“Amazingly cosy.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Axminster
Stockholm, Sweden
“Amazingly cosy.”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I stayed at Kerrington house for a single night in December 2012 whilst travelling through Axminster, specifically to check out River Cottage. Only a five minute walk away from Axminster station, and a 10 minute drive from River Cottage, it's placed perfectly.

We were the only guests staying for the night and we arrived at around 6pm in cold, wet and rainy conditions. We were met at the door and Fiona immediately greeted us with a smile, and attempted to lift my 25kg suitcase up the stairs - I didn't let her!

We arrived back from River Cottage after midnight and there were no problems, and awoke the next morning to Fiona preparing us a breakfast, way, way past the time that breakfast is even offered!

Would definitely stay here again. First choice if visiting River Cottage!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SolskenMaanesken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
London
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We booked 2 rooms here for a stay in March 2013. We stayed in Camelia and Westeria, both rooms being doubles. The rooms were beautifully appointed and very clean. Nice touches included a small decanter of sherry and an excellent selection of teas, coffee and even Horlicks.

The owners clearly take a lot of pride in the property, which is very well maintained. The weather was freezing outside, but the rooms were warm and the beds particularly comfy and inviting.

Breakfast in the morning was one of the best we've ever had. a terrific selection of hot items, as well as all the usual cereals, fruits and juices. There was the offer of extra coffee or toast if required.

We would definetely stay here again. The property has adequate and secure parking, and is ideally placed to explore this part of the world - it is a very easy stroll into Axminster (less than 10 minutes) or by car you can by in Lyme Regis or Seaton in around 10 mins. The local station and buses are close by if you want to leave the car and just explore on foot/public transport.

A great stay.

Room Tip: Both rooms we booked were excellent, but I doubt there is a bad room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My partner and I have just returned from an all too brief stay at this wonderful B&B. We were welcomed on a rainy Friday night by Fiona and the beautiful Beatrice, a huge but soppy Newfoundland! Shown to our room which was at the top of the house with fab views and every personal touch we could think of. Sherry and chocolates, a well stocked tea tray awaited us. After a quick drink from the honesty bar and a warm in front of the fire we retired to our room and the superbly comfortable beds. Next morning we were treated to a fantastic breakfast, everything from cereals, pancakes, smoked salmon to the original full english was on offer. The cooked breakfast has to be seen to be believed.
We would not hesitate to stay here again or advise others to try it as well. Fiona is a fab hostess and we doubt you could find an equally good place to stay if you payed double the room rates.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally well appointed, number 6 is up in the eaves and has excellent views.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Chester
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I stayed at Kerrington House for just the one night as part of a business trip in January 2013. The accommodation is easy to find, just on a main (but not that busy) road heading towards the town centre. I was warmly greeted, firstly with a wave through the kitchen window as I drove through the gates to the secure car-park at the side of the property.

Before I had even opened my car door, Fiona had ventured outside in the dark to greet me by name, this was a most pleasant surprise. Check-in was speedy and the room was excellently equipped with still and sparkling bottled water, a small whisky decanter, complimentary chocolates, ample types of tea, coffee and cookies.

The building is delightful with real character and the feeling that it has a story to tell. The decor is a blend of chic victorian with fashionable twists and the fabulous staircase and landing was a welcoming sight to open my door onto.

In the evening I went for a stroll after a busy day and ventured into town, just a five minute walk took me to a charming chinese restaurant plus there are many convenience stores, pizza takeaway and a couple of pubs within minutes. Fiona has excellent knowledge of where to go and how to get there so just ask!

After a great nights' sleep I headed downstairs to what was one of the nicest English breakfasts I've had in a long time, sourced locally I understand. There was a fantastic choice of beverages and continental options too and the service was first class, but then again, I wasn't surprised by this, because Kerrington house was consistently excellent throughout my time there.

I have further business trips in Axminster this year and already know where I will be staying!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank pjj2k
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

Lovely hotel with a charming, friendly owner. Excellent service and a highly recommended breakfast menu. Would definitely go back and hopefully stay a little longer as I just didn't have time to do everything I wanted to

• Stayed November 2012
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Simply the best B&B we've had the pleasure to stay at. Fiona is a lovely lady with a warm welcome and a beautiful home. Cosy, very comfortable and spotless. Breakfast offered as much choice many 4* or 5* hotels, and was cooked and served to a higher quality than most. There are not many hotels that deliver the standard we experienced at Kerrington House and we look forward to returning.

Room Tip: As Fiona gave us a tour of each room, we can say that although each has a different style they are a...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Booked this hotel for a business trip and needed to cancel. Although the booking terms state that cancellations made outside of 48h are eligible for a full refund, the (extremely rude and abrupt)lady I spoke to on the phone insisted she had to charge £20 cancellation fee (even though the booking was cancelled 4 days before arrival date) because I hadn't cancelled within 7 days of making the booking. I asked her why this isn’t in the booking terms to which she replied 'I'm sure it's in there somewhere'. I later sent a copy of the booking terms by email to the hotel and asked them to highlight where the charge is stated, they didn’t bother replying. Ended up having to wait for the MD of the company to come back from holiday so she could have an argument with them on the phone. Finally got the money back. Shame for the hotel really as we re-booked the business trip for the following week, and ended up booking two nights stay with a different hotel with much friendlier staff who know how to treat their customers. What a bad way to do business….

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Amanda H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Axminster
Dower House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Charmouth
Masons Arms
Masons Arms
#1 of 2 in Branscombe

Been to Kerrington House? Share your experiences!