“Wouldn't go back”
Review of Coastal Kippford

Coastal Kippford
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in many lodges in the past through the website hoeseasons. I booked this for me and 5 friends. On arriving everything was fine until we went into the hot tub. It was undercover!! And had a timer that switched it off at 10pm. Absolutely shocking!! They should state this as if we knew this we wouldn't have booked it. As it was indoors all the chemicals and cholerian stayed inside I ended up with the worst cold ever. The facilities were good in the kitchen. The double room had an ensuite. I dropped something and rolled under the bed. On picking it up I found vases and pictures for the walls hid underneath. Found this strange until I went onto the website and seen the lodge had all the pictures n vases in the room. Were they hid for our arrival? On leaving the site the hot tub became smelly and glimey I told the girl at reception - she blamed me for going in with body cream ect on!!!!! Was shocked!!!! When I thought about it I never seen anyone cleaning the hot tub. Never ever going back and won't be recommending it to anyone either.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Gillian W

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Took our motorhome and dog here for a long weekend. Arrived at the site out of normal hours but found the warden to be really helpful. Drove up to the pitch which was perfectly level and included an aerial socket as well as the electric hook up which was a bonus. Park itself was spotless and only about 10 minutes walk down into Kippford. Kippford itself is a very beautiful village. There are a couple of pubs and some very nice and fairly easy walks along the Solway coast and through the forest. We walked to Rockcliffe and had a nice cup of tea in the tearooms with gardens overlooking the sea. Food is not great in the area so not great for foodies. We tried the pubs which were okay but had a shocking meal at an Italian called Luigi's at nearby Dalbeattie. Both meals tasted like ready meals. All in all a nice place to spend a couple of nights and enjoy the fantastic scenery of the Solway coast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paulwacca
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We've never been to Scotland, but booked 2 bungalows for us and my parents. What a great find, the park is beautiful, bungalows were spotless, home from home. The park is great for walking with breathtaking views. The staff are very freindly and helpful. On arrival the bungalow had tea coffee, milk, also tea towels and washing up liquid. The information brochures have great places to visit (shame we didn't have time to visit them all) We will definately go back Thank you for the lovely holiday x

Room Tip: Walk to Rockcliff a must, Clonyard Hotel lovely meals.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lorraine B
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed in the one bedroomed Beach Hut bungalow in September 2013, have been here several times before, in caravans and bungalows, and have wanted to come back since.

We got to the site early, 10.00, as we wanted to avoid heavy traffic, we'd planned to spend the day in Kippford but, unfortunately, the heavens opened, so we ended up sat in our car shivering behind reception. Very big thank you to the lady on reception and the cleaning team for getting the bungalow ready so fast.

We'd not stayed in this bungalow before, but it was perfect for us, big bedroom with separate dressing room, spacious bathroom with bath/power shower and comfortable furniture. Complimentary milk, coffee, tea and milk very much appreciated. Dried off and spent the remainder of the day getting to know Kippford again, and we weren't disappointed. Everyone who works here works so hard to make Kippford what it is, a beautiful, clean, peaceful haven.

We ate out at The Anchor most days, excellent food, reasonable prices and ok to take our dog in. Local shops and take aways 10 minutes by car in Dalbettie. Dalbettie Forest is a must, if you're into biking they have an excellent cycle track right next door. There are also several excellent walking trails around and about.

Overall fantastic holiday, everyone extremely friendly and helpful, fantastic accommodation and beautiful scenery, we've booked again to go in June.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicky123
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We have recently returned from an excellent stay at Kippford holiday park.
We are a family of four (myself and wife and twin 12 year old boys). Having recently bought our first touring caravan I was keen to have a great first short holiday that would be the start of many more. We live in Edinburgh and did not want to travel too far so looked around the web and was enticed by the awards Kippford had won. My desire to select this site was made easier by an excellent web site that was feature rich and allowed me to show the family what it offered etc etc.

Our first dialogue with the company was via the phone and I was met with a friendly and knowledgable member if staff that listened to our needs and made some practical suggestions which led to me making a booking. The prices seemed fair and the site facilities including an adventure playground sounded spot on!

My own circumstances are slightly challenging when I look for accommodation as I am in a wheelchair and therefore facilities that cater for disabled while also satisfying my family are equally important. Like most good holiday sites they have good quality and clean toilets that made everything easy.

So payment made, date firmly in the diary and a week to wait and praying for fine weather.

My prayers were answered as we had fantastic weather and a chance to try out my new BBQ!

After a trip of just over two hours we arrived at Kippford and parked our van in the waiting area. We then went in and met the staff who were all again very pleasant and welcoming to all of us. Their reception was full of information including lots of DVD's which I expect you could rent.

The owner took time it personally walk with me up the fairly steep hill up to the site where we would pitch our caravan. It was a great spot with lovely views, water in/out and electricity (also known as a supersite). It was almost perfect, but for me would have meant a 400m walk to the disabled toilets. This would have been possible but not as easy compared to being on a site on the flat. This was no fault of Kippford as I booked very late and all other pitches were already taken.

This is probably the most important part of my feedback. The owner knew that I would accept and set up where I had been allocated but I could tell from his empathy that it would not be easy and he then kindly asked me if I would mind waiting 10 minutes while he went back to reception and discussed this with his team to see if he could juggle anything to get me into a better location. I was of course delighted at the prospect. The owner (Robin) shortly returned and said there was another option and took me and the family it a beautiful pitch at the bottom of the park and within easy distance of the toilets. This was a no brainer and I gladly took up his kind offer.

We soon set up the caravan and the kids familiarised themselves with the holiday park which included finding where they could buy sweets and play in gone adventure park.

Once set up we were visited by Robin to check all was ok and as novice caravanners he helped us set up a few things too.

The weekend was just brilliant. Fine weather, really pleasant neighbours, a beautifully kept park abundant with wildlife meant it was really special.

In fact I was so taken by the park, it's location and the staff that I have since booked two more weekend in May and also hired a static caravan so I can bring my extended family down to also enjoy the experience.

So in summary if you are new to a caravan, lodge or camping experience or are an experienced hand I thoroughly recommend you visit this holiday park as you will have a great time.

My sincere thanks to Robin and his team

Jonathan Gilbert

7  Thank Jonathan G
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had booked a gold caravan but on arrival were pleasantly surprised to discover we had been upgraded to a Lodge.

The Lodge was very spacious and spotless. Kitchen had the usual microwave, fridge/freezer etc but also had a dishwasher and washing machine. Plenty of storage space as well. It was a real home from home. Good size bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Enclosed decking around the lodge which was good for LO to play swingball.

Only little niggle was the double bed which was very uncomfortable to sleep on.

There are 2 play parks one for young kids under 7 and the other an assault course type. Both are well maintained and good variety of things for kids to play on.

Days out went to Dumfries for swimming at DG1 followed by visit to park for pitch n putt and trampolining and play area. Mabie Farm is also worth a visit with the kids. Loads to do for the kids.

For internet we used our mobile phone (O2) but it was very hit and miss but that's down to our service provider and not the site.

The site was busy at it was the Easter weekend but you wouldn't have known it as there was little noise.

This is our third visit to Kippford and will definitely be back again next year

Room Tip: If you have young kids and want to use the play park on site then best to choose accommodation aroun...
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Hello all,hope you reading will find this review helpful in making the right choice before booking here,went here with my family for 7 days and stayed in the Norwegian log cabin at the top of the hill,things went wrong from day one,arrived at the reception area did not find staff very helpful, handed me a map to find our way to our log cabin which was at the top of a very big hill,when we got into the log cabin it was beautiful and relativity clean although my four year old daughter found the previous occupants medication tablets under the chest of drawers in the bedroom which could have been bad if she hadn't the sense to tell us.also we arrived to no travel cot for our one year old baby which was meant to be there for us arriving.and also the Internet service is shocking with no or very little signal of which my two teenages son and daughter were very displeased about,particularly my daughter whom had brought her laptop to catch up on her studies while she was on a break as she had her exams coming up,I phoned reception to let them know about the internet problem but were really unhelpful and disinterested, they game me a company's number who supply this holiday parks internet to speak to them phoned the company who supply the internet and they said they would take my number and call me back once they had looked into the problem..guess what?no phone call back from them all day,disgusting customer service,that was all in the first day,second day found out that they shut the hotub off at ten O'Clock at night,you have got no choice in the matter,me and the wife were thinking it would have been nice when all the kids were settled for the night we could go into the hotub for I nice relaxingg bit of quality time with each other!but no chance,the holiday park turn the power off so hotub off at 10pm whether you like it or not,what do they think people are?and also still no internet service or no phone calls from them,lovely manners NOT!!!third day my wife phoned the internet service company again and was fobbed off by getting told the gentleman we had to speak to called Findlay was on another phone call and would fone us back,hours past still no phone call,I phoned again was told he was on another call and would get back to me,guess what?still no phone call,I phoned them again and their offices were now closed,SHOCKING.by this time my two teenage children were deeply upset at no einternet service and also the lack of responce from the park about our complaints.that evening the big slide door in the log cabin was not locking so I reported this to the warden Robbie his name I think to see if he could have it fixed in time for us coming back that evening from dinner,on returning quite late to the park we passed by the warden in our car,I stopped and asked him did he manage to fix the lock on the door,he said yes,when we got back to our log cabin we found the door had not been fixed and that we where unable to lock it at night for the kids going to bed,my wife was very distressed by this as you can't always be sure with some of the disappearance of kids like madallen McCann took from their beds at night,so I drove down to the wardens office to get him to fix the door to my horror I could see him and his wife sleeping on the couches and not answering to my heavy knocks at the door that in my opinion would have woke anyone up,so I had to go back to my car write a note to him to come and fix the door asap as my wife could not relax with an unlocked door,I left the not under his windscreen wiper hoping he would get it soon if he had happen to wake up and do his job propally,anyway barely sleep a wink that night,I had to sleep in the living room next to the door that would not lock so my wife and kids felt safe,next day came still no sign of door getting fixed,my wife had to fine down to get them to fix it,I then phoned the internet company again as their was still no internet,as us all they were busy and would call me back which never cameo then went down to the reception to complain about the internet service and met the owner of the park who seemed quite pleasant,unlike his staff,he went up to have a look at the internet at my lodge himself to try and fix the problem so I left him to it,when I got back the internet was still not working and the owner had never bothered to let me know what was happening with it which I found quite rude,I think that about sums this place up,you pay top dollar for second rate service and the staff are extremely unhelpful,their was I guy I seen in the reception a couple of times didn't get his name maybe in his late forties with dirty blonde hair ,his attitude completely stunk,kippford as a place outside this camp was lovely and the people so warm and helpful,but stay well clear of this holiday park as it is an awful unhelpful unfamily friendly and the workers from the reception right up to the wardens are very unhelpful,I know the owner will be straight on here after me trying to dismiss all of this I have writinen,but hand on heart every word is true about this place and my stay here,I have a right to express and have told trip advisor not to let anyone take my comments away and i have also spoken to the travel ombusman who say i have a rights to comment on these pages without prejudces..thankyou.

6  Thank c v
KHPOwner, Owner at Coastal Kippford, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Hello too from the Park Owner
My client has some justified cause for complaint and accordingly will not receive a charge for remedying damage which occurred between the beginning and end of their stay. We had had a previous problem with the door lock.
Our (very new) wifi system can now be altered in strength remotely by the installers - who are sometimes hard to get hold of.
As the installer did the boost the gentleman asked the wifi installer to speak to his wife because he did not understand wifi at all; during that very short time the system died. Upon arrival I found the aerial pole had been broken at it's fixing, the aerial had been removed from the pole and the cable connector had been broken from the aerial. There was evidence to suggest that the glass topped patio table had been used as a platform, perhaps these points are linked.
The gentleman stated to my staff somewhat bluntly that we say we provide free wifi, his printed details and our literature would suggest otherwise, indeed they state that it is charged for and signal may vary - hence the new system presently being put through its paces.
It is comforting to know that my staff were at their post in the evening, even if dozing, they would have woken from a doze if their door was knocked.
My staff are polite, see other TA reviews to check that; but they become a tad silent when facing a tirade that includes inaccuracies. I on the other hand was rude in forgetting to go back a second time or put a note under the door (when I had discovered the damage) to say that 'very sorry but the recent physical damage requires new equipment' which the installer has to send off for.
We would have liked to be told about the pills discovered - surely an error of my staff which is most regrettable; as was (though not so dangerous) the indelible ink staining on a bedroom carpet which we discovered after the client departed.
I believe the clients did experience a longer delay before the wifi installer got back to them which is regrettable, sadly the clients left a day early so were not able to enjoy the benefit of the boosted wifi with replaced equipment.
Robin Aston, Park Owner