Dona Filipa Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Hotel Zodiaco(Quarteira)
View Hotel
Ria Plaza Resort(Quinta do Lago)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Atismar(Quarteira)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssan lorenzo golf courserefurbished roomgolf tripgolfers stayinggolfing friendsgreen feesegg stationmajor refurbishmentgolf hotelgreat golfplaying golfpremium roomstar standardan upgradevisited this hotellovely hotellovely beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 March 2014

There has been numerous comments on the renovation currently being undertaken at this hotel and it would appear this will be ongoing for some time. However, from a personal point of view, I was out all day golfing so this disruption did not have much of an effect on my enjoyment of the hotel. The drilling generally started about 9.30am when most guests will have been up for breakfast.
As compensation, a free buffet lunch was served at San Lorenzo golf club, which was very nice indeed. It was a three lunch with plenty of choice and all food was fresh. You have to pay for any drinks but this is expected.
The staff at the hotel were very helpful including the nice touch of a complimentary drink on arrival. The rooms were a good size and well equipped with everything you need, although I would not say the décor or furniture is what I would expect in a five star hotel. The only meal I had was breakfast and there was a good selection, once again everything being fresh. The chef was excellent at cooking omelettes to your taste and I could not fault the service.
Needless to say the hotel will benefit from the renovations but do not be put off as you have to appreciate the staff do everything within their power to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a golf course view.
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have been coming to Dona Fillipa for the last 20 years with my family and friends. I love the hotel and the staff, not to mentions San Lorenzo Golf Course. My last visit was last week with some golfing pals. We had a great time. I knew the hotel was under renovation before I went. The renovation did not spoil my week because the staff did everything they could to compensate for the work going on. Except I was given room 424 which was directly over the drilling that was going on. This did not affect me much of the time as I was golfing during the day. However when I returned to my room I found I could not open my balcony door because of the clouds of dust that greeted me. Also I could not rest because the work carried on till 6.00pm. After a couple of days I requested they stop at 4.00pm which they complied with.
As the week went on, I noticed that the hotel was not fully occupied, so I asked the manager, if the hotel was not full why did you put me in a room directly over the place where the drilling was going on. His reply was that they do not allocate rooms on day of arrival they allocate rooms at time of booking and that quieter rooms that were empty were probably allocated to someone that would be arriving later that week. I did not like his reply because I think at times of major work on a hotel, the hotel should be more flexible with their systems and try to juggle rooms better. He did apologise and offered to move me but as I only had one day left I declined. He also offered to send me some champagne which I also declined.
This will not stop me returning to the hotel when the renovation is finished as I am sure it will be an even better hotel. I just feel I was the unlucky one to have been placed in room 424.

Room Tip: Check that you are not directly above the area that is being renovated at the moment.
2  Thank 7will7
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed here for 4 days at end of February with 3 other golfers and had a great time. Yes there is a major refurbishment going on but 3 nights, 4 rounds at San Lorenzo, breakfast and lunch, car hire and flights for only £500 was great value. San Lorenzo is a top track with green fees normally 180 euros so to get to play 4 times included in the price was the main reason we chose to stay at Dona Filipa. Staff were exceptionally helpful, room was great, shower very good especially after 18 holes of golf. Breakfast at the hotel was buffet style with an egg station and was a great way to start the day. Lunch at the golf course was also buffet style with plenty of choice for all 3 courses. In the evenings we ate at Monty's which is a two minute walk for the hotel, where we could also watch live rugby and all sky sports channels. For what 4 avid golfers wanted this was a fantastic trip and we were lucky enough to play in shorts and polo shirts, a welcome break from our wet winter.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Just got back from staying at the Dona Filipa, my advice is not to entertain staying until the so called renovations are complete which has to be months away the speed its going at. On arrival a circular is in the room suggesting the work will be finished by 16th March (this has got to be some sort of joke) we saw no finished room even though we asked to view one, reception has been relocated into a tiny room to the left hand side of the building, the east wing has huge holes in the outside walls, the "internal garden area" is a workshop and off limits. The allocated rooms are exactly the same as they were 20 years ago apart from a lick of paint, no tea or coffee making no sky TV same impossible to operate patio doors and they have the audacity to label this a five star hotel. Mnay of the staff are the same ones that have been there for years and its most unfair for them to have to cope with this sort of upheaval and still do a great job under extreme circumstances I think my "review" has said enough now, I could go on though.

