“We struck gold here”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 March 2014

A great place
for Chinese in Axminster, lovely staff we opted for a meal for two as it had the elements we would have chosen. Good way to spend an evening in Axminster. We hope to be back.

There are newer reviews for The Golden House

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Our local South East Asian restaurant often fails to do justice to what to what I consider the best cuisine in the world. It is fine tasting, reasonable value and staff polite enough but it just lacks something.... We have visited a few times but often it is more out of convenience that desire. I wonder how much of their menu is actually freshly prepared - the cynic in me doubts it will be a great deal. Decor could do with a 'spruce up' as well if you ask me. Shame.

1  Thank Devonrilla
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Since my last chat on the Golden House, I have come here many times since -- almost so often that I now consider it one of my main stays in the town of Axminster. For one, I seem to get Hot and Sour soup pretty much every single time I go. Last night was no exception -- it was even more flavourful than the time prior.

When I went buy on Monday I decided to get Peking Duck with the pancakes. The duck was brilliantly fantastic, and the pancakes were up to par as well. So tasty. When I decided to go again yesterday decided to get the Chilli and Spicy Pork with a side of fried rice and also my usual soup. The meal was absolutely brilliant and was an excitement to my taste buds.

Really, there is nothing that I have had here that I have been dissatisfied with, and I am planning on going again when the need for wonderful Chinese food comes to me,

Keep up the great work!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

My family was coming down from Birmingham and so we decided to grab a few things from the local Chinese and share it out. We usually use the other Chinese takeaway in town but since one of our party is very fussy we decided a grilled gammon steak could not go wrong for her (how wrong we were).

Our order was written down in neat writing so nothing was forgotten, everything was going well until the food was home. The "grilled" gammon steak (as advertised) was not grilled but smothered in some form of gravy and mushrooms, onions, etc - even though I specifically stated no sauce on the order and it looked more like a steak. The fried chicken on the "English dishes" part of the menu was also in gravy of some kind... The advertised tomatoes and peas included were thrown in this gravy. I actually thought it was duck when I opened the lid. The special fried rice was nothing like I had ever seen, rice at the bottom of the container with an egg omelette on top and lots of bits and pieces on top of that. The chicken & mushroom fried rice was indescribable, the king prawn satay (2 skewers) was all mush in a tub and the prawn cocktail ordered was missing. We were rather annoyed and decided to take it back (at the stage we believed we were given the wrong order).

Having taken the order back, the woman tried to make out it was our fault that we ordered wrong, until the list was produced and everything had been written down for them. She said the fried chicken was done that way by them (it was NOT fried chicken and should not be advertised as such), she said the "Grilled" gammon steak was also cooked like that and that the rice was their style. As it turned out we had also been overcharged originally by more than £10 and one of the other nicer staff worked this our and returned that money. We asked for the items to be freshly cooked again as this was a good half an hour since the first order was collected. We were all very hungry by this stage so we took the items home. Once there we realised they had left the same chips & chicken balls that was now cold and greasy. The gammon had been removed from the gravy and just heated up and was now rubbery, the special fried rice was just separate components thrown in a tub, the king prawns Satay was still a mushy mess and there was no prawn cocktail. The peas and tomatoes promised were still in the thick nasty sauce with the "fried chicken" and inedible. Even the dog turned his nose up at most of what was offered.

I am absolutely shocked that somewhere like this actually has some good marks, maybe today was just a bad day but I will not try again to find out. Next time there are friends or family around, I think we will stick with the nicer Chinese takeaway just up the road.

3  Thank Resa-Renai
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My wife and I had a lovely Chinese dinner at the Golden House, Axminster, yesterday evening.
The vegetables were crisp and the meat dishes full of flavour.
The service was good but not only attentive, which would normal annoy me.
Without doubt the Golden House is the best Chinese restaurant around the South East Devon/West Dorset boards.