“Really excellent, highly recommended”

Axe Valley Wildlife Park
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Axminster
More attraction details
Owner description: A wildlife park set in the East Devon countryside
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have seen a few of these such parks around the world, and this one is by far the nicest. The animals all seem to be reproducing, which I take as an indicator of excellent health and care. It's really aimed at young children, say from toddlers to 8-year-olds, but is interesting for all ages. I was with some friends with young children, and they were mesmerised by the the animals (as well as the three playgrounds!)

1  Thank eoo104
DevonPeacock, Owner at Axe Valley Wildlife Park, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thanks for your comments and yes the animals are breeding well at the moment and our team ensure they are well cared for. We do try to cater for all ages here and are expanding by the day at the moment. Come along and visit us again on one of our activity days in the summer they are lots of fun.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Small but good value wildlife park.
There are loads of different animals here despite its small size and everyone is very friendly and unintrusive.
Loved the goats,otters and lovely leopard cats.

DevonPeacock, Owner at Axe Valley Wildlife Park, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

thanks for your review hope to see you again soon :-)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

What a lovely place. Really well cared for animals with lots of space. After reading the meerkat book we wanted to visit and were pleased with what we found. Well done to owners and all staff for such a pleasant experience and the owner even took time to have a chat with us about the park. We'll worth the visit and highly recommend to all.

1  Thank armitagekj2002
DevonPeacock, Owner at Axe Valley Wildlife Park, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thanks firstly for reading our book and making the effort to come and see what you read about :-) We are glad you enjoyed the park and maybe will come and visit again :-)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went to Axe Valley Wildlife Park today with my daughter and grandson. A friend had suggested we go as she felt it was a really great place to go to. On arrival, it doesnt look much from the car park, but don't be put off by the outside! This place is heaps bigger than you think its going to be and has a vast array of animals in enclosures as well as some roaming freely around the park. The entrance price is very good, too. We began by having lunch. Food is simple but fresh, delicious and uses local produce. Homemade cakes, really good hot chocolate, and tea and incredibly helpful friendly staff. The park is full of diverse and interesting animals with interesting snippets of facts about each species on the enclosures.
Its charm lies in its simplicity, this is such a lovely family run and family oriantated park, long may it continue. If a charming and fulfilling family day out is what you want this is it.
We will definately go again and I would recommend Axe Valley as a truly enjoyable day out for everyone. ♡

1  Thank Zannad

Yes there is a lot more to us than people think, sounds like you had a great visit. Come back and visit us again :-)

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Having heard about this place last year, this bank holiday was the first chance we'd had to visit. Honestly, living locally, I was a little sceptical, expecting a farm with a "novelty" appeal of zebras and meerkats...but how wrong I was!! Our two and a half year old thoroughly enjoyed himself.

The entry fee was reasonable, and for an extra 50p, we could get a large bag of bird/duck feed, which our little one loved chucking down for the very friendly birds that followed him around.

We were given an itinerary upon entry, and what a full schedule it is! A talk or feeding opportunity was available almost every hour. Guinea pig feeding (with mini fishing rods) was the first stop...to much amusement of children and adults alike!!

We also attended the creepy crawly talk in the new education centre. I reluctantly went along, as I hate bugs/spiders, but out little one was very keen. What a fabulous talk it was, really involving the children. My son touched a millipead, held a stick insect, and a tarantula (with help!). He's not stopped chatting about it since!!

My partner wanted to listen to the meerkat talk, but our little one wanted to move on and find the wallabies!

We stopped for lunch at the cafe/tea room. I had lunch with me for our son, but we purchased a hot pasty each and a large piece of flapjack to share. Pleasant enough, and the food was lovely, but as the park expands (which you can see it's doing), it would be nice to have "proper" plates and cutlery instead of paper and plastic and I'm sure the menu would also grow, offering a larger choice of lunches. Lovely view out to some of the bird enclosures though, and I loved the decor.

Three play areas provided us with a much needed sit down, whilst our son let off some steam. The play area located in the paddock could do with a couple more benches/tree stumps to allow parents to surpervise the youngsters, whilst admiring the wallabies.

Overall, a fabulous few hours (only 15 minutes from our front door) at this hidden gem, and we will definitely be heading back...I look forward to seeing the continuing improvements and expansion!

1  Thank charliy85

Yes we are definitely not a farm :-) We pride ourselves on our full fun packed activity days where children and adults can get really hands on. To extend our coffee shop would be very expensive and at the moment we are putting all our resource into the animals and outside activities but that may come later who knows? Hope you visit us again soon :-)