“Good value, high quality”

River Cottage Canteen
Ranked #4 of 36 Restaurants in Axminster
Price range: US$22 - US$51
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with the Canteen. They take great pride in the sourcing of the food ie it's local and mostly organic, where it can be, and it was beautifully presented, the dishes that we tried were all very good, particularly the crab starter.

The menu had a definite bias towards the veggie although there were two or three game dishes and a couple of fish. This surprised me, I thought it was very limited and some of our party would have preferred to have the option of meat dishes.

The restaurant was very much more casual than anticipated, in terms of dress code (there isn't one!) and the dining space itself - but then it is called a canteen, I suppose. It wasn't a problem and it was priced accordingly, I thought - extremely good value for the quality of food.

Overall it was very good for a really casual dining experience but probably not the place for a romantic "diner a deux".

One tip: there isn't any where to sit and wait if you are early, ie there is no bar, so if they are full this means that you have to stand in the front/deli area, which isn't so great, so try to arrive just in time for your table.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,278)

Reviewed 17 October 2012

Food OK, shame about the service - a bit on the arrogant side. Had starter with not much taste but the main was OK

Reviewed 16 October 2012

Went to the RC canteen for breakfast. Very little choice on the menu, which I guess is to be expected for morning time. I ordered a bacon sandwich, hard to be done badly really, but it was two pieces of bread with 2 (very) small rashers of bacon, and I mean VERY small.
Canteen full english was lovely though, so not all bad.
The deli sells some nice bits but the pasty and pork pie we bought for a picnic lunch were salty to the point of being inedible.
Pretty average all in all.

Reviewed 16 October 2012

Luuverly food and drinks. Staff very friendly and helpful. Liked the canteen atmosphere. Of course there is a queue at lunchtime - but that says it all (everyone likes its) and its not too long to wait. Felt it was nicer and better value than River Cottage HQ.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I was staying nearby with my mum and we came here for breakfast one morning. Lovely relaxed and friendly atmosphere, delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs on toast and a massive pot of tea which was good value. We would have come for an evening meal but didn't have time. The deli area sells lots of scrummy looking foods. I would def come back here when in the area again.