“Stay away!!!”
Review of Bay Hotel

Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kinghorn
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My daughter & partner stayed for one night. They said from arrival that the staff were unhelpful & rude & that they got the feeling that they did'nt want to be there!! This was a treat for my daughter as she had a baby recently & we thought it would be a nice surprise for her. Well she was extremely disappointed & said it was one of the worst hotels she had ever been in. Apart from a nice room there did'nt appear to be any more positive comments.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lesboEastCoast
There are newer reviews for Bay Hotel

Reviewed 19 September 2013

I attended a conference in the hotel. The purpose of the conference was to provide networking opportunities for the participants. I expected to be able to use my tablet, which works with Wi-Fi connection. When I tried to connect I found that even in the hotel's public areas it is protected by a password. I assumed the reception will provide me with the password (many restaurants have that system, for example). The receptionist asked me for £4! I pointed out that this is an unreasonable charge, especially when the hotel markets itself as a conference venue. I asked to speak with the manager, but when the manager arrived, she just politely stonewalled me.
This is a silly and self-defeating policy, as it is only likely to attract bad reviews and put off potential customers.
On the way back from the conference I stopped in ASDA and even ASDA were advertising FREE Wi-Fi for their customers (and who goes to the supermarket to surf the net?).
Poor show, Bay Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Zhoro1
Catherine C, General Manager at Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

We are sorry that this was a disappoinment to you but Wifi is only included for conferences when this has been requested. We hope it will not deter you from future visits.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed here in Jan 2013 and I have been meaning to leave a review since then, we upgraded to the Bridal suite after using a Groupon voucher we were given as a present.
The receptionist was lovely and had pre heated our original room so it was lovely and cozy but we choose to upgrade and after putting the heating on for 10 mins it sorted the room out. The rooms were lovely with an amazing view. we ate at the restaurant and my meal was disappointing (Im vegetarian and there was only one option) but my husband said his was very good and it looked amazing.
The breakfast was very good though and made up for the meal before.
we were prewarned about the security deposit and it was refunded straight away.

Room Tip: upgrade to a seaview room
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WorldTraveller255185
Reviewed 22 August 2013

If you are contemplating staying here.......DON'T!

This hotel is beyond terrible,it was painfully obvious they don't know how to run a hotel. First impressions,it's on a caravan park,great big ugly green static vans. Young receptionist on duty however was very pleasant,welcoming. She showed us to our room,explaining the key system,directed to restaurant and bar,all usual details breakfast times etc. Overall check in was perfect,it was from here it went downhill.

The room which was advertised with a view,had been thrown on the side of the building with a balcony,that was obviously put there are so you had to go out on here for your view! However,hardly a balcony when it has stairs to one side that anyone can come running up,as we surely discovered! Our room also had some awful smell about it,that even leaving our window open constantly could not diffuse. The cleanliness of the room wasn't bad,however smears on mirror and tv from cleaning cloths....totally noticeable,no one could have missed these. Them or the bits on the carpet that it clearly had only had a very quick run over with a vacuum.
Unbelievably,this place nit only are the room prices through the roof for the quality of room you get....they have the cheek to charge 8quid for WiFi,yes that's right 8quid.....which needless to say didn't even get a signal in our room!

Furthermore,when we decided to have dinner in the restaurant,it started off reasonably well. Then some bloke that was hobbling about seemed to just bark orders at everyone which you could hear from miles away and then he'd disappear again. The volume at which he bellowed was certainly not professional or adding to any kind of pleasant atmosphere. Then there was an older lady ho didn't seem to have a clue what was going on who stayed behind the bar all the time looking quite lost and getting herself in a chaotic whirlwind over a few checks! Again professional was not a word I would describe for this woman ho must have been in her 60s at least!besides all this though our food was ok....apart from the steak was a little over how we had requested,but still decent enough with a tasty enough sauce.

The next morning,breakfast was standard,not a lot to say. However we were surprised to have a housekeeper knocking at our door when it was not even 11 yet, trying to get in our room to clean. Feeling a little rushed out the door then. Although our check out was great,again reception very pleasant,wishing us a nice day and to enjoy the rest of our trip.
Overall,impression was that the only people who had a clue what they were doing we're the reception staff down at the hotel! I would recommend that those lovely pleasant girls find themselves jobs elsewhere and escape hotel hell. Maybe get Gordon Ramsay on the case of this place!
Will NOT be returning!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Grace W
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I'm quite surprised by the number of poor reviews here, I stated for one night to attend a function in the hotel and found it very good.
The hotel is modern, completed in 2008 and is constructed to a high standard, with stunning views over the Firth of Forth to Edinburgh. OK, to the back there is a static caravan site, but it's very neat and tidy and any criticism of the hotel on these grounds seems to me to be purely down to snobbery!
We had a room at the back with no view, but it was at a good, fair price for the function, so that was fine. The room itself was great, fine, comfy bed, nice bathroom and anything else you could want including an iron, trouser press, hairdryer and fridge (not a minibar for some reason). My only crticism of the room was the lack of free wi fi access.
Breakfast was fine, usual help yourself to cereal etc and then they take your order for cooked stuff. I've seen more comprehensive buffets (for example, there was no loose muesli or yogurt) but it was fine. The cooked items were very good (though no veggie option) and I would have preferred mine to have been a little hotter.
A special mention should go to the staff, who were all very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The views to front are stunning but you will obviously pay more for them.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Stayed here for one night on business and have to say first impressions were ok. The hotel is pleasing on the eye and the setting is great EXCEPT

It's on a caravan park, right on it.

The young receptionist was crabbit beyond belief. Didn't even tell me where my room was and when I asked you'd have thought I was asking for a loan of money. Didn't tell me I needed my card to open corridor doors, didn't tell me where the bar or restaurant was and when I asked sighed her response. Get a grip dear if it wasn't for me and other guests you wouldn't have a job.

The room was lovely, premium room with an awesome sea view. Bed was comfy and room was clean. Credit where credit's due.

The bar and restaurant is poor, the prices are on the expensive side of expensive and the food is chronic. Couldn't cook the steak right and couldn't even pour the wine, or clean the manky overpriced bottle. Breakfast was ok but still cheap quality.

This place is not cheap and basically not worth it unless you get a right good deal and take a picnic

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Graeme2701
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Just returned from a one night break. We had a few drinks in the Waterfront lounge,just above the swimming pool. Although the weather is warm,the bar area is very warm and uncomfortable. The hotel benefits from air conditioning and it's a shame something can't be done here. On arrival, we were informed an extra £100.00 would be taken from our card to cover other expenses and anything not used would be refunded onto the card at the end of our stay. Although this is handy if you are eating in the hotel, it would be nice to be forewarned as we didn't expect this and it does seem a lot when you are paying upfront for your room. The television is pay tv so this can add money on aswell. On the positive side, our room was fresh and clean and to a high standard with stunning views over the river Forth. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and the food in the restaurant very well presented and delicious. I would say the restaurant is lovely as it offers beautiful views also. The hotel has some good facilities, swimming pool,sauna etc. I do think the hotel needs to inform their customers at the time of booking about the extra debit on the card as this might make some people uncomfortable and therefore affect their enjoyment of their stay which is a shame.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms on the first floor with the balcony for the greatest view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinghorn
Kingswood Hotel
The Dean Park Hotel
The Dean Park Hotel
#1 of 5 in Kirkcaldy
Best Western Plus Keavil House Hotel

Been to Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!