Room Tip: Not sure there is one
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed at the hotel whilst renovations were underway. We would not recommend that anyone expecting a 5 star hotel stays there whilst this work is being done.
The hotel lobby was closed so there was no access to the hotel from the car park. The only functioning entrance was via an external staircase to the grill restaurant. This is also not convenient for the rooms which are then accessed via the emergency exit staircase after negotiating further stairs and corridors. To our knowledge there were no useful lifts which meant that golf clubs and trolley batteries had to be transported long distances up and down stairs before and after each round of golf.
There were limited restaurant facilities too. In fact, one evening the only dinner available in the hotel was a valentines special in a small room which was fully booked, so we were forced to go and eat elsewhere. Not what we expect from a 5 star hotel.
The hotel offers a lunch at the golf club to make up for the inconvenience. The lunch is served buffet style, choices were very limited and had been out for some time. We opted for coffee with our lunch and this was charged, surely one basic drink should have been included!
The hotel advertises free wifi. This was done by means of a ticket with a code which had to be resubmitted every 10 to 15 minutes. This was very frustrating and inconvenient.
The hotel staff were very good and were working very hard to try to make up for the inconvenience of the renovations, but it is our opinion that the management should have closed the hotel at least whilst the lobby is being done.
There are a number of pictures of the new rooms in reception. To our knowledge these rooms are not yet available, so it really felt like our noses were being rubbed in it.
We are not in the habit of writing poor reviews but we feel very strongly that anyone wanting a good hotel in the Algarve should go elsewhere until the renovations are guaranteed to be finished. This is not likely to be soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank malcolm j
JJW_Hotels_Portugal, General Manager at Dona Filipa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on Tripadvisor, even though the feedback reported was not the most positive. Your review and reservation process were analyzed and we would to like be able to comment and answer all the points reported by you.

It is indeed of public knowledge that Dona Filipa Hotel is currently undergoing a major refurbishment/investment plan, and even though very well planned for, it may sometimes affect some guests such as yourself.

Regarding your comments of the lobby and access to the rooms, we would like to clarify that the temporary Hotel entrance is currently the main external entrance of the Dom Duarte grill Restaurant (having been chosen to be the most adequate and direct access for guests entering the Hotel); to where the room access is concerned: the emergency staircase you have mentioned is the Hotel’s main staircase (to note that all emergency exit staircases of the Hotel are external to the building); further to this, all rooms effectively have elevator access via the corridor of the third floor (corresponding to the ground floor of the Hotel). Unfortunately, you mention that you had to carry your golf bags to your room, however, we are still operating our individual golf lockers at the entrance of our conference rooms, as well as using a temporary facility (located in front of the temporary lobby) to conveniently accommodate all our golfer guests bags and equipment; our porters, always very prompt to assist in carrying and storing luggage and golf bags.

We would like to confirm that none of the restaurant facilities have been affected by the refurbishments, and both our restaurants are open and functioning normally. The “small room” operating for Valentines evening, was the Dom Duarte Grill Restaurant (that is always opened on Friday evenings), nonetheless, we have always recommended guests pre book this Restaurant, due to its usual high demand. The referred evening, the Restaurant was successfully fully booked, but a second seating (for later time) was alternatively available for guests to book, especially due to the fact that many wanted to celebrate Valentines evening. Given this, a special menu was elaborated by our Food & Beverage Department, even so, we always extend the a La Carte menu, for guests not wishing to dine from special event menu.

We are at present offering all our guests a complimentary lunch at one of our golf courses, which has been very successful and well accepted. It did, in fact come to a surprise when your review mentioned that the food appeared to be there for some time. Our Executive Chef, as well as head of the Food & Beverage team are very adamant on quality, and we reassure you that the food displayed on the buffet is gradually prepared and trays are substituted various times to guarantee the freshness of all produce.

As for the wifi, as you may understand a 46 year old building’s infrastructure was not prepared for certain technologies, yet, as part of the refurbishment plan the wifi system will be upgraded and changed to better fit our guests needs.

The rollup used in our temporary lobby to promote our rooms has been very applauded by guests that are able to see what Dona Filipa Hotel will look like in the near future. We truly apologize for the fact that you found this offensive, but as you may understand we do feel the need to inform and showcase the new product to all visiting the Hotel; so everyone may see what awaits, hopefully, next time they visit the Hotel. Having justified this, we would like to inform and confirm that all public areas will be terminated by the end of March, and the East room wing during the month of May.

To conclude, we would like to, once again, apologize that your experience was not the most positive, nonetheless trust you understand that the points you mentioned are temporary, and therefore, hope that you will visit us, once the refurbishments are terminated, so you may truly experience the Dona Filipa Hotel to the fullest.

With kindest regards