“Very disappointing meal”

Cuisines: Brazilian, Portuguese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Hard to know where to begin! Service was terrible - after an hour and ten minutes only one of the two starters ordered had been served. The other never was! Main courses were very average - my fish and chips were not hot and the first white ordered was served unchilled. Extremely disappointing meal and would not eat at this restaurant again.

5  Thank Ian P

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I had an awful meal here back in 2012. I ordered a prawn cocktail for starters. You don't need to put much in a prawn cocktail. Marie Rose sauce, bit of crisp lettuce maybe. This one had silverskin onions in it - very off putting. For her main course my wife ordered a crab salad. This is a seafood restaurant isn't it? We might have expected a nice dressed crab with some nice chunky bread and fresh salad. Oh no. There was a pile of crab meat in the middle of the plate surrounded by amongst other things a heap of tinned chick-peas. I think everything came out of a tin! Plus the cheapest sliced brown bread. At the end of the meal the owner or head waitress was quite indignant when we pointed out how disappointed we were - "some people like chick peas".
Go to the Jolly Fisherman. Or the Cottage Inn. Or The Greys Inn in Embleton.

11  Thank Andrew D
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Had a meal here whilst on holiday in the area. This was the best meal we had eaten all week, the food was full of flavour and was obviously fresh and home coooked. The fishcakes in particular were the best I have ever had. The staff were warm and welcoming and the location was excellent. When we return to the area we will certainly make a detour and eat here again.

2  Thank johno71
Reviewed 31 July 2014

On the opposite side of the road to the over hyped Jolly Fisherman that is simply a bun fight at lunchtime. This doesn't have the outdoor tables like their neighbour but is immaculately clean, the food is delicious & the staff are just lovely. An oasis of tranquility in the busy summer tourist season. Recommended!!

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

First time in Craster so was unsure where to eat. It was a toss up between here or the jolly fisherman. There was nothing wrong with the food it's self, in fact it was the best scampi I've ever had, but it was very over priced, especially for the size portions you got. There was no childrens menu, so my daughter had to make do. The waitress was friendly and helpful, views are stunning, but due to the price and lack of a suitable childrens menu, I don't think I'd return.

3  Thank Northerngirl0909