“First of many visits to come!”

River Cottage Canteen
Ranked #4 of 35 Restaurants in Axminster
Price range: US$22 - US$51
Cuisines: British, Soups
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cornwall, United Kingdom
“First of many visits to come!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Great food but would like to see some imaginatively delicious vegan options on the menu... easily done!
The relaxed ambience, the attractive rustic decor and the very friendly staff contributed greatly to what was a very special evening for my partner and me.
I would particularly like to mention our waiter Will, whose unimposing, friendly attentiveness added greatly to the whole experience for us.
We'll be back for sure!

2 Thank vegan4lifeonearth

Auburn, California, United States
“Lovely fresh food and unusual choices.”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I love eating at this cafe. The food is all locally sourced and always fresh and healthy. All the drink choices are unusual like dandelion beer. The portions seemed larger than last time which was good. Definitely recommend coming to Axminster to visit here.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank JaneH222
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Met friends for a great lunch”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Axminster is about halfway between our home in Dorset and our friends home in Devon so we decided to meet there.. I had enjoyed some of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's TV programmes so thought it would be interesting to try his restaurant. We booked, always advise able as it is v popular. Upon arrival I was very pleasantly surprised. We went before the school holidays had started and in the middle of the week but it was very busy. I liked the layout of the restaurant,shop and bar area. We were warmly greeted upon our arrival (Big tick) then shown to our table. A friendly waitress served us with drinks and free water and explained the menu to us. We had main courses and desserts which were excellent. The bill was £90 for the four of us including the drinks which considering the standard of the food, the great atmosphere and the very good staff we encountered I think was very good value. We will definitely go there again and I recommend it to anyone. We bought very good local cheese, pies and chutney from the shop in the restaurant as well. You get a discount on it if you have eaten in the restaurant.

• Visited July 2014
“Lucky me”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Eaten here twice in the last month both times really very good, staff super pleasant and food excellent. Well worth a visit.

“Hugh must give it a try 😃”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Visited today with my family, very nice place with excellent very fresh food and very polite staff thoroughly enjoyed it.

Will visit again very soon.