“fantastic atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Palm Tree - CLOSED

The Palm Tree
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
canvey island
“fantastic atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

My husband and I visited the palm tree last night for my birthday, it was a lovely experience. The service was faultless, even the restuarant door was opened for us both on arrival and leaving. The staff were friendly, helpful and professional. The food was gorgeous. I had steak diane and I can honestly say it was so tender and the best I had ever tasted....even compared to top notch london restuarants. My husband had lamb tagine and, again, loved it. The portions were very generous. The restuarant is intimate and cosy and suitable for couples or even groups. We were seated
Close to a group of giggly ladies but despite the small size of the restuarant, we were not disturbed
At all......an amazing pianist played and gave the restuarant not only a great ambiance but also blurred any talking from other groups. The atmosphere was also enhanced by perfect intimate lighting and decor. The toilets were modern, luxury and spotless. I have no bad words for this restuarant, it was a real delight and will definately recommend it and definately return. As for people stating the menu was too extensive.....can being spoilt for choice really be a bad thing? It ensures that everybody in your party will find something they will enjoy. The menu is eclectic but that makes you want to return to try all the dishes. Loved it.

3 Thank dovey68

“Lovely food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We visited the palm tree restaurant last week with my friends. We realy enjoyed our meal and service.
I had lamb shank, it was realy tender and testy. My friend had duck with spaghetti.she also enjoyed..then followed cheese board.. Service was attentive and pleasant.
The reasturant clean and nicely decorated.
Thank you the palm tree .. We will return soon..

3 Thank Alex D
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“Our favourite restaurant in Leigh on sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is our third visit to the restaurant and it was as amazing as the first two visits. This visit was for my husbands birthday and they brought his desert out with a happy birthday message and a candle. Food is delicious and service is faultless. Will be returning again very soon

2 Thank Michelle509
Essex
“Poor Palm Tree”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Nice small restaurant but they haven't got any idea about good service I am sorry to say. After 4 attempts of asking for a Martini, my husband still just got sweet martini and ice, they did not know how to prepare one! Fifteen minutes later we had to ask for a menu. The choice is far too much, Italian, Moroccan, English, not really sure which nationality they prefer.

Unfortunately, I was left with an upset stomach all weekend, so will not be returning. With a massive choice of restaurants in this area (Leigh on Sea - Southend) they need to up their game!

Disappointing.

4 Thank jannieEssex
London
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We came here a couple of days ago, being fans of the sister restaurant lemon tree we were expecting good things.

I try not to write bad reviews but I was so disappointed that thought only fair to give feedback.

The decor was really nice and the staff were warm and friendly on arrival, for that I was tempted to give two stars but the food was so poor that I have to stick to one star.

We ordered wine, reasonably priced.

Starters were unimaginable but ok. However the mains is where it took a real turn from bad to worse, the food arrived quickly but tasted like it had been reheated. I had the risotto - something about it reminded me of a microwave meal, it was unlike any risotto I had had before, watery and basically rice mixed with a tomato sauce. My husband had the pork, small and nothing to shout about. All the mains lacked taste and flavour, under seasoned and under whelming, I really wanted to like something but just couldn't find anything. The icing on the cake was when I discovered two non-food objects in my mouthful of risotto which after inspecting it for quite sometime as I hate to complain or make a scene so wanted to be sure, both myself and husband agreed...it was PLASTIC! I got the attention of the waiter discreetly and then the food was whisked away "for the chef to inspect" after sometime the waiter returned and announced to the entire restaurant that the objects were identified as chorizo skin, I was insulted that he thought I would buy that, it was a 100% not food, I have never know any chorizo skin to have the solid texture or to resemble shards of plastic. It felt like I had been reprimanded, very embarrassing and not exactly great customer service. At that off the waiter went to go fetch my inspected risotto to return to me, at which point I got the attention of another waiter and asked to change my main to anything else (surely this should have been offered or at least a fresh risotto cooked). Moussaka was bought out as a replacement, again with the same reheated taste, it was as small as my palm and looked like it was someone else's leftovers, I didn't bother to finish it.

We ordered dessert as a final try at turning around our meal. Again tasteless. We paid and left.

I wish I could say better things as I really wanted to like this place but I can't say I will return to give it another go, very disappointing.

6 Thank MrsPC_London