“try a takeaway first..then judge the place” 2 of 5 bubbles

Manoly Thai Restaurant
Ranked #41 of 142 Restaurants in Leigh-on Sea
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
leigh on sea
“try a takeaway first..then judge the place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

Whenever I try out a new venue I try a takeaway and then figure if they get that right; it might be worth eating in and paying a service charge. I've had two Pad Thai's from Manolys and they were not worth the price tag or the bother of parking outside to pick them up. The sauce in this place is usually reddish and used whenever they cook everything. There's nothing special about their dishes except perhaps the price tag. It's not cheap here. I asked if the squid was fresh and assured that it was, I ordered some squid in garlic to takeaway. As soon as I bit into the tough stuff I knew it was not fresh. I knew because I have cooked fresh squid before and it can absolutely melt in your mouth.

I am not a Manolys fan anymore. It changed hands and prices went up. All that tapestry and Thai silk doesn't fool my taste.

Visited July 2011
5 Thank catfingers

essex
“Great Thai restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

Been here about 5 times and everytime is as good as the last. Food is beautifully cooked and well presented, staff are friendly, prices are reasonable. I love sitting near the kitchen, because you can see in and watch the chefs making the food, its very impressive! We will be eating here again in the future.

Essex UK
“Great Thai Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2011

My wife and I visited midweek for our anniversary. Found the staff very friendly and the food very very good. Would recommend a visit to all.

• Visited May 2011
London, United Kingdom
“A bit like an Asian Fawlty Towers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

As others have said about Manoly: the food is great, no complaints there.

The service is confused and very, very hap-hazard! I've always found the staff to be polite and friendly, that's not the issue. They're just existing in a vacuum of chaos pretty much most of the time!

It wouldn't stop me going again as I tend to view it as a kind of entertainment!

• Visited September 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pastiche005
Panama City, Panama
“Good Food - Rude Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

Just that said in the title. The food IS good there is no compromise there, but a complete "couldn't care less" attitude with a few of the staff, it makes going there a bit like roulette, do you get great food and great service, or great, cold food and someone who really doesn't care whether you eat it, enjoy it as long as you pay and get out!