“Lovely celebrity chef cafe”

River Cottage Canteen
Ranked #4 of 36 Restaurants in Axminster
Price range: US$22 - US$51
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Riverside restaurant was not available when I was on holiday in the area so I went to the Riverside canteen in Axminster that is owned by Hugh instead. It was delicious. I only had a light lunch of asparagus spears and my husband had pork belly squares light lunch but I must say it was gorgeous tasted so fresh and looked amazing. We also shared a panacotta dessert which was so creamy and just melted in the mouth. I did not have a reservation and managed to get in so a reservation is not required but then might be ideal to just in case especially if high season. You can also buy Hughs cook books there and other products from local farmers etc. There is also a deli area so you can purchase olives and cheese if you like. A very spacious country style area (chunky wooden tables) and a great atmosphere. Staff where very friendly. There is a car park outside but only allowed to park there for an hour. Would recommend to anyone that loves food, freshness and celebrity chefs or even Hugh himself.

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

One of the best breakfast's I and my wife have ever had, we had to wait a little too long to get the food but it was worth it, my wife's bacon sandwich was very tasty brown cut loaf and the bacon was very lean and extremely tasty, my full English was the perfect size and probably the best tasting mushrooms I have EVER had, would defiantly revisit and wholeheartedly recommend anyone to visit if you can.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

A while ago this restaurant was getting poor reviews for value and portion size so I was interested to see how it compared with River Cottage Canteen in Plymouth. OK the position doesn't compare but in every other way the HF-W brand was adhered to. I love the way they can make something really tasty out of simple ingredients. Our mezze board was varied and tasty and the crab was excellent, as was the halloumi with beetroot.i will definitely be visiting again.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Myself, husband and our 21 month old daughter had lunch here the other day. On holiday in the local area and both being advocates of Hugh and his ideas we were excited to try here and we were not let down!
Service: friendly and attentive
Food: i had wild garlic risotto ( i assumed to be with rice but was pearl barley, which fortunatly i like) it was delicious I could not eat it all as the portion was large this was accompanied rubarb eaton mess, scrummy! both off the £12.50 set lunch menu, well worth the price.
My husband ordered fish cakes, however lamb bap was presented instead. Immediatly upon realising the mistake the meal was offered for free, which obviously we took up and my husband really really enjoyed his burger.
Our daughter loved her sausage and chips, though i feel maybe a side of veg would be good for a child instead of dandelion leaves!
We then took home an couple of Toms pies for the following day, the chicken and leek in particular was delicious.
We have been to a few 'celebrity chef' restaurants and this seems the most relaxed and best value for money.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

the walnut and coffey cake dry chips were the botton lot in oven chips kept burping the fat they were coverd in back the toilets were disgusting at least 3 months dirt on skirting boards toilet seat wrong shape for toilet floor not been cleaned for a few days mens cubicals next to womans cubicals I should of known when the front door was covered in dryed on segul poo what i was in for. instead of advertiseing for waters should advertise for a cleaner very disapointed