“Lovely place to relax after doing the Tongariro crossing”

Central Park Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Taumarunui B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Lovely place to relax after doing the Tongariro crossing”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Really happy to recommend this Motor Inn, we were after a quiet motel with a Spa Bath after a family trip over the Tongariro crossing. We were pleased to find this motel and would stay again. It would be a good base for trips to National Park in all seasons as the mountains are not far away (45mins to Tongariro Crossing carpark).

Welcomed by the host and encouraged to inspect the rooms.

Can also recommend Ruddies Place Cafe in Taumarunui for a great cooked Breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed one night at this motor inn. It's reasonably modern and very clean, but only average quality fittings. The owner/operator is very friendly and welcoming. The restaurant is a bit bizarre - the furnishings and menu scream of the 90s! I didn't eat dinner there because of the strange and expensively priced assortment of dishes but had the continental breakfast the following morning. It was only acceptable - canned fruit salad, little boxes of cereal and toast bread but with a decent coffee machine - for $13.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife and I stayed 2 nights at this motel as we did the "Forgotten World Adventure" (see review) and we wanted to have a leisurely trip.

We had an Executive King Spa Studio suite which was clean, spacious and comfortable. For such a large establishment (30 units) it was remarkably quiet. The motel appears to be aimed principally at the business (reps) market and as such doesn't have a lot of frills.

As they say first impressions are the most important and what lets this place down is the shambolic state of the reception desk/area and the shabby state of the grounds and outbuildings.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Palmerston North
Reviewed 21 January 2014

The rooms in this motel are fine-nicely furnished and with quite comfortable beds. The motel cat will make you feel very welcome! However the whole place has just been missing the mark for years and the owners just don't seem to be prepared to make the relatively minor changes needed to turn average into first choice in this town. While it was great to have a coffee plunger and complimentary plunger coffee to use it would also be nice to have a box of facial tissues in the bathroom!
An on site restaurant should be an asset in a small town where evening dining options are often limited but our previous experience and the disinterest on check in by staff as to whether we would be eating in do not help this motel boost the restaurant side of the business. It should also be a choice dining spot for locals.
The gardens around the motel have the potential to be lovely but need a good weed and regular watering plus the removal of all the cigarette butts would help.What happened to smoker trays for those who feel the need to go outside and smoke?
Re-paving the driveway down to the lower level units rather than having guests having to negotiate numerous potholes would also help. At least this visit the pool looked more inviting not that it was warm enough to jump in.With increased tourism potential from the rail carts adventure and bike trails this motel could be leading the charge for tourist business if it would take a good hard look at itself and make some simple changes to make a stay there a positive memory.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank silverthreads101
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed two nights and also used the conference facilities at this motel. My room was spacious, well-equipped and comfortable and I had a spa bath, which was very enjoyable! I felt there were a number of minor 'details' which could be slightly improved - better first impression when you check in, signs in the rooms to show where things are (I didn't manage to switch my fridge on until the second day!), but the staff are friendly, helpful and efficient. The conference room was well prepared and looked very professional, with high quality presentation equipment provided. Catering for the event was very tasty and well-prepared, although I'd suggest providing a selection of fruit for those of us trying to eat healthily!

This trip was not one of my organisational triumphs and I managed to both lose my watch (thought I'd lost it at the airport, actually) and leave expensive toiletries behind. I e-mailed, asking if they could be returned if I sent addressed packaging and got an instant response, which also confirmed they had found my watch in the room. Overall, a very pleasant and enjoyable stay and I would definitely recommend this motel to other travellers or people wanting to use the conference facilities.

Incidentally, we also ate at the motel restaurant (Zeebers) both nights. The meals were so outstanding that I have written a separate review. The best meals I have had for a long time and easily top restaurant quality.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Faith1000
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Was clean and adequate but very cold. Only small fan heater provided. Thought I would warm up in the shower but had it on full hot and only just warm enough for a shower. Next morning at 8am someone unlocked my front door and started to open it. Realising I was still there locked it again. Im hoping I wont have to stay at this motel next time Im in town.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bronwyn H
Taupo, Waikato, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My son and I stayed here recently, I believe the hosts could do with a hospitality pill and a cleaning lesson. The reception looks like a dumping ground 1st impressions always count.
I have traveled extensively through out our country and I have never come across a place who has a room rate based on 1 person, when it can clearly sleep 3. Room rate based on 2 people I absolutely am use too, but $135.00 and any other person is $10.00 per head. No value for money here. Not to mention my room being left unlocked after servicing, and stained towels and 2nd rate finishing's. The restaurant menu has not consideration for children. NOT HAPPY and would NOT recommend to any one.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Vi P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taumarunui
Alexander Spa Motel
#6 of 6 in Taumarunui
Adventure Lodge & Motel
Adventure Lodge & Motel
#1 of 3 in Tongariro National Park

Been to Central Park Motor Inn? Share your experiences!