“Good food, good service”
Review of Route 66 - CLOSED

Route 66
Cuisines: American, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Dined at Route 66 on 3 occasions now, admittedly it had never crossed my mind to dine there until a friend recommended it. The food is good, service is good, the surroundings are quirky. I can not emphasise how small this establishment is, the owners do very well to make the most of it. Would recommend to friends and family.

1  Thank Broomel1
route66axminster, Owner at Route 66, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review us. Much appreciated. Hope to see you again sometime.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Always welcome, reasonably priced and many of the meals are made by the owner including wonderful bread & rusk free beef burgers-the real deal

Cheers for the review. So glad you are happy coming here. Have a good summer.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

What a great little dinner
very reasonable and great food in an American style
thanks and look out for the 4th July in Axminster

Thanks for taking the time to review us.Hope to see you again. Well behaved customers always welcome.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Me and a group of girls frequent Route 66 regularly on a Thursday evening. Our orders range from having a coffee each to having full on meals for special occasions. Well last night will be the last night!
The fact that the service was terribly, terribly slow isn't actually the issue. (Even though we were the only customers)
On receiving my "nachos supreme" I noticed that the chicken on top looked slimy and grey. I tried a bit, and the texture was foul. I gave a chunk to a friend and she agreed.
So I took the chicken off my plate and put it onto a napkin so I could enjoy the rest of the meal.
The young boy serving came over and asked if everything was ok, to which I politely asked if he would mind taking the chicken away with him as I couldn't eat it.
The owner/chef then came over and basically had a go at me for not liking the chicken saying "it's cooked fresh today that's just how it looks" He was very abrupt and rude. I said not to worry about cooking more chicken as I was happy with the rest of the meal (which was exactly how it should be, v tasty except for the stringy aftertaste of this chicken)
Anyhooos.....we go to pay at the hatch, I was the last to pay and the young boy rang up by 8.99 for nachos supreme and £3 for milkshake.
Word for word I replied "I'm sorry I'm not willing to pay full price for that meal as the chicken was inedible" to which point the chef/owner took over.
I repeated that the texture of the chicken was horrible, my friend tried it also agreed, however the rest of my dinner was lovely (I cleared my plate which I think if someone was doing this just to be difficult they wouldn't do that).
He then proceeded to get pieces of chicken (from the kitchen I assume) pull it apart and shove it in his mouth, all the while repeating the chicken is fine there is nothing wrong with it. I protested that I couldn't eat it as I found it chewy and slimy. And he just continued doing this. He begrudgingly took £2 off my dinner bill (which is all I was looking for I didn't want a free dinner just the cost of the chicken to be removed) still all the while shoving this chicken into his mouth. This now brings into mind some serious questions about the h&s procedures here. Was that the chicken from my plate he was eating or what?
This was probably the strangest scenario I have ever encountered at restaurant.
I have never asked for food to go back, nor made a complaint or a trip advisor review.
Unfortunately they have lost some regular customers who provided business when usually there were no others in the restaurant.

10  Thank Zoelouise198
route66axminster, Owner at Route 66, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Unfortunately we do not comment on reviews where an outright lie has been stated as this puts the veracity of everything you say in to question.
Anyhooos (as you say) you say the restaurant was empty which it was not. I'm not sure how you missed the four people sitting at the next table.
The point of the chef trying the chicken meat was to show you that it was fine. It was not a brilliant white colour because it had been marinated in Santa Maria spices which, get this, changes the colour of chicken. Just like it did to the chicken in the rest of your party meals (who ate all theirs).
We are sorry you felt the chef was rude. We have reviewed the CCTV footage and have found that he was just stating that there was nothing wrong with the chicken . Disagreement does not constitute rudeness.
Also I think you have forgotten to mention that before you got the £2 off the chicken you had already got a 10% discount.
The rest of your weight watchers group that have been coming to the restaurant on a Thursday night for the last 5 years or so have obviously liked it here and have never had cause for complaint. It is a shame that you coming with them on 2 occasions has come to a negative review from you.
There were a couple of other things you forgot to mention but hey, life is short and Family Guy is on now.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I feel the rather 'shabby' look inside / outside of this restaurant need attention as do the very marked painted internal walls - perhaps a regular 'spring clean' would not be a bad idea?
Surprised to see tables cleared of crockery e.t.c but very obviously not wiped down / soft furnishings left in a crumbed and tangled muddle from previous customer use.
The names of the foods on the menu sound interesting but were a bit of a let down in taste, quality and presentation. The menu could also have been more accurate - if a chicken roll (not its menu name!) comes with mayo IN it, please advise the customer.....a bit of a shock when you bite into the roll and one of the foods you hate has been added to the roll without your knowledge.
I feel this could be a little gem of a restaurant if only more care was taken. Staff were very polite and friendly.