“Saturday lunch”

Price range: US$14 - US$78
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Boatyard, Leigh-On-Sea The Boatyard combines the benefits of a modern purpose-built restaurant with the classic surroundings of the Old Leigh fishing village, not to mention the excellent food. Contained within what was previously a working boatyard, the building has been converted into a modern restaurant, fully air-conditioned with a state of the art music system, digital projection screen and a glass-fronted kitchen area . A panoramic polarised glass frontage provides uninterrupted views of the Thames Estuary and Two-Tree Island Nature Reserve. Even more spectacular views can be obtained from the stunning wooden deck which juts out into the water and spans the entire width of the building.
Essex
“Saturday lunch”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Well aside from the overly loud Essex clientele next to our table, lunch and service here was good. Several of us had the burger on the set menu and the doughnuts with a trio of sauces; both of which were really very good. There at times with the boatyard an overwhelming sense of snobbery and I think there are better places to eat in Leigh. However location, a good service and good food gives this review a 'good' overall rating.

London, United Kingdom
“Great lunch and service”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Food was great and service excellent. They happily got us something bespoke for our 1 year old son and despite the busyness and wind were always smiling. Will definitely visit again.

• Visited August 2014
Boatyard R, Manager at The Boatyard Restaurant, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review. We're very pleased to know you enjoyed your visit. Looking forward to seeing you again.
Kind regards
Cllare Carey
Restaurant Manager
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Good ambience but not the most welcoming of restaurants”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My friends and I visited the Boatyard last month for a birthday meal. We had chosen the Boatyard as there is live music and also because the ‘Grill Night’, available of a Tuesday evening looked to be very reasonably priced. In the past we had visited this restaurant as a group and had a good evening, despite the staff not appearing to always be that happy. The evening menu included some bread for starters, a choice of main course and a complimentary dessert.
I was told upon arrival that the birthday cake that I had baked could be bought out but not eaten in the restaurant. When I queried this, I was told that the in-house chefs tended to make birthday cakes. To me, I didn’t see the logic in being told we couldn’t eat it, particularly when the restaurant weren’t going to get any extra revenue from desserts, being that they were complimentary anyway. So those were the house rules but slightly disappointed- this is something to be aware of if you are thinking of doing the same thing.
Our table was in a nice area of the restaurant where we were placed fairly close to the pianist, but also on a table where we got a great view of the restaurant. The layout is inviting, there’s no doubt about it and it has been cleverly thought out. The restaurant became busier after 6.30pm with quite a few special parties which was great.
One of our party is a vegetarian and was only allowed one choice on the menu. We fully understood that it was grill night but when she asked the waiter if there was any alternative, he seemed to make a bit of a joke about the fact that there was only that choice, and he hoped she liked it. Considering that vegetarians have a difficult enough time in restaurants that don’t cater enough for their needs, I found this to be a poor situation. Fortunately, my friend was okay with the choice but it wouldn’t have been her preference.
The complimentary bread was given to the four of us, however we were given 3 bread rolls on separate plates, 2 balsamic vinegar and olive oil dips for the two of us that had taken this choice and one pate dip for two people. This was slightly confusing as in our mind we were expecting another pate and another bread roll. The rolls had been sliced and it appeared that the pate was to share as were 3 bread rolls between 4 of us- the waiter was being kind in bringing a third, usually you would share the one roll between two people. This was a tad strange??
We were all most happy with our meals and liked the fact that the chips came in a little metal fryer, it showed attention to detail. The food was of a reasonable quality and was well presented. For the price that we all paid, we were all mostly satisfied. The dessert of the evening was a chocolate brownie and this was absolutely delicious. I don’t believe that we were told what the dessert was until it came to the table.
The service was acceptable but not personable in any way. The waiters and waitresses appeared to be there to do their job, which they did perfectly well but they seemed over-worked and not entirely friendly, nor did they engage in any conversation. I consider this to be part of the role as you are dealing with paying customers.
This visit had us all feeling a bit mixed as to whether we would visit again due to some of these reasons, but without a doubt would say that the deal wasn’t a bad one and the Boatyard was clearly advertising it well as the restaurant was full up.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Mary E
Romford, United Kingdom
“Great food with a great view”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We popped in on the off chance without booking for Saturday lunch
The receptionist quickly found us a table on the inside upper deck
We both ordered off the 2 course set menu (£12.99), and we both ordered the scallop and smoked salmon tartlet which was excellent
For mains I had the burger with brie served with crispy chips and my wife had the Cajun chicken plus a side order of vegetables
Both meals were as good as the starter
The bill came to £45 and included 2 G&Ts and 1 and a half pints of draught larger (no real ale)

London, United Kingdom
“Fresh fish and a great ambience!”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Very impressed with this restaurant which was recommended to me by a friend who lives in the area. Very nice decor with views over the Thames estuary. You can have drinks out on the deck if you want to and I believe you can have lunch outside but in the evening, meals are only served inside. Great atmosphere, lively, buzzing and when we were there a piano player which was nice and gave the place a relaxing ambience. I had researched the menus before I went so avoided Tuesday night which was grill night as didn't feel enough choice on menu. However we chose from 3 course set menu which at almost £16 per person is extremely good value! The salmon dish (with almonds and honey glaze) was one of the best salmon dishes I've ever had. Starter and dessert was delicious too and just right size portions. All in all my husband and I gad a lovely evening. Service was efficient and very friendly. We'll definitely go back!