“Different Perspective”

and up
20 Tunnel - Rail Cart Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Forgotten World Adventures is the leading adventure provider into a rural area of the North Island of New Zealand known as the Forgotten World. A wide choice of adventures are offered. Railway adventures can be enjoyed from the comfort of a motorised, self driven railcart, or the energetic fun of a self pedalled railbike. River adventures include the exhilaration of our 15 seater jet boat along the Whanganui River. We also offer a helicopter option one way. Choose your transport and choose your adventure into the history and stories of the Forgotten World.
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We did the winter trip, a day trip that loops from Taumaranui through 10 tunnels and includes lunch at the 'Prison Cafe'. This was a great way to see the countryside - surprisingly relaxing and the friendly guides seemed to enjoy it as much as we did. I was glad I wore a warm jacket (as advised when we booked) as the weather was sunny but you catch the breeze at times in the open spaces. We did this as a family with 2 teenagers - and the 16 year-old enjoyed his turn as a driver. It's good to see the rail line being used in this innovative way.

2  Thank AprilChang
in 12 reviews
"local history"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Was a great tour, tour guide was interesting to listen to about the history. Had a good lunch stop including exploring the ghost town. Recommended for all.

1  Thank Evan C
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is a totally Kiwi experience, I was the only non Kiwi on my two day adventure. I had traveled the Forgotten World Highway road twice and wished I could have seen the line when trains were still running. When I heard about these golf carts I set about arranging to visit New Zealand again. This part of North Island is missed by most foreign tourists as it is not on the regular trail (i.e. Auckland, Rotorua, Wellington and on to South Island). The tour group was made up of a friendly bunch of Kiwis who were looking to do doing something a little different, travelling in a golf cart along a mothballed railway line through prehistoric scenery certainly met their criteria. This tour was worth the special trip I made from the UK. The scenery was wonderful, the whole experience was one to remember. Food and toilet breaks were arranged at convenient intervals, by our excellent tour guides. We stopped occasionally for our guides to tell us a little about the life and times of the railway and the people who used or worked on the line, these commentaries were short and informative with more than a few amusing recollections. No need to worry about food on the tour, there are plenty of pick nick breaks, you will need some warm clothing as NZ weather is not predictable, the main thing to remember is a camera, there is plenty to photograph. This has to rate as a "must do" for anyone fortunate enough to live in or travel to New Zealand's North Island....Tim.

7  Thank Timsvideochannel1
Reviewed 17 June 2014

FWA, you did a marvellous job of finding my lost camera( it fell out of my pocket on a cart trip with friends on Taranaki Anniversary weekend 2014) I reported it lost, and 4 weeks later it was found on the track, after getting lost again and recovered again it was mailed back to me . What is more , my pocket sized Nikon still works after several rainy days on the tracks in the Naki back country.
Thanks FWA, for such good service. As for the trip, we had so much fun, and would recommend it to anyone of any age. Loved it
Jenny