is NOT!”

Kampung Sampireun Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Garut
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Approximately 2 hours after we arrive a group of 20-30 people (who paid group rate of 1/10 of the price of regular room price) arrived and immediately yelled out to each other from the different cabins across the pond. Also, there are a LOT of mosques and they broadcast prayers at slightly different times 5 times a day. Buffets options for food sparse. Muslims in this area of Indonesia, alcohols therefore not available within the hotel, They play loud music until late (think spring break Tijuana style). It was not quite like anything we expected.

Stayed: November 2013
10  Thank GrowCookEatSF
There are newer reviews for Kampung Sampireun Resort & Spa

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Well, Actually we went to Sampireun in 2008, and our November 2012 visit was cancelled due to some unforeseen circumstances when we were in Bandung.

We happen to get a Lake-view room, upgraded ones at that time, those with timber flooring. It was an enjoyable stay, and we would like to come back anytime.

Staying in Sampireun for a couple of days is a good retreat to get out of this hectic world. hope we can come back anytime soon.

Room Tip: Choose the room facing the lake, this will be more enjoyable than those garden view
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Teds19
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Remote, quiet, romantic place. It is 2 hours drive from Bandung, the location is 20 minutes from Garut city. The cottage is floated with the lake underneath. The room rate is a little bit expensive but worth the atmosphere. We tried the dinner at restaurant, they served simple buffet and perform some traditional dance and music during the evening time. Unfortunately the buffet is standard ( some fried chicken, cap cay, fruit slice, caramel pudding), we were expecting something more traditional and exotic so it can fit with the nuance.

Room Tip: Choose the room located by the lake
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ssijuve
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Kampung Sampireun looked very beautiful and amazing. It was indeed. The lake looked beautiful, has good concepts..use boat to reach the room, eventhough there're land track.. Rooms are good, half open air bath room concept..and the sekoteng at night, serabi in the morning and floating band but only weekend...

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Nadia A
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My wife took me there as a birthday weekend, it is at the top of hotel price ranges, but frankly the facilities are very lacking. We arrived on a Friday and were given a fairly nice room on the lake (room 102), the style is "kampung" which is simple village style, a lttle romantic added. Take into account the were are talking over 250 USD per night, there is no fridge, no hairdryer, no safe. OK its suppose to be a relaxing get away, and it was until on Saturday we were asked to move to a much more shabby room (room 120), and a bus arrived with a company group from Jakarta. Sorry but you are either high price retreat or your are noisy weekend getaway, but you cant be both. Service freindly and good, no complaints there, the surroundings are way to small, you can walk arround the lake in five minutes and that is the end of the entertainment. I can't imagine many people going back.

Room Tip: make sure you are on the lake.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank deaninkl
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My friends and I visited Kampung Sampireun because of its advertisement. On the TV, the resort looked very beautiful and amazing. It was indeed. The lake looked beautiful, the fountain looked good, the spa looked amazing.

Unfortunately, the staffs were not that friendly. Since we visited Garut as backpackers, we went to the resort by public transportation. From the road, we walked to the resort front gate. The security said that we were NOT ALLOWED to enter the resort since it was not recreational spot. Maybe, our flip flops say that we don't have enough money to stay there.

For wedding, this resort is great. As a getaway, this resort may be perfect. For backpackers, it's not a recommended one :))

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
40  Thank LubisBee
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I have to admit, I am not quite an adventurer. This hotel might be very attractive for the young and adventurist, I found it all a very disappointing experience for a hotel that is supposed to be the best around Garut, West Java. To be honest you are quite pleasantly surprised if you arrive: the reception is nice and the view of the lake immediately attracts the attention. I was staying in a “lake” room (villa is really too much to say). You are being brought to the room (which is a floating house basically, resembling a “woonboot” as you have them in Amsterdam canals) by boat, quite a nice experience, given the natural surroundings and lovely nature. However that being said, the remainder of the stay was quite different and flat out unattractive. The room basically consists of a dark brown interior, with a couch and a table (the couch not for a sit of over 5 minutes), a bedroom with a bed with dark brown pillows and a very strange way of making up the bed: first a sheet over the mattress then a blanket and then on top of the blanket a sheet (rather than the usual way sheet-sheet-blanket). I called the front desk who were quick in sending someone who did it wrong three times (I guess I did not explain it correctly). The room has no airco. Some say because the evenings can be rather chilly, you wouldn’t need it. Well the rooms remain pretty hot, so an option is to open the windows. However as the room basically is a floating boat surrounded by water, that would be an open invitation for mosquitos to come in.

If you are like me sensitive to light better go to bed early and get out very early as the light will come in as the textiles before the window are hardly covering the many windows. The hotel restaurant was flat out bad, a fish that was grilled so long that it almost dried up, vegetables that had absolutely no taste and….an empty restaurant at 8 pm on a Tuesday evening, not your idea of a memorable stay. As I went there in rainy season, it rained basically the whole night, the raindrops clattered on the roof. You have to be a deep sleeper. And the tendency of Javans to be loud well I had my share of shouting and noise, as the room have "paper" walls. And that in a resort where you expect to get all quiet and serenity.

An then the price: the price they ask is ridiculous for a venture like this. I managed to get a discount but its still pricey, especially for what you get.
All in all, I am sorry to say that this is a no go for me. It perfectly fits in the area: I did really my best to see something really interesting in Garut. I got a small booklet of the local Tourist office which would lead me to a hot spring and crater (after numerous people gave me wrong directions, or simply had no idea what their place had to offer to foreign visitors, so my driver basically spend the whole afternoon driving around), it turned out that the spot that was recommended in the leaflet, was “forbidden” territory, as it was owned by Chevron. All in all a wasted day, hope my next stop, in Jogjakarta, is a more memorable one.

Room Tip: I stayd in a lake room, so if you decide to come, ask for 104, a lake view room
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo