Review Highlights
Really good food but a little pricey

We went for dinner on my birthday, I requested one of the three vegan main courses, however they... read more

Reviewed 10 February 2019
Misstravellingmack
England
Lovely, simple furnishing / decor and food: small portions; quite expensive

We had the 2 course lunch; it was very good, but my starter need bread, and the soup was a puree... read more

Reviewed 6 February 2019
Rachel D

All reviews the kitchen tractor ride cookery course car park lamb bread pudding cookery school sunday lunch apple brandy great food soup tv series head chef crab beautiful location meringue
Reviewed 28 March 2016 via mobile

VERY slow service! 1 1/2 hours... Wasn't even busy!

Average food - wouldn't bother, find somewhere else

Currently waiting for dessert (ice cream) and that's taking a long time too!

2  Thank AdrianHolmes7
Reviewed 27 March 2016

Fantastic experience form start to finish. Food was excellent and p,entry of it. I would recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed 22 March 2016

Friday night dinner: Worth every penny, beautiful location, the quality of the food was exemplary and the staff are knowledgeable and attentive. Will be returning at the soonest opportunity!
Best dinner night we have ever been to every mouthful was delicious!

Two day cookery course: Excellent teaching from two of the best chefs in the building! I learned more in two days than I have from the twenty or so cookery books I have in the last 10 years. Filleting fish, two types of bread making, chocolate fondants, baked fish, fish tart, veal and vension and finally a delicious vegetable cake! An experience not to be missed for those who really love excellent quality food and want to improve their cookery skills and understanding. You will not regret this expereince!

Reviewed 19 March 2016

We were in Axminster and decided to have lunch at The Canteen because we enjoy their selection of creative Tapas style dishes. We chose roast cauliflower, Merguez sausages with lentils, a crunchy salad and chips. Everything was delicious and imaginatively created with fresh, local produce. Oh yes and the coffee was superb too! Friendly service as well.

Reviewed 12 March 2016 via mobile

I love cooking and am quite proficient. I took the four day course here and loved it. The location is set in beautiful rolling Devon countryside. Gelf and Andy know everything there is to know about organic food, foraging, meat and fish. They always had time for questions and ran the course with the enthusiasm of a first time run.
I have left with so many new ideas and will think so much more about the food I buy. As well as a great course there were an amazing and interesting range of attendees. With 16 of us of all ages and backgrounds there it was fun working together. Great buzz. Got to meet the cats with character Marmaduke, Nettle and Left Eye Lazy Lopez. Nettle turned up just as we were preparing a delicious nettle soup
A real special experience.