“A Great Find”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 October 2018

We were in Leigh on a day trip, and found Cucina by chance. The primary attractions were its location (in the middle of 'town', close to shops and five minutes from the sea); its 'look' (modern, clean-lines and genuinely stylish) and - no point in being coy - a two course lunch - from three (starter, main and dessert) for £12.95 looked excellent value for a place with that 'look'. Provided food and service were fine. Both were better than "fine". Excellent ratings sum up both. The choice available from the set lunch menu was good. The cooking was excellent. (No suggestion of any skimping to reflect the low(ish) price.) Service was polite, quick.....attentive.....without a hint of pushing : we were given the choice of three menus and settled for the ''set lunch'' although the a la carte was tempting and not wildly expensive. The wine list was typical - in length and choice - for a better-than-decent Italian restaurant, and although wine by the glass was limited in range there was was 'reasonable' choice at a fair price.....bearing in mind we wanted a good, quickish, lunch without much alcohol. (Most fellow lunchers seemed to have the same idea, although the restaurant would be good for business and more lingering lunches. The price - for two excellent starters and main courses (all standard Italian dishes); a large glass of Frascati; orange juice and a San Pellegrino - came to £38. We would have expected to pay £70 or so at our 'local', and also excellent, Italian in NE London. Therefore, Cucina was excellent value for money, giving us exactly what we were looking for.....and more. (Incidentally, although it's never incidental at the time, the toilets were...... immaculate.)

Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

After eating here many times I felt compelled to write a review as this restaurant never leaves me disappointed.
The food is always tasty, traditional Italian cooking. No fuss, just what you want from a good Italian restaurant. I recently ordered the prawn pasta dish from the specials menu and the prawns were wonderful, fresh and juicy. Lucky me! Portion sizes are generous so you won’t be walking out of here wishing you had filled up on bread first. Don’t you hate that?! Although do have some of the delicious olives with a sharpener to start!
Cucina’s atmosphere is great with a good mix of people but the welcoming staff really add the finishing touch.
Thanks Cucina, I’ll be back to see you again soon!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

The food at this restaurant is great and on my last visit I sampled the rabbit, which was perfectly cooked. The wine was good and the decor is comfortable. Unfortunately, the waiter dropped an entire pint of beer over one of my friends, which of course was an accident. What was really disappointing was the lack of any real apology, no offer of anything complimentary for my friend and a tut from one of the waiters when I asked for my beer-soaked fork to be replaced. We were also misinformed on the sides that came with the dishes and ended up paying for additional sides unnecessarily. I’m pretty sure this isn’t the normal standard of service for this restaurant but it was disappointing and did spoil what was an otherwise lovely meal.

4  Thank ostar81
Reviewed 10 October 2018

went for earlier dinner with my daughter and managed to get a table on saturday early evening. i cant recommend it highly enough the staff at the restaurant are second to none so polite and attentive. The food was absolutely delicious with very little waiting from dish to dish. The restaurant is clean nicely decorated and has a really nice atmosphere. it is really good value for money.

Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

As always a really nice meal enjoyed by all.
We took my daughter and future son in law who'd never been before and loved it.
The staff are excellent and the food was top spec.
We will be back.