“Outstanding - could not be bettered”
Review of Kerrington House

Kerrington House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Axminster
England
“Outstanding - could not be bettered”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Fantastic house,room, service, breakfast and people. As good as we have ever had anywhere around the world, even in the very best hotels. Look forward to staying there again and Axminster is well worth another look at as well.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Trigg81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We weren't,t booked to stay here, we were actually booked into Leigh house but there was a family illness and they had managed to get us into kerrington, absolutely beautiful, the room, the bed, best sleep I had, the bathroom, and the breakfast was superb, Fiona thinks of everything, selection of teas, coffees, biscuits etc in the room, lovely toiletries in the bathroom, and we were even able to get our washing done, would highly recommend if you are looking for the proper B and B experience, walking distance to town centre also.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rocloc
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Wow where to start.....I stayed here with my partner over the bank holiday weekend and we had a lovely time! The bed was super comfy, the room was beautiful, the decor was stunning and the house was beautiful. The lovely lady who owns this house is so lovely, so welcoming and very hard working. The girls who helped with Breakfast on Sunday morning were also so polite and friendly. Breakfast was lovely and left me full up for the whole day! If you are staying here over the weekend then make sure you book a restaurant in advance, all the local restaurants were fully booked on our visit and so we had to drive to Lyme Regis which also turned out to be a nightmare......don't resort to eating in the Fernhill hotel......bad food!! But if you're thinking of staying in this B and B then don't hesitate, you really will love this place, the best B and B we have ever been to and we are a fussy couple!! So thank you Kerrington house for the most amazing, peaceful and comfy stay!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RosannaP5984
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I stayed at Kerrington house for a single night in December 2012 whilst travelling through Axminster, specifically to check out River Cottage. Only a five minute walk away from Axminster station, and a 10 minute drive from River Cottage, it's placed perfectly.

We were the only guests staying for the night and we arrived at around 6pm in cold, wet and rainy conditions. We were met at the door and Fiona immediately greeted us with a smile, and attempted to lift my 25kg suitcase up the stairs - I didn't let her!

We arrived back from River Cottage after midnight and there were no problems, and awoke the next morning to Fiona preparing us a breakfast, way, way past the time that breakfast is even offered!

Would definitely stay here again. First choice if visiting River Cottage!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SolskenMaanesken
London
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We booked 2 rooms here for a stay in March 2013. We stayed in Camelia and Westeria, both rooms being doubles. The rooms were beautifully appointed and very clean. Nice touches included a small decanter of sherry and an excellent selection of teas, coffee and even Horlicks.

The owners clearly take a lot of pride in the property, which is very well maintained. The weather was freezing outside, but the rooms were warm and the beds particularly comfy and inviting.

Breakfast in the morning was one of the best we've ever had. a terrific selection of hot items, as well as all the usual cereals, fruits and juices. There was the offer of extra coffee or toast if required.

We would definetely stay here again. The property has adequate and secure parking, and is ideally placed to explore this part of the world - it is a very easy stroll into Axminster (less than 10 minutes) or by car you can by in Lyme Regis or Seaton in around 10 mins. The local station and buses are close by if you want to leave the car and just explore on foot/public transport.

A great stay.

Room Tip: Both rooms we booked were excellent, but I doubt there is a bad room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My partner and I have just returned from an all too brief stay at this wonderful B&B. We were welcomed on a rainy Friday night by Fiona and the beautiful Beatrice, a huge but soppy Newfoundland! Shown to our room which was at the top of the house with fab views and every personal touch we could think of. Sherry and chocolates, a well stocked tea tray awaited us. After a quick drink from the honesty bar and a warm in front of the fire we retired to our room and the superbly comfortable beds. Next morning we were treated to a fantastic breakfast, everything from cereals, pancakes, smoked salmon to the original full english was on offer. The cooked breakfast has to be seen to be believed.
We would not hesitate to stay here again or advise others to try it as well. Fiona is a fab hostess and we doubt you could find an equally good place to stay if you payed double the room rates.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally well appointed, number 6 is up in the eaves and has excellent views.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Chester
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I stayed at Kerrington House for just the one night as part of a business trip in January 2013. The accommodation is easy to find, just on a main (but not that busy) road heading towards the town centre. I was warmly greeted, firstly with a wave through the kitchen window as I drove through the gates to the secure car-park at the side of the property.

Before I had even opened my car door, Fiona had ventured outside in the dark to greet me by name, this was a most pleasant surprise. Check-in was speedy and the room was excellently equipped with still and sparkling bottled water, a small whisky decanter, complimentary chocolates, ample types of tea, coffee and cookies.

The building is delightful with real character and the feeling that it has a story to tell. The decor is a blend of chic victorian with fashionable twists and the fabulous staircase and landing was a welcoming sight to open my door onto.

In the evening I went for a stroll after a busy day and ventured into town, just a five minute walk took me to a charming chinese restaurant plus there are many convenience stores, pizza takeaway and a couple of pubs within minutes. Fiona has excellent knowledge of where to go and how to get there so just ask!

After a great nights' sleep I headed downstairs to what was one of the nicest English breakfasts I've had in a long time, sourced locally I understand. There was a fantastic choice of beverages and continental options too and the service was first class, but then again, I wasn't surprised by this, because Kerrington house was consistently excellent throughout my time there.

I have further business trips in Axminster this year and already know where I will be staying!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank pjj2k
Also consider these accommodations in or near Axminster
Dower House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Charmouth
Masons Arms
Masons Arms
#1 of 2 in Branscombe

Been to Kerrington House? Share your experiences!