“River cottage canteen”

Price range: US$22 - US$51
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Good food, good service with polite staff and very accommodating with our 8 month old child. Will be going back again soon

Write a ReviewReviews (2,341)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

It was a cold wet windy day when we walked into the River Cottage Canteen with two friends who have a holiday cottage in nearby Beer. We were met immediately with a welcoming buzz of a warm, lively, friendly, very busy brasserie.

We started with caramelised halloumi, beetroot and toasted walnuts, with delicious bread and oil shared between the four of us. This really excited our taste buds! The look of the smoked and cured fishcakes on other diners' plates was impossible to resist, it was a great choice with a delicious beetroot and horseradish dressing.

We lingered at the table long after we had finished, chatting, people watching and enjoying the vibrant scene. Nobody hassled us, although they were busy the staff smiled and checked we had everything we wanted. Excellent food and delightful staff! I only wished we lived nearer to go back again soon!

1  Thank TanteJennie
Reviewed 4 May 2014

A nice atmosphere, the were staff pleasant, food good, but small portions and very pricey. Generally an enjoyable outing.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Riverside restaurant was not available when I was on holiday in the area so I went to the Riverside canteen in Axminster that is owned by Hugh instead. It was delicious. I only had a light lunch of asparagus spears and my husband had pork belly squares light lunch but I must say it was gorgeous tasted so fresh and looked amazing. We also shared a panacotta dessert which was so creamy and just melted in the mouth. I did not have a reservation and managed to get in so a reservation is not required but then might be ideal to just in case especially if high season. You can also buy Hughs cook books there and other products from local farmers etc. There is also a deli area so you can purchase olives and cheese if you like. A very spacious country style area (chunky wooden tables) and a great atmosphere. Staff where very friendly. There is a car park outside but only allowed to park there for an hour. Would recommend to anyone that loves food, freshness and celebrity chefs or even Hugh himself.

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

One of the best breakfast's I and my wife have ever had, we had to wait a little too long to get the food but it was worth it, my wife's bacon sandwich was very tasty brown cut loaf and the bacon was very lean and extremely tasty, my full English was the perfect size and probably the best tasting mushrooms I have EVER had, would defiantly revisit and wholeheartedly recommend anyone to visit if you can